Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: It's July! What's Happening in Your Neighborhood part 4

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 224, Views: 1,394
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #6843616

Everyone is welcome to join in the chat! We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1014170/

Rann - smores are awesome and addicting! Yummmmmmmmmmm! That's a gorgeous rose!
Sally - I'm so envious of your temps! I can't wait for Fall.
Adina - Beautiful flowers!
Ric - LOL @ Mr. Wester. He was worn out from eating!
Mau - Orchids are awesome!
Rann- I know the feeling - too hot for sunbathing!
Adina - Great job on the article!
Joey - JW is adorable! He is just too cute LOL!
Mau - Look at the concentration on Zachary's face!
Celia - I LOL'd at the marijuana plant story!
Adina - I think you are going to be surprised when we all show up at your house for a bbq!
Marylyn - I hope you feel better soon and you get some much needed rain too!
Adina/Celia - I think Lucian is testing Marta for "Doneness"!
Celia - Lol at Darrell and "Randy"

77.9 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 71 F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 80 F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1500 ft
Scattered Clouds 4000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Low 68. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Could be a record low for Jacksonville tonight.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6843653

Hey, Sharon! Thanks for the new thread. The pot story is on-going. When we moved in he told Darrell he liked our 'pot' plant. When Darrell told him it wasn't, neighbor said, "Don't worry. I won't tell."

I heard a noise at my window yesterday and looked to see this.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2009
11:29 PM

Post #6843658

I slowly went outside and found this. I've named him, "Tom".

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 20, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6843707

Quoting:When Darrell told him it wasn't, neighbor said, "Don't worry. I won't tell."

ROFLOLOL Never mind the sign, then. :-)
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6843821

Celia - that is so funny about the 'pot' plant! lol Sorry about the annoying neighbors ... standing on a box to look into your yard is beyond rude ... can't imagine anyone would do such a thing here! Sheeesh! We like to respect people's privacy ... in fact, if you see someone "famous" as famous goes over here in the store or something, people will totally ignore them or maybe give them an averted glance at the most. When people are "off duty" they're entitled to being left alone.

Joey - cute photos of JW :-)

Mau - love the photo of Zac and Friday, so peaceful :-)

This afternoon it was cloudy, official high was 68F. I went grocery shopping around 1 pm while the sun was still shining and it was so hot in the parking lot, that it actually felt cooler when we walked in the store! lol That's a first! lol This warm weather is great since hardly anyone can afford to travel abroad this summer ... it's like we got a slice of Spain home-delivered! lol Love it! :-) Unfortunately for the people up north and on the east coast, it's been miserably wet and cold in the mean time, highs barely reaching 50F.

Here's a photo of Fra getting caught with her wiskers in the flower pot ... she thinks anything growing in a pot is her personal salad bar ... lol

Have a good night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6844127

OK It's official this is a weird Summer.
Here's another Weather Warning I have never even heard of...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
...cold air funnels possible this evening...

atmospheric conditions are favorable for the development of
funnel clouds this evening. these types of funnel clouds
typically last less than a few minutes and rarely touch the
ground and become tornadoes...but it is still possible.

the atmospheric conditions these funnels are developing in do not
support strong...damaging tornadoes. however...on rare occasions
these funnels can briefly touch the ground and produce minimal
damage.

the favorable weather conditions for cold air funnels are expected to
end this evening.
----------------------------------------------

How strange is that?

Kell I like the heat too.
I would be out.
Well I played golf at 111 in Vegas...

Celia you need this Brick

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6844161

Ric, I've had those cold air funnels around here before. It turned into a tornado and took down a barn about 5 miles from here.

High of 76 today but a bit humid so it still felt somewhat hot. I did some gardening today but for the most part just lazed around. Was at a concert last night and of course my voice is a bit off today and I'm still a bit tired. lol.

Jason Michael Carroll luving up a Harley Softtail that is up for a raffle.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6844193

I forgot to add we did have some rain today.
A T-Storm dropped about 1/3" so we are good for a few days.
Temps dropped from 82 to 70 in 15 minutes.
It's down to 66 already going for the upper 50's.
It was 56 this morning.

