Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jmp24
Medford, NJ

July 20, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6841998

I placed two orders with this grower, fancy-bloomers.com, and it was a very positive experience. First I had some trouble using my CC on the site, but the owner was very quick to respond and repair the situation. The plants sent were beautiful, carefully packed, and arrived very quickly. Both were blooming. I believe she ships year round depending on weather, and if it is going to be too hot or too cold, she uses insulated boxes. She has a nice bit of everything AV, inc chimeras, russian, etc.

Isn't there a place somewhere here on this forum where you can write a review?

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 7:17 PM
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6842049

Hey, jmp! You will have to show us your new little beauties. Try going into products and sources and click on The Garden Watchdog. You can add a new company there. If I am wrong, someone will hopefully correct me shortly :)

Connie
jmp24
Medford, NJ

July 20, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6842245

I would love to show you, but the plants I got were not for me, they were plants I had shipped to others as thankyou gifts- I did get to see photos, though, and they were nice plants! I found out about this grower from a member of our local AV club, who spoke very highly of her. She is a busy person, does alot of weekend shows, so I have not been able to set up a time yet where I can visit her place - she's withing driving distance, veeeerrrry dangerous!

You are right, Garden Watchdog is where you put reviews - I added her and am waiting for approval, then I can write the review
mrsbonnie
Ottawa, IL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6843478

here is a plant a good friend ordered for me thru fancy bloomers, just beautiful cherokee trail
bonnie

Thumbnail by mrsbonnie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6847542

I went to site and it is down for construction right now,but I will try it another time!
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6847725

It was there yesterday--looked pretty good. Wish I had taken a closer look yesterday. Now I'll have to wait--oh well.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6848720

I love Cherokee Trail...I went to the site but it was all cut flower arrangements???
jmp24
Medford, NJ

July 22, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6848859

http://www.fancy-bloomers.com/

Gail, I don't know where you were, no cut flowers though! Try above link
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6849015

(laughing as I type)...thanks...don't know where I was...with all the cut flowers to be sent out...
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6851611

Jmp24-
I called and placed an order. I told her to give you all the credit for my order :0)

She had some nice ones, and I am really looking forward to them. There was one I really wanted badly, but she just sold the last one...but, she offered to go look, and said she'd sell me some leaves...yay!

She said she really needs to restock the website, and said she'd have a lot more listed soon.

Thanks for the referral! I'll post pics when they arrive :0)
-T
jmp24
Medford, NJ

July 22, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6851756

T- can't wait to see what you got, be sure to post them here when they arrive! She has an awesome selection of standards, saw quite a few I'd like to get, but I can drive to her place, maybe a half hour away, and pick mine out in person. And you know what that means...I will buy way more than I planned! Just need to work out a day where she will be around and I have time to go -
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #6861405

Ok, well here goes...

The box came this morning, and I am pleased, except for the fact that the mail people must have played volleyball with the box. Only one plant did not have broken leaves, and the two packages of leaves only, were ALL snapped off at the neck. :0(

I actually got two orders in today.

Hers is all the plants and leaves to the middle and left, and the three smaller plants to the far right, are from an ebay order. I took this pic to show how much larger hers were than the ebay ones.

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6861409

poor little leaves were all snapped right at the base of the leaves...every single one!

I called and she told me how to hopefully salvage them

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6861414

She had me slice across the bottoms

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6861419

and then stick, and cover...

HOPE IT WORKS!!

I got leaves of high school sweetheart and Ma's winter moon, and she said that was the last of ma's for a while, so REALLY hope these take!

I also stuck the broken stem in there, just to see what happens.
-T

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6861424

In their new home, here is alamo gold fever...love the foliage...it is just beautiful with its white and peachy-pink in the leaves, and so frilly

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6861427

easter angel

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6861431

and irish mint...man does this one have some dark red undersides!

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6861445

In the end, I'm loving the size of the blooms she sent, but have to admit, that the box was a dirt mess, and broken leaves, and they all pretty much needed repotting because of all the loose dirt.

While the other vendor sent smaller plants, but not one broken leaf...

I think it had to do with the packaging. The ebay person used insulation,(which I hate because of the fiberglass), but love the way they used the cups with the skewer to hold them secure and protect the leaves. I think this is the best way to pack them.

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6861448

top view

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6861464

Isn't it exciting to get babies in the mail? Sorry about the volleyball tourney but they look pretty good. Very pretty in your cups! Keep me posted and let me know how those leaves do. Wonder if you will get more babies than from the stem cutting. Just curious as to how that will root for you.

