Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Hibiscus: Stopped Blooming ???

Communities > Forums > Hibiscus
bookmark
Forum: HibiscusReplies: 2, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
denniscj7
Roswell, GA

July 20, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6841393

I have a Luna Pink Swirl that has bloomed profusely throughout June and first few days of July. Now, no blooms at all. There are lot of buds that seem to be frozen in time, i.e. not changing. They are about 3/4" diameter and 1" long and feel to be quite hard. I don't see anything on them like bugs or disease. This is the 3rd year for this plant. It's been getting plenty of water but not too much and liquid feeding every 2 weeks. I'm in zone 7b. Any ideas as to what I need to do?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6842837

If the plants are looking healthy I'd just be patient--if the plants are happy and have buds forming it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong, sometimes you just need to hang in there and wait for the plant to do what it wants. I only grow tropicals so I don't know if this is true for hardies as well, but the tropicals tend to bloom in waves where you get a bunch of blooms, then it'll take a little break to develop some more buds, then it'll bloom again. And when you're in one of those phases where it's developing buds, it can seem to take forever sometimes for them to get around to blooming. With the tropicals, hot weather will often speed up the bud development and cooler/cloudy weather will slow it down so maybe weather could be playing a role as well.
trickiwoo
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6924514

My hardies bloom then take a short vacation & bloom again. Think the heat gets to them.
My brugs do the same thing. Meanwhile my water bill is higher than my electric bill so its not lack of water that is affecting them. Just this relentless Tx heat.

Judy

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America