Adina I'll pass on the Carp. They basically aren't edible here due to pollution.
Maybe farm raised ones I'd try.

Oh we won a Mary Kay basket as a door prize at one of the Gardens we toured.
Maybe that Pink Boat was an omen... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
10:04 AM

Post #6845354

Celia - Your new tenant is a cutie! We have a cardinal that comes to our office window everyday and taps on it. Maybe your neighbors are taking clippings from your plant and trying to smoke them LOL! Thats why they cant get their info straight!
Rann Fra is just sniffing the plants kind of like Celias neighbor LOL!
Ric That is odda cold air funnels hmmm
Pepper Did you win the Harley?!

72.7 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 67 F
Pressure: 30.01 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 72 F
Visibility: 4.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Patchy morning fog. Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 86. Southeast winds 5 mph increasing to east 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Doesn't look like jax will make a recod low. They have 5* to go in about 30 minutes. It pleasant outside though!

Mr. Wester...what can I say? he was thirsty lol!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6845496

Good morning!

Sunny again this morning! breezy and 62F at 11 am :-) I'll be frying in the sun again today! :-)

Sharon - oh she does more than sniff the flowers, she likes to taste them too ;-) lol Her own personal salad buffet in her opinion. Her favorites are my roses ... I'm not happy about that at all! Fortunately she stays away from my flowerbeds ... but the potted plants are fair game to her. I tried spraying the roses on the patio with cayenne pepper last summer, can't remember if it worked... think not. LOL at silvester :-)

Ric - interesting about the cold air funnels, hope nothing touches down.

My roses are loving this weather! This is a new one this year (one of very few), Blue Moon. Impossible to pass that one up ;-)

Have a good one!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6845615

Well, as yesterday, I did go to Real Estate and get all the information what I told them...

Hopeful, I get sign the paperwork for house on market later on as today for sure (just get paperwork done and measures the house and yard also metal shop garage oh also tree down, too! So, I ask 'as is'...

Raining here now!

Took this pix on 15th:

Daylilies

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 7:39 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6845669

Rann I love the shot of Fra. I googled the name. Good Choice!
Wish we could do more w/ roses that's a nice one.

Sharon a cat's gotta do what a cat's... lol!

Rusty are those full open?
Good luck on the house.

56 when I got up.
We're heading for 81
We got a little more rain last night.

And we must have had some kind of a cold draft.
There's a limb down right next to the new deck.
Nothing big maybe a 3 incher.
The other 2 are still up there. Can't get too them. Can't afford to have them gotten.
There's tons of limbs below them so best guess they fall in Jon's yard.

I'm still editing pics from the tour.
Here's one from 'Hydrangea North' as they call the place.

Off to clean up the yard...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6845777

That is full open.. Very weird flowers! lol...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6846200

Rusty, Good luck on the house. Pretty daylily!

Ric, can't wait for tour pics. Those hydrangeas are huge. I need a BUNCH of those bricks! LOL

Rann, Fra thought she was being sneaky. LOL I wouldn't have been able to pass up that rose either! Wow!

Sharon, your cats are just like mine. I had to get a special mug that said, "Another mug for may cat to drink out of."

78.3 F with 92 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 47 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph
Pressure: 29.98 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 F
Clouds: Few 16000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Osteospurmum 'Orange Symphony'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6846297

Sharon: thanks for the new thread-- Pea and Prissy look so cute on their pink satin "blankie"
Celia: love the on-going story about your nosy neighbor and the "pot" plant--ROFLOL "Randy and Darrell" are just too funny! BTW, what kind of bird is that?
Orange Symphony is my kind of flower!
Ric: love the brick--just what Celia needs! That Mary Kay basket was quite a coincidence after the "pink boat"--LOL Your photo shows why they call that place "Hydrangea North"--Lovely!
Adina: great article about your gardens--loved all the photos. That carp looks a lot like catfish steak--whatever kind of fish it is, it looks yummy!
Rann: your bunny is so cute but I can't spell her name because I don't know how to make that 4th letter :^( Blue Moon is lovely--same color as my Angel Face rose.
Rusty: good luck on the house!

