Fancy-Bloomers African Violet grower

Medford, NJ

I placed two orders with this grower, fancy-bloomers.com, and it was a very positive experience. First I had some trouble using my CC on the site, but the owner was very quick to respond and repair the situation. The plants sent were beautiful, carefully packed, and arrived very quickly. Both were blooming. I believe she ships year round depending on weather, and if it is going to be too hot or too cold, she uses insulated boxes. She has a nice bit of everything AV, inc chimeras, russian, etc.

Isn't there a place somewhere here on this forum where you can write a review?

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 7:17 PM

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey, jmp! You will have to show us your new little beauties. Try going into products and sources and click on The Garden Watchdog. You can add a new company there. If I am wrong, someone will hopefully correct me shortly :)

Connie

Medford, NJ

I would love to show you, but the plants I got were not for me, they were plants I had shipped to others as thankyou gifts- I did get to see photos, though, and they were nice plants! I found out about this grower from a member of our local AV club, who spoke very highly of her. She is a busy person, does alot of weekend shows, so I have not been able to set up a time yet where I can visit her place - she's withing driving distance, veeeerrrry dangerous!

You are right, Garden Watchdog is where you put reviews - I added her and am waiting for approval, then I can write the review

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

here is a plant a good friend ordered for me thru fancy bloomers, just beautiful cherokee trail
bonnie

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I went to site and it is down for construction right now,but I will try it another time!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

It was there yesterday--looked pretty good. Wish I had taken a closer look yesterday. Now I'll have to wait--oh well.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love Cherokee Trail............I went to the site but it was all cut flower arrangements???

Medford, NJ

http://www.fancy-bloomers.com/

Gail, I don't know where you were, no cut flowers though! Try above link

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

(laughing as I type).......thanks.........don't know where I was.........with all the cut flowers to be sent out..........

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Jmp24-
I called and placed an order. I told her to give you all the credit for my order :0)

She had some nice ones, and I am really looking forward to them. There was one I really wanted badly, but she just sold the last one...but, she offered to go look, and said she'd sell me some leaves...yay!

She said she really needs to restock the website, and said she'd have a lot more listed soon.

Thanks for the referral! I'll post pics when they arrive :0)
-T

Medford, NJ

T- can't wait to see what you got, be sure to post them here when they arrive! She has an awesome selection of standards, saw quite a few I'd like to get, but I can drive to her place, maybe a half hour away, and pick mine out in person. And you know what that means....I will buy way more than I planned! Just need to work out a day where she will be around and I have time to go -

Ok, well here goes...

The box came this morning, and I am pleased, except for the fact that the mail people must have played volleyball with the box. Only one plant did not have broken leaves, and the two packages of leaves only, were ALL snapped off at the neck. :0(

I actually got two orders in today.

Hers is all the plants and leaves to the middle and left, and the three smaller plants to the far right, are from an ebay order. I took this pic to show how much larger hers were than the ebay ones.

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

poor little leaves were all snapped right at the base of the leaves...every single one!

I called and she told me how to hopefully salvage them

She had me slice across the bottoms

and then stick, and cover...

HOPE IT WORKS!!

I got leaves of high school sweetheart and Ma's winter moon, and she said that was the last of ma's for a while, so REALLY hope these take!

I also stuck the broken stem in there, just to see what happens.
-T

In their new home, here is alamo gold fever...love the foliage...it is just beautiful with its white and peachy-pink in the leaves, and so frilly

easter angel

and irish mint...man does this one have some dark red undersides!

In the end, I'm loving the size of the blooms she sent, but have to admit, that the box was a dirt mess, and broken leaves, and they all pretty much needed repotting because of all the loose dirt.

While the other vendor sent smaller plants, but not one broken leaf...

I think it had to do with the packaging. The ebay person used insulation,(which I hate because of the fiberglass), but love the way they used the cups with the skewer to hold them secure and protect the leaves. I think this is the best way to pack them.

top view

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Isn't it exciting to get babies in the mail? Sorry about the volleyball tourney but they look pretty good. Very pretty in your cups! Keep me posted and let me know how those leaves do. Wonder if you will get more babies than from the stem cutting. Just curious as to how that will root for you.

Connie

But, I'll admit, it is very nice to receive near full sized plants, and also I like that here insulation was styrofoam, not fiberglass.

The ideal package would have had styrofoam, and used the styrofoam cups...at least that is my opinion, and the way that I'll use to send them, when my turn comes :0)

In the end I am quite pleased, and I hope that her way of salvaging broken leaves will work. She was very nice and sincere and tried her best. They did arrive VERY quickly! I'm happy with my order.

Medford, NJ

Aww, sorry to hear about the broken leaves - Are you sure it was the post offices fault? Either way, I salvaged some broken leaves with the above method, and some have rooted - no babies yet though, but it is still too early.

I have a small Ma's Winter Moon, and I also think I have two leaves rooted of Ma's - or at least one. You know how it is, you accidentally break a leaf and you can't just throw it away!! If yours don't make it, let me know, I can send you either a baby or leaves when the weather starts to cool down in Sept. - hopefully a baby plant.
Everybody loves Ma's Winter Moon, don't they?