Connie
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6861468

But, I'll admit, it is very nice to receive near full sized plants, and also I like that here insulation was styrofoam, not fiberglass.

The ideal package would have had styrofoam, and used the styrofoam cups...at least that is my opinion, and the way that I'll use to send them, when my turn comes :0)

In the end I am quite pleased, and I hope that her way of salvaging broken leaves will work. She was very nice and sincere and tried her best. They did arrive VERY quickly! I'm happy with my order.

jmp24
Medford, NJ

July 25, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6861480

Aww, sorry to hear about the broken leaves - Are you sure it was the post offices fault? Either way, I salvaged some broken leaves with the above method, and some have rooted - no babies yet though, but it is still too early.

I have a small Ma's Winter Moon, and I also think I have two leaves rooted of Ma's - or at least one. You know how it is, you accidentally break a leaf and you can't just throw it away!! If yours don't make it, let me know, I can send you either a baby or leaves when the weather starts to cool down in Sept. - hopefully a baby plant.
Everybody loves Ma's Winter Moon, don't they?

Nice selection, love the Gold Fever too - and the Easter Angel!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6861488

Connie-
Yes, I am very curious, too. Before today, I just thought they were a lost cause, but I was setting them down horizontally(like some do with streps), but she said no, cut the bottoms.

She said many times this way will produce more babies than just doing the stem. If that is the case, then this will be a good thing coming from something bad. I would love for it to work, but I'd be even more pleased if it produced MORE than the usual way :0)

I did forget to mention one step...after you slice the bottom horizontally, you are supposed to soak in lukewarm water for a bit before you stick & cover

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6861542

Interesting! How deep did you stick those? I truly would like for you to keep me updated to see how many form from this and if the babies form quicker or take longer than from a stem cutting. Awesome...new experiment starting...

Connie
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6861550

jmp24-
Oh good! Glad to hear this might work!!

And, Yes, please mentally put my name on one of those Ma's, please :0)

She said she needs to let it regrow a while, so it will be quite a while before she has leaves, and even longer before she has a plant...

I just recently added my violets in my journal(more than half had to be entered into plantfiles from scratch!!), but anyway, if you'd like to browse, for a preview for September, feel free.

I also have another order coming from Blossoms, Birds, & Butterflies, so will add those in my journal when they get here.

I think it was:
pink mint
mint condition
ramblin lasse
apache princess
blue dragon
curly sport of leprechaun's daydream leaves
& silverglade oysters leaves

Here is the permanest try full of broken leaves, plus some of my own.

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
12:59 AM

Post #6861564

Connie-
ok, i will :0)

I think she said not more than 1/3 of the leaf, and to be honest, I was shy with the depth, for fear of rot, so only really covered the cut end about a half-inch.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6861571

There is absolutely no excuse for not packing avs the correct way. I don't care who the vendor on ebay was. She should have sent your money back or new plants. That is totally unacceptable.

I just received 16 plants today from Lyndon Lyons Greenhouse without one single leaf broken...a few broken leaves is not a big deal unless it happens on many of them. You are being nicer than I would be and I sell and buy both on ebay.

Just my humble opinion...
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6861603

Oh, Gail...Tell us what new little beauties you got today. Show and tell time :)
jmp24
Medford, NJ

July 25, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6861612

I'll definitely get a Winters Moon to you, I just checked and I do have 2 leaves rooted. At least one should produce!

Another way I have tried with broken leaves is to cut wedges out of the bottom of the leaf, leaving the middle stem part.

Here is a very bad diagram...1st pic is leaf with no stem left. Cut along dotted lines, sort of making your own stem. I have a few where I just tried this about a month ago, one didn't make it, the other is rooted. This will probably not produce extra babies though.

I remember a long time ago seeing someone root AV leaves the way you root begonia leaves, but slashing little cuts across some of the veins then pinning the leaf flat to soil. Babies come up all over the leaf where the cuts were.. Obviously this works better with bigger leaves.

Really, I am surprised that leaves would be so easily broken while being shipped. How were they packed?

Thumbnail by jmp24

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6861639

I saw something like that second diagram years ago and forgot about it. I am not sure on the details. I read it in a book somewhere. What does Winter Moon look like?

As soon as it cools down for some of you, I need to make some episcia trades. Seedpicker, I need to send you a d-mail and let you know what I have so I can get a stolon or two started and ready for that trade.