We've jad a thunder shower this morning--supposed to do this most of the day with 80% chance today and 60% chance tonight throughout most of the state. This will cancel our plans to go and see the drum corps demonstration in Van Buren tonight. I'm not driving 150 miles in the rain only to find out they have canceled the performance! Besides I don't really like driving at night in the rain even if it is freeway all the way. (There are TONS of 18 wheelers which travel I-40)

Currently 72 and light rain. Our high today is forecast to just be in the high 70's--amazingly cool for July in Arkansas!
To give you an idea of how much rain we've had just today, take a look at this picture. This is the reason I moved the tree roses from this circle bed and put in the EE's which Ric gave me.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6846321

Glad you like the flowers, Mau. Here is the whole basket.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6846329

Sorry. It's a baby Robin. The mama was on the ground waiting for him.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6846391

Thanks, Celia--very pretty flowers and cute baby robin. :o))

Kelli: I meant to tell you that on The Weather Channel last night they had a piece by Jim Whats-his-name (Cantore, I think). He was in Death Valley and he measured the heat on a slab of asphalt there--It was 130+ degrees Fahrenheit on the asphalt. He then broke an egg onto the asphalt and after 10 minutes, it still wasn't fried--so there goes that theory!!! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6846877

65 and raining. It wasn't supposed to rain till tonight! Oh well, we can use it. I was starting to water the astilbes and this helps.

I have 4 heads of cabbage sitting out and am going to turn them into sauerkraut. I have a 4 gallon crock, (that I cleaned in my sink with no dividers!) that is ready to go.

Adina, beautiful! I love the sunflower just waking up!

Mau, ROTFL! It is hard to catch up!! The orchid is beautiful! I love the shadows!

Rann, 70 is perfect weather!

Ric, LOL over the castor story! Thanks for the link to Adina's story. Sometimes I don't feel I have time to do anything but my threads. That was my ''stop and smell the roses'' moment!

Adina, I hope all your cuttings do well for you! I love the living fence idea and bravo on the fruit trees! No one seems to replant them any more! There used to be at least two trees in every yard around here when I was a kid. No more.
We have followed the building of the new house and the creation of things as you did them. I didn't put together, how much work you have actually done.What a wonderful home you and your family have created!! Everything is beautiful! Toot Toot!!

Joey, poor pup! Isn't this cool weather wonderful! JW is having a great time! Lucky boy! Uncle Garret is a handsome guy too!

Mau, how neat that Zach and Friday have such a bond! Those connect toys are fun!

Celia, I am screaming with laughter over the pot plant. Oh my! You do have some neighbors! Beautiful sky!

Adina, I'll bet the BBQ was delicious!!

Marylyn, you sound like my daughter and her spring sickness that just kept running thru the family. They are finally well. I hope you get well too! I hope you get rain. You're in a drought aren't you?

Adina, ROTFL over seeing if Marta is done yet :o) What a fun couple!

Kelli, Mythbusters did it and yes, you can, enough to qualify as fried.

Sharon, what an adorable picture to start us off!! We are cool for another week. I can't believe it. I put the winter blanket back on the bed and pulled my soft flannels out.

Celia, love the shadow picture of Tom! Your neighbors are something else. How big a box do you suppose they could find if you raised your fence? But then, you wouldn't have any good stories!

Rann, you are the most tactful, thoughtful people! ROTFL over Frioa! That is a cute picture!

Ric, we have the funnels here too, but I've never seen one. This is weird weather indeed! ROTFL!!! I want that brick too!

Pepper, hope I don't see one of those funnels! Oohhh, nice pic!!

Sharon, I missed the story on Mr Wester. He's a pretty one! Thirsty for bird soup LOL!

Rann, Blue Moon is nice!

Rusty, good luck with selling the house. It will be one less thing to worry about. I love daylilies!

Ric, nice shot of the hydrangeas!

Celia, love the mug!! It's too humid here to grow thw osteospurmums, but I love them!

Mau, I'm with you. The drum corp would be neat to see in person. They do incredable moves!

