Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Spectacular Flowering Dogwoods: Eastern Dogwood hardiness

Communities > Forums > Article: The Spectacular Flowering Dogwoods
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Spectacular Flowering DogwoodsReplies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6841634

Thanks for the article. GREAT photos! AND usefull information.

For those of us who are on the hardiness margins of where Cornus florida grows, I heard somewhere along the way that the pink and red varieties are less hardy than the white. My experience in Northeastern PA bears this out. Our native whites will bloom most years, but I have yet to have the generic pink I planted in a sheltered spot bloom in the 6 years I've had it. It grows, forms flower buds by Fall, but in spring, they fail to open, are dry, and fall off. I've had this occur with a 'Royal Red' as well.

I've also not been able to get a Kousa to grow -- they have all frozen out -- but I suspect this to be due to the small-sized starts I used (less than 1.5 ft). I think, maybe, if I start with a large caliper tree, it would have a much better change. Your article has inspired me to try again!

Thanks again.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2009
6:06 PM

Post #6842388

Kousa should be more reliable in 5a than florida...I think a larger plant might do better as well.

Todd
holeth
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8662270

The wild C. florida is taller (20-30ft), spindly & almost always white. I've seen some with pinkish areas near the indentations in the petal (sepal?). I agree, they grow at higher elevations than cultivated varieties, especially on the Blue Ridge/Appalachian Tr & South Mountain (Reading Prong for geologists), & not just because those are the only wild areas remaining in our areas. I have not seen them in great valley second growth, despite plenty of bushy-tailed & feathery dispersers & adjoining habitat along streams & rivers. Meanwhile ornamental cultivars abound in the valley & are OK until the mildew hits.

BTW, TY for this article. I'm encouraged by the Rutgers research. Kousa has become so dominant due to disease paranoia. What are we going to do, outlaw a species in its native range? Next, shall we kill the wild specimens to protect nursery stock? If C. florida is sick, I'd rather say, "plant a redbud," but it seems that redbud canker is considered as much as an issue as anthracnose.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Spectacular Flowering Dogwoods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwoods bugme 0 Jul 18, 2009 11:14 AM
dogwood in distress? dalry 5 Jun 27, 2011 1:25 PM
Lastest blooming dogwood? robinson1010 1 Jul 21, 2009 9:56 AM
Cornus Satomi Pink flowering dogwood Nannygirl 1 Jul 21, 2009 9:55 AM
C. Kousa does not flower SKoning 2 Apr 22, 2010 11:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America