Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: Bugs in my zucchini

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 10, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sherlyn
Clifton Hill, MO

July 20, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6841811

I have the gray bugs in my zucchini and already have one plant that has died. I saw in one of the forums here that they used Murphy's Oil Soap but couldn't remember what they used it for and wondered if I could use that or if that is used for something else. Thanks for all the help I get on here!
leclare
Nashville, TN

July 21, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6845870

I have the same problem in Tennessee -- the light gray bugs with black legs (whose bodies are sort of the shape of attack starfleet ships in Star Wars) have already killed two gorgeous big plants and are headed for the third. I tried spraying Neem on them. They apparently are unfazed. Help! I'm looking for an organic solution -- if one exists.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6846004

Are they squash bugs?
leclare
Nashville, TN

July 22, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6850601

Yes, I looked at a picture and they are squash bugs.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 23, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6856277

The only way to get rid of stinkbugs aside from hand picking, which is tedious and not very effective,is to use the pesticide Malathion. I know alot of organic folks will gasp at the idea of using it there is no other alternative that will rid these buggers.
lilypotter
Hyderabad
India

July 24, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6858636

Well, I donot recommend any kind of pesticide on plants especially on fruits and vegetables. they are not only harmful to the plants but also to those who eat them. Since the purpose of these products is to kill pests, you can bet that many of them have ingredients in them that are also harmful to humans. For example, the active ingredient in Round-Up—a weed-killer popular with gardeners—is known to cause kidney damage and reproductive harm in mice. And cypermethrin, one of the active ingredients in the popular ant and roach-killer Raid, is a known eye, skin and respiratory irritant and has negative effects on the central nervous system. Read more about chemical fertilizers here: http://www.sustainlane.com/reviews/ten-products-you-should-ban-from-your-home-forever/YSDLWL22O1U2SBV7D13YUD3KXWOR
Why don't you think about an organic solution the plants.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 24, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6861109

I've read that they don't like fire, so one poster on here uses an Aim & Flame type thing to chase them away from her veggies. You could give it a try and see if it works! LOL
sherlyn
Clifton Hill, MO

July 26, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6868202

Does anyone have the organic solution to bug problems in the garden?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6869030

There are several types of solutions and it depends on what kind of bugs you have.
waggoner41
Ciudad Colon
Costa Rica
(Zone 11)

January 29, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7507702

The best "insecticide" that I have found is diatomacious earth. It is composed of the ground up shells of sea diatoms found in our oceans. When ground up they break into microscopic needle sharp shards.
Diatomacious earth works by cutting into and removing the protective waxy coating of insects. The insects simply dehydrate.
This powder is not harmful to man or animals and I commonly broadcast it by hand befora I found a hand driven machine that would expel the powder in a cloud. It has been very effective.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2010
4:59 AM

Post #7524659

I read that if you plant marigolds in a circle and then put the squash plant in the center of the circle that will help deter the squash bugs. It's on my list of things to try this summer! Can't vouch for it! Like the idea of the diatomacious earth but am careful not to use too much on the ground since I believe it will injure the earthworms if they go over it. I tend to use it in my Earthboxes or on my straw bales against slugs. Will try that also next summer with the squash - whatever works!! LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America