I caught up, I caught up!!! Quick! Select all, copy, paste and send!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6846964

Nice neighbor's usual spot is about 5' to the right of the arbor. I was to the left of it under the Castor. He has to move just about to the edge of the black fabric section to see the maple.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6846975

Then, all he sees it this. I don't know how he can make out leaf shape from there. It's up against the house under the window.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 12:39 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6847241

After seeing the wall, I've collapsed in a fit of laughter at their desperate attempt to not miss a thing!!

You must get a picture of them peering over the fence.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6847341

LOLOL!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6847436

I just realized what the title of this thread is. Ask Celia's neighbors!!

Celia, I think you need to get your own box and see what they grow in their yard!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6847756

I've seen what's in their yard. NOT impressed. I can see where the fascination comes into play. Our yard is...ehem..."higher" than theirs. So...they can stand on their patio and look at us over the 6' wall. Hence, the buckthorn hedge.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6847829

ROTFL!!

I was going to write"after seeing how high the wall was... " and started laughing again. I thought I best rewrite it or it could go on forever!

Well, it's still raining and I've sat here too long.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6847917

ROFLOL at Celia's nosy neighbor's!! We should all be that lucky--NOT!

It's been raining here most of the day--sun came out about 3:30 p.m. for about 45 minutes then we had another downpour about 5 p.m. Now that has stopped and the sun is shining again!! Talk about "on again, off again"!! However, I still think I made a good judgement call about not driving 2 1/2 hours to see the drum and bugle corps---maybe next year. Y'all should check that out on youtube--awesome!!
It's called "dci" (Drum Corps International--they have their own website, too).

Currently 74 and sometimes rain, sometimes sunshine--something for everyone! Have a good evening, everyone!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6847942

Here is a YouTube clip showing highlights from last year's DCI championship contest in Indianapolis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D4t5g2x_jE It's not the same as seeing the whole shows live, but at least it's dry. :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6848014

Good clip, Marylyn! It makes you wonder how many hours they all have to practice to achieve those moves! My DGD showed me the clip from 2006 which showed the Santa Clara band doing their routine from Phantom of the Opera--it was amazing!! I can't seem to find it now. Although the video was a little fuzzy on that one, it was still worth watching all the way through.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #6848124

DCI auditions are usually in the fall or winter. The kids get their music way ahead of time so they can start memorizing it. They start doing weekend practices once or twice a month in the spring. As soon as school is over for the year, the kids are at the drum corps headquarters (aka "camp") for the whole summer. The first contests for the big corps are in the middle of June. The Championships are the second weekend of August - just in time for most of the kids to get back to their high school marching band's band camp. The smaller corps accept kids starting at age 13, but most the bigger corps on the YouTube video have a junior corps (or 2) for the younger kids that has a much less rigorous schedule. You age out at 21. I would have LOVED to join a corps, but we couldn't afford the tuition.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2009
3:52 AM

Post #6849535

Our rain is just peeking into the radar.
Should be about 15 hours of it once it starts.

Well the main sections of the new Deck are assembled.
We just have a few diagonals and a small square to finish up.
Would have finished this afternoon but had to make a supply run... errr.
Looks like tomorrow will be a rain out.
May just do some grocery shopping and try out the Zuc's on some breads.
It's funny we have 12 plants... don't ask... and only 2 Zuc's.

I'm editing the Garden Tour shots but hit a snag.
The third garden is owned by a couple of Hydrangea fanatics.
Well labeled and placed so I got some killer shots.
I think I've added 14 or so shots to Plantfiles. One I had to add the plant and all.
So that has slowed me down.
But I'm thru them now so it should be smooth sailing.

Still uploading I'll BBL to comment.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #6849930

Good Morning all!

It's 63* and we got a little under 2'' of rain yesterday! It never stopped.

The drum corp kids are amazing!

Ric, love the downstair shot!

