Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cooking: Tarragon

Communities > Forums > Cooking
bookmark
Forum: CookingReplies: 4, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

July 20, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6842879

I have a big pot of tarragon but am not really familiar with it's uses in cooking, is it a strong flavour?
Texasroses
Marlin, TX

July 21, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6847053

Cocoloba,
How about you sending me a plane ticket and I'll come show you how to cook with your tarragon? We were in St. John's years ago--lovely, great people, and we have fond memories. Enough of my stroll down memory lane, on to your question.
Well, tarragon tastes like licorice, mild licorice. It goes well with fish and chicken. A cornbread stuffing made with tarragon is beautiful with Cornish hens. You can put a little fresh chopped tarragon on top of green beans or peas (don't cook it with the beans or peas as it will not be as attractive). I like to put fresh leaves with cantaloupe balls, with a honey/lemon dressing. Tarragon leaves also go well in a lettuce salad.
As you use your tarragon, other recipes and adaptations will occur to you. By all means, enjoy your big pot of tarragon!
cocoloba
St John's
Antigua and Barbuda
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6848025

Texas Roses thank you so much, HD hates any herb with what he calls 'perfume' cilantro etc so I know not to put it into anything he likes, now me, I love all those perfumy things. He can't eat fish so I know how I will use it, it was so much easier to keep than parsley or thyme amazing!

Glad you liked St. John's, changing every day but the people and the beaches are sitll unspoiled
NEILMUIR1
London
United Kingdom

July 22, 2009
8:27 AM

Post #6849829

Tarragon and lemon juice, is a classic recipe for chicken; either chicken breasts merinated in it with some black pepper, or a roast whole chicken rubbed with it and garlic!
It does have an Aniseed taste, that is why it is good with fish, but it is also good with pork.
I always add a bit when I make sage and onion stuffing, it just gives it that extra taste.
Tarragon butter is also very nice with Asparagus and some greens.
If you do not like Aniseed then you probably won't like it, I use it sparingly.
My wife puts it in egg mayonaisse, it goes well with eggs.
Regards from England.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6863144

Sue, we use tarragon when we smoke or grill pork. Take a few stems, soak in water for a couple minutes and lay across the top of the meat. The heat releases the oils and gives the meat a light flavor with a great aroma.

Jean

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America