Connie
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6861644

Gail-
isn't it funny what irks us, and what doesn't...I was actually more bothered by having to touch all the fiberglass from the ebay box, than I was bothered that a few leaves broke :0)

By the way, the ebay vendor sent tiny plants, but not one broken leaf. They used the cups.

It was the order from the nice woman that jmp24 recommended, that had the broken leaves. She lined the box with styrofoam panels , and then wrapped each plant in newspaper...sorta like a cone. And, then used shredded paper as the filler, because she said she had run out of peanuts...

She offered to replace them if they don't make it, so I am fine with that, except the ma's w. moon won't be ready for a LONG time...I'd probably just have to pick a replacement in that event.

jmp24-
Thanks for the diagram. Actually that is exactly the way I was previously trying a leaf situation like this, and they rotted every single time. I had read that was the way to do it in one of my propagation books, but maybe I just have really sensitive varieties...who knows, but this way she was recommending was ALSO in that book, so here's hoping ;0)
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6861652

Connie-
don't worry...I have that one coming out my ears right now, lol

I keep sticking stolons, and they keep producing more! ;0)

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6861662

here is her picture of ma's winter moon

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6861670

her picture of irish mint

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6861671

and her picture of easter angel

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6861678

Oh, very pretty pic! That's good...Keep sticking lol. I have one now that is trying to bloom. Hopefully it will be open tomorow and I can take a pic. I have never seen a bloom on this one and it looks like it will be a yellow/orange. Can't wait. You may like it :)

Connie
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009

Post #6861679

and her picture of alamo gold fever. It is actually even prettier in person.

There are some patches that are true pink, but others have a sort of peach color to them, and also the white and green. Just lovely

The blooms are nog bad, either!

The leaves are very frilled and feminine

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6861686

They are all pretty but love that alamo. Maybe it is the variegation, or the bloom, or both, or.,..lol very nice!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6861690

Yes, please share it with us, when it opens. I was watching a peach colored bloom on ebay this week, called 'Spring Peach' and it sold for over $30

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6861708

Wow! I can't say much though. I wanted Cleo sooo bad and before they changed ebay to all pay pal, I bid and got Cleo for 24.00 and she didn't make it. She was small and I don't think she had much of a chance.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6861753

I think it all depends on the mood I am in (lol) as to whether I am upset about it or not. If I need leaves, then it is no big deal. In my situation I already have trays of av leaves stuck. (When I don't have a petiole to the leaf, I just turn my leaf over and take a razor blade cutting into the leaf to make a little stem to stick).

I didn't know you had episicas, aspenjocop!! (smiling) We have to make a trade when the weather eases a bit down here. I just started with epicias again and forget how much I really like them...

OK...one of my daughters, her husband and 3 kids left today and "Nana' is really tired tonight. I can't keep up with them like I used to. The oldest one just wants to drive my car around the farm (no roads out side the farm)...so that is easy. She is getting good at it and all I have to do is be the passenger and make suggestions. The 8 year old just wants to drive the gator with his daddy on the gator. So cute he is!!! He drove down this morning to see 24 new baby fawns.

The funniest part of his stay was that I had killed a rattlesnake a couple of days before they came so I save it for my grandson. He is so excited because he has take for show and tell in science something he saved from a summer trip. That rattlesnake has been in a box in my house for days now!!!!

Love for all of them to come (all my adult kids and familis) and glad to see them go home, too. (smiling)

Love your pictures, seedpicker!!!
I have grown Ma's Winter Moon and really loved her. Irish Mint has great blossom color I think.

Will take pictures of my plants tomorrow that I got from LLG> Most are substitutes...bummer...but at least they are all healthy nice plants. I am not sure why they sent all shades of purple and blue. (2 pink) (2 or 3 magenta)...

I have to spend every moment this coming week potting up strep babies and av babies...plus starting episcia stolons, too.

Quickly running out of growing space.

I took picture tonight but too tired to upload them to the computer ...Granny might have to do nothing tonight but wait until tomorrow...^_^
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6861760

oh, that is a shame...

There is one that I bid on two weeks ago, that went for $100...and I was sorry I didn't bid that high!!...crazy, I know...but man is it something...
-T
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6861772

oh, Gail!

I'll bet your grandson is in heaven, having a real snake to show at school!! He will be the envy of all the boys that day! ;0)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6861777

Our local club president says I am nuts to pay more than 5 dollars for any african violet leaf, but it is hard not to when you find something just exquisite!!!