Nice selection, love the Gold Fever too - and the Easter Angel!

Connie-
Yes, I am very curious, too. Before today, I just thought they were a lost cause, but I was setting them down horizontally(like some do with streps), but she said no, cut the bottoms.

She said many times this way will produce more babies than just doing the stem. If that is the case, then this will be a good thing coming from something bad. I would love for it to work, but I'd be even more pleased if it produced MORE than the usual way :0)

I did forget to mention one step...after you slice the bottom horizontally, you are supposed to soak in lukewarm water for a bit before you stick & cover

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Interesting! How deep did you stick those? I truly would like for you to keep me updated to see how many form from this and if the babies form quicker or take longer than from a stem cutting. Awesome...new experiment starting....

Connie

jmp24-
Oh good! Glad to hear this might work!!

And, Yes, please mentally put my name on one of those Ma's, please :0)

She said she needs to let it regrow a while, so it will be quite a while before she has leaves, and even longer before she has a plant...

I just recently added my violets in my journal(more than half had to be entered into plantfiles from scratch!!), but anyway, if you'd like to browse, for a preview for September, feel free.

I also have another order coming from Blossoms, Birds, & Butterflies, so will add those in my journal when they get here.

I think it was:
pink mint
mint condition
ramblin lasse
apache princess
blue dragon
curly sport of leprechaun's daydream leaves
& silverglade oysters leaves

Here is the permanest try full of broken leaves, plus some of my own.

Connie-
ok, i will :0)

I think she said not more than 1/3 of the leaf, and to be honest, I was shy with the depth, for fear of rot, so only really covered the cut end about a half-inch.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

There is absolutely no excuse for not packing avs the correct way. I don't care who the vendor on ebay was. She should have sent your money back or new plants. That is totally unacceptable.

I just received 16 plants today from Lyndon Lyons Greenhouse without one single leaf broken.....a few broken leaves is not a big deal unless it happens on many of them. You are being nicer than I would be and I sell and buy both on ebay.

Just my humble opinion............

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh, Gail...Tell us what new little beauties you got today. Show and tell time :)

Medford, NJ

I'll definitely get a Winters Moon to you, I just checked and I do have 2 leaves rooted. At least one should produce!

Another way I have tried with broken leaves is to cut wedges out of the bottom of the leaf, leaving the middle stem part.

Here is a very bad diagram...1st pic is leaf with no stem left. Cut along dotted lines, sort of making your own stem. I have a few where I just tried this about a month ago, one didn't make it, the other is rooted. This will probably not produce extra babies though.

I remember a long time ago seeing someone root AV leaves the way you root begonia leaves, but slashing little cuts across some of the veins then pinning the leaf flat to soil. Babies come up all over the leaf where the cuts were.. Obviously this works better with bigger leaves.

Really, I am surprised that leaves would be so easily broken while being shipped. How were they packed?

Thumbnail by jmp24
Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

I saw something like that second diagram years ago and forgot about it. I am not sure on the details. I read it in a book somewhere. What does Winter Moon look like?

As soon as it cools down for some of you, I need to make some episcia trades. Seedpicker, I need to send you a d-mail and let you know what I have so I can get a stolon or two started and ready for that trade.

Connie

Gail-
isn't it funny what irks us, and what doesn't...I was actually more bothered by having to touch all the fiberglass from the ebay box, than I was bothered that a few leaves broke :0)

By the way, the ebay vendor sent tiny plants, but not one broken leaf. They used the cups.

It was the order from the nice woman that jmp24 recommended, that had the broken leaves. She lined the box with styrofoam panels , and then wrapped each plant in newspaper...sorta like a cone. And, then used shredded paper as the filler, because she said she had run out of peanuts...

She offered to replace them if they don't make it, so I am fine with that, except the ma's w. moon won't be ready for a LONG time...I'd probably just have to pick a replacement in that event.

jmp24-
Thanks for the diagram. Actually that is exactly the way I was previously trying a leaf situation like this, and they rotted every single time. I had read that was the way to do it in one of my propagation books, but maybe I just have really sensitive varieties...who knows, but this way she was recommending was ALSO in that book, so here's hoping ;0)

Connie-
don't worry...I have that one coming out my ears right now, lol

I keep sticking stolons, and they keep producing more! ;0)

here is her picture of ma's winter moon

her picture of irish mint

and her picture of easter angel

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh, very pretty pic! That's good...Keep sticking lol. I have one now that is trying to bloom. Hopefully it will be open tomorow and I can take a pic. I have never seen a bloom on this one and it looks like it will be a yellow/orange. Can't wait. You may like it :)

Connie

and her picture of alamo gold fever. It is actually even prettier in person.

There are some patches that are true pink, but others have a sort of peach color to them, and also the white and green. Just lovely

The blooms are nog bad, either!

The leaves are very frilled and feminine

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

They are all pretty but love that alamo. Maybe it is the variegation, or the bloom, or both, or.,..lol very nice!

Yes, please share it with us, when it opens. I was watching a peach colored bloom on ebay this week, called 'Spring Peach' and it sold for over $30

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images