Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: Cows: Ah, those were the days

Communities > Forums > Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: Cows
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: CowsReplies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
petralittledog
Salina, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6842625

So much enjoyed your story.

I was probably 6 or 8 when Daddy started milking cows. I was his tag-along when I was younger & then the oldest 'boy'. It was my job to wash the separator & then when Daddy had to switch to milking machines those were washed by me also. We had mostly Holsteins & some of them were really characters.

Daddy was only off the farm 1 night in 10 years because of the cows. A neighbor came over & helped me with the milking. Daddy had gone to Kansas City to buy MORE cows.

There are few dairy farms left in this part of the country, also.

Greta
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2009
8:17 PM

Post #6842910

I had to laugh, Greta - farmer vacation, go buy more cows! I'm glad you enjoyed my tale.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Dairy Farmer's Journal: Cows Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent and fun article sallyg 12 Jan 21, 2008 10:07 PM
Love your article doccat5 2 Jul 20, 2009 8:24 PM
so true! blue_eyes 0 Jan 19, 2008 3:10 PM
Memories! DianeEG 2 Jan 26, 2008 2:47 AM
Great Article KathyJo 2 Jan 23, 2008 7:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America