Wasn't that some kind of new chimera...can't remember but I did see it at the time...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6861787

When I upload my photos tomorrow...I will have to show what the middle grand does with my office every time she comes to see me. There are 4 gro light stands in here and she makes an apartment out of the office. She uses my blooming plants and to decorate her 'apartment' pretending she is in college. (She is not a teenager yet...not even close)

Yes, he will be the envy of his friends with his snake...too funny...
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6861791

I'm afraid to even describe it, or mention its name, until I get one!, LOL...don't want to create more interest, and thus more bidders, than there are, already :0)

After I get one, however, I'll want to brag to the entire world, lol...
-T
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6861794

how did you kill it? they are so venomous, and I would be so frightened to get anywhere NEAR them, much less close enough to kill one
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6861797

You are too funny,T!!!! Whenever there is something really good on ebay, I always dmail all my close friends on the AV forum to see if they are bidding so we won't be bidding against each other...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6861812

Actually this snake got eaten up by the weed eater when I was cleaning up around the house before they came knowing that we have had a lot of coral snakes and rattle snakes this summer...

But I have killed many of them with a hoe...ideally, I would like to get right behind the head, but don't always manage to aim exactly...one time I put the hoe down in the middle of the snake and was terrified. Once you get that hoe down, you don't want to lift it until the snake is dead. That requires putting your foot down on the hoe with all your power and pressure. I was so scared he would turn his head around and bite me!! Luckily he didn't...
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6861823

You are a pretty "Groovy Granny", Gail! LOL!!! Rattlesnake dead or alive...not in my home if I can help it. You are too funny. Gotta send a pic of that apartment also. Sounds cute. You should have went in and had tea in her new condo. Bet you would love her plants. LOL

Connie
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
2:01 AM

Post #6861833

I'm sitting here picturing the close call snake senario, and shivering...literally.

I've read the description of how painful it can be(if you don't die!!) from one of our members, and it is downright scary how much pain they can inflict.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2009 8:02 PM
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6861850

I agree, T! I don't even want to be around them or any snake. I tried to hit a garden snake with a push lawnmower and the darn thing started to slither up the motor. I kept lifting the front of the mower...DUH...didn't help. I left the mower and in the house I went!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6861868

I would have done the same thing! I've seen footage of them actually CHASING people,and they are much faster than I am, lol...
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6861884

Oh, yeah! Thank goodness I live in a town now and less chances of running into them. God bless you, Gail!

The light is not good right now for taking pics, but look at this bud, T.

Thumbnail by aspenjocop

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6861913

The lighting is perfecto for those magnificent leaf coloring!!! Might 'purty'!!

When I came back to the farm a few years ago, my brother sat me down and told me what to be afraid of and what NOT to be afraid of. It has really helped ...If I saw a rattlesnake longer than 3 feet, you bet your 'booty' I would run like he**...if they are smaller, I do kill them.

But remember, what can really kill you and what can't kill you. As long as you get to a hospital within an hour or two, a rattlesnake is not going to kill you...I truly know what to be afraid of out here...I knew it when I grew up but forgot as I was gone for over 40 years before I came back home...

Got to call another child back to talk...good night, ladies!!!
please save a stolon from whatever picture you just posted, aspenjocop!!!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
10:58 AM

Post #6862690

aspen-
I was thinking you meat an AV with yelllow/orange, lol...

Beautiful episcia. Do you know the name? I just love how bright the blooms are on these plants. My pink smoke are just electric, as I am sure yours are going to be.

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6863179

This one is Glitter Magic and I have never seen a pic of it in bloom. It started out yellow, then a slight blush on the tip. Still not open this morning but I can't wait.

Thumbnail by aspenjocop

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6863196

drum roll...

it is going to be a beauty!!
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6863209

The plant has a high metallic sheen...LOVE IT! Oh, yes, can't wait for the pink smoke. That plant is awesome (drool). I will keep you posted. My Silver Sheen is in bloom as well as my Chocolate Cream. Seems like the blooms are pretty much the same color. I check everyday for buds on my Chocolate Velour. Beautiful dark brown leaves and should bloom yellow. No buds yet on it.

Connie

Thumbnail by aspenjocop

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6863217

oh, yes...can't wait! A watched bud never blooms? LOL Back to the earlier thread, Yes, Gail, there is one with your name on it too :)
jmp24
Medford, NJ

July 25, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6863238

Good Lord, Gail. You Texas women are tough. I need to dig out my pics of when I was in the Jasper TX area, one of the neighbors of where I was visiting (this was out in the country, ya'll) caught a rattler that was longer than me. He held it up next to me for the photo. Yikes.

Anyway, seedpicker, I am glad to hear that Donna offered to replace your leaves if they don't make it. And you don't have to worry about Ma's Winter Moon, I have you covered there!

I have to say I think some of the ebay prices are insane and I don't think I'd pay them even if I had that kind of money. Maybe there are some vintage violets that should be a little more expensive, but my goodness, $$100???? that is just nuts!
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6863248

Tayor, when that alamo gets settled in and starts growing for you...gotta get a leaf from you!
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
2:57 PM

Post #6863253

Taylor (sorry) can't spell today lol
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6863309

jmp24...just wait until you see it, and THEN you can tell me if $100 is too high, lol...

Aspen-is that second picture glitter magic, or silver sheen?

Yes, I was even admiring the alamo gold fever again, myself, this morning... I wanted to be sure the leaves were truly peachy, and that is was not my imagination.

It is definitely a peach...it matches my skin!

Here is a top view of foliage with my finger to show:

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6863311

hm...camera not picking it up that well...closer shot

seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
3:25 PM

Post #6863318

Well, here is a repeat shot from yesterday...this is alamo gold fever showing the underside of the petals. They have a pink tint to them. Maybe it is this pink underside, that is showing through(combined with the whitish yellow variegation) that is making it look peach...

but, trust me...in person it looks peach...camera is just not getting the colors right :0)

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6863378

It is Glitter Magic. Here is a pic with them side by side. RIght is Glitter Magic and left is Silver Sheen. Pics don't do justice for Glitter and it does look like Silver Sheen in the pic.

Thumbnail by aspenjocop

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6863385

It is hard to get good shots but you have sold me on the alamo! Ma's Winter Moon is another.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6863387

I know what you mean...those can be so hard to capture the glitter in...

I took a dozen shots in different lighting, and at different angles, to get the glitter to finally show on this pink smoke

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6863392

And there she is...words just can't describe it.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6863395

I meant to say earlier, that I can either leave the alamo alone, or I can take off 5 leaves...(to keep it growing symmetrically) ...so I'll probably not be able to resist removing some leaves, but I want to give it some time to recuperate from just getting mailed to me, before I do.

I'll try to stick some in a few weeks, when I feel it has adjusted to living at my house :0)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6863396

aspenjocop...I have plenty of Pink smoke with your name on it!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6863399

tell me about it!!...when I added it to the plantfiles, and it asked me what colors...I really had a hard time picking what colors it had it it!!, lol
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6863439

Awesome, Taylor. Yes, She needs to settle in for awhile. She had a rough trip.

Gail, didn't know you had that one. Awesome! What else are you hiding? I have some beauties lurking around the corner waiting for their turn to be shown :)
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6863447

I wanted to add pics but just like you said...details, detail, details. I exited right out of it lol
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6863608

Here she is before she is as large as she is now, aspenjocop...
I need a nap (LOL)

Thumbnail by gessiegail

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6863619

another pic a couple of weeks ago...

come on and show pics...they are trouble but worth it getting to see!!!

Thumbnail by gessiegail

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6863915

Oh, oh, oh...SO pretty with blooms! I will take some pics a little later after I am done staining boards for the deck. UGH! I need to roll and repot some of mine. They are trailing out of their pots.

Connie
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2009
7:17 PM

Post #6864045

Connie-
why not just hang it up and let the stolons hang?

Gail-
that last picture is GORGEOUS!! I entered pink smoke into the plantfiles, already, so you could add that picture in a snap!

It is a fantastic picture
-T

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6864224

You really have a basket full! I am so bad about adding to the plant files, but since you did the dirty work, I will go behind you the easy way^_^
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #6864272

Yours and Gail's look great. This is what mine look like when I don't do anything with them for awhile...

Thumbnail by aspenjocop

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6864283

Oh, snap...look what I just broke off. I did say I need to work on them...These are pics of Coco.

Thumbnail by aspenjocop

aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6864288

Yes, Gail...that would be an excellent pic to add with seedpicker's. Both are great pics. Thought you were going to take a nap. I am letting the stain dry (excuse).
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6864406

I slept for an hour (smiling) and now I am potting up baby streps by the box...
I did post a picture of Pink Smoke.

If I had that one on your table, all I can think of is making 20 more plants!! It's my illness of having to propagate all the time...she is a beauty.

I like to think that I am too old to stain a deck...at least that is what I tell my adult children...
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6864632

You need to come to my house because you would stay bury for a week propagating. Here they are before I dome them. This ought to go in the thread about containers lol. I got 11 out of it. Never know how many will make it. The big one on the top row has a bud on it :(. That last line is a good one, Gail LOL! They don't need to know everything...

Connie
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6864729

Doing something as constructive as staining a deck would take away from time with my plants ...smiling...
Oh, I got excited thinking you were posting pics of your babies...
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6864741

Oops...

Thumbnail by aspenjocop

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6864745

Cool!!! Isn't it fun to make babies...
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #6864758

Only when they make it lol. Once you cross that bridge it is very exciting!!!!
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6864766

Wonder if you can cut episcia leaves and root them like seedpicker was told on her a.v. leaves. Hmmmm, more babies with a leaf? That may be a second experiment. What do you think?
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #6864768

You will get to where you can pot up to root with your eyes closed or watching TV...put a dome on it under the lights and forget about them until time to pot up again...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6864772

I have never rooted an episcia leaf but I am sure you can...probably just takes a much longer time (like any other leaf as opposed to a cutting).

Bonnie, Lynn, where are you growers to answer this question...maybe Rain knows...
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6864777

LOL!!! You are too funny!!!!
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6864792

I have rooted leaves before. You have to be careful because they rot easy. They do take a lot longer than a stolon but if I have to cut off a leaf I will try rooting it. I have a few stuck now.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6865077

I even have these silly gloxinia leaves down and I am told that it will take months for a tuber to form...God willing, I have nothing but time on my hands...so will wait for the tubers^_^
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2009

Post #6865197

Connie-
that Coco is pretty...is that what the cup is of, that is in the lower right hand corner of your new tray of babies?

I like it!

did you break it accidentally, or accidentally~on purpose?, lol...

I've never tried an episcia leaf, but have had some break off and remain on the bakers rack alive for many weeks just laying there on the shelf!

I've also stuck stolons and had them rot within a week...
-T
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6865302

They are all Coco. Make your list, seedpicker. I have plenty of it. I will make sure it roots first.

I guess it was telling me it was time. LOL It caught on the corner of the table and snapped right off. It was a really long stolon and I sectioned it off. The big plantlet on the top row has a bud on it.

I have had stolons and leaves rot. They can be tempermental sometimes. Next time you break off a leaf, try to stick it like an a.v. Some will and some won't. Mine rot if the leaf hits the soil line.
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6865334

I think I'll try it just for grins...

:0)
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6865361

The first one I ever stuck rooted and gave it to my SIL. It has done wonderful for her. As a matter of fact, it was Coco.
I was wondering about doing the cutting on a leaf like you were told to do. Just to experiment to see if it might produce more than one baby.

Try it. I promise it works! Please be patient though, it takes awhile. I have a Coco leaf that I checked earlier and it is starting to root. It has been about a month now. Wow...what is it with Coco tonite?? LOL!!!
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6865452

I'll try some just as an experiment, but so far I have had so many stolons, that I've not really had the need to try to stick leaves, by themselves...

I have two of those hanging baskets of pink smoke, and it seems the more I trim, the more it makes! I can line a tray with stolons, and the hanging basket doesn't look like I even touched it. :0)

It is quite the reproductive episcia!!

I think you'll really enjoy it :0)
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6865590

Oh, I know I will! :)
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6866484

I have the best luck with stolons or cuttings when I barely get the soil less mix damp...then cover until they root.
jmp24
Medford, NJ

July 26, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6866506

well, seedpicker, if we do any trades in the fall, I adore Pink Smoke...
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6866509

I also have plenty of Pink Smoke to share, jmp...
jmp24
Medford, NJ

July 26, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6866519

thanks gail. I think it is the prettiest episcia...
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6866740

I think it is, too...I saw a picture of one that was similar..moonlight-something, or something-moonlight...it was very pretty, but not available for sale...
-T
aspenjocop
Northeast, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6889372

Glitter Magic has decided to show her bloom. The bud above finally opened and here it is.

Thumbnail by aspenjocop

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6890156

Wowser!!! If I don't make time to plant stolons, I won't have them to trade...will put that on my list this weekend...she is a keeper for sure!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America