Busy day ahead, gotta go!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 22, 2009
11:28 AM

Post #6849967

Gee, must be nice to get rain!
We got rained on in Mankato while setting up for market. It rained south of us. It rained to the north.
Nary a drop here!
Another sunny warm day in store for us.
We will be out hooking up the irrigation lines for our vegetables.
First day in a long time we can work on our schedule instead of being pushed by someones demands.
Later,
Bernie
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6849989

Rann - Beautiful rose!
Rusty Good luck selling the house! Cool lilies!
Ric All the hydrangea blooms Ive seen this year are off the charts huge! Looking forward to more gardens pics.
Celia- Sylvester has made friends with someone in the neighborhood. He has started trying to drink water out of the faucet and my glass. Bad boy! I need one of those mugs for him LOL! I told Jeff about your adventures with the neighbors. We were cracking up! Such bad behavior from them though.
Sally LOL! I think its all happening in Celias neighborhood!
Marylyn/Mau I enjoy watching the drum corps too. They work very hard and are all very talented.

74.3 F
Scattered Clouds
Dew Point: 68 F
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 F
Visibility: 8.0 miles
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Patchy fog in the morning. Becoming partly cloudy. High 88. East winds 5 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Moss Rose

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2009
12:10 PM

Post #6850065

Good morning, all!
Marylyn: Unfortunately, many times finances (or lack thereof) prove to be a problem when one wants to realize a dream.
Ric: great stairway shot--makes me dizzy, though. LOL!!
Bernie: sorry you didn't get any rain. We've had enough for a few days.
BP: hope your busy day will also be a productive one--I'm certain that it will. :o))
Sharon: I love the bright colors on Moss Rose!

We are heading for a high today of 87F. Currently 67F and partly cloudy. The hotter temps are creeping back in--supposed to be up in the low 90's the rest of the week.

I'm off today for 3 days in Hot Springs, AR. I have a girlfriend who lives in a house on Lake Hamilton and she has invited me over to spend a few days. It has been several years since I have seen her so we have a lot to catch up on. I'll try to check in with y'all a couple of times while I am away. Everyone have a good week-end!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2009
12:57 PM

Post #6850216

Have a great trip, Marilyn! :-)

Sharon, I'm drooling over your moss roses.

It's been cloudy and humid for the past couple of days, but the rain has gone around us, too. The soaker hoses are running right now, so it will probably rain today. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (2 min ago)
Temperature 80 F 27 C
Dew Point 75 F 24 C
Humidity 87% - Back to normal!
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.7 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling 2500 ft 762 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 87 F 31 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 77.0F / 25.0C

Today Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the mid 90s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, then a 20 percent chance after midnight. Lows in the upper 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6850613

Mau have a great trip!

Sharon love the Moss!

Celia your neighbors need to get a life! Of their own...
Love the Orange. We've never tried that species... hmmmm...

Have a grey and rainy day going here.
No yard work for us... lol!

That WAS a pretty steep stairs.
I lucked out on that shot.
The flash was accidentally left on. That created the shadow/deoth affect.

I got the shots from Garden #3 uploaded.
It was a bear as there are dozens of Hydrangea and I had to edit, then ID (took tag shots), label,
then I uploaded them to Plantfiles.
It's a quirky Garden but I think you will like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157621759630206/

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6850962

Those are some great pics, Ric. Thanks. It's funny what you notice when you're home all day. LOL

No time to really catch up. Enjoy yhe stories and pics.

83.1 F with 96 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 45 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 81 F
Clouds: Few 13000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Mourning Dove.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6851131

Mau Have a wonderful time with your friend!
Marylyn Thanks! Its funny the MRs are that bright in color. My friend who was here last Saturday kept saying I was photo-shopping the colors. When she saw them in person she was blown away. The pinks are off the charts hot pink!
Celia I agree with Ricdratted nosy neighbors! Sweet mourning dove!

84.7 F
Mostly Cloudy

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6851168

Ya know? This street is normally very quiet. Our realtor called it a "pocket of civility" and it really is. Most times nothing is happening but, BOY, (LOL) when it does!

The dove let me get pretty close. I had thrown down some seed for them and the quail.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 22, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6851244

The hydrangea garden was beautiful, Ric!!!

We're getting ready to go out on a "dental date." (Charles and I schedule our teeth cleanings at the same time.. not very romantic, but as long as he has to take time off work, we may as well enjoy/suffer through it together. LOL) I've been sorting through my homeschool stuff and deciding which bits I want to keep and which parts I can sell (so I can afford to buy more!) A friend from the Texas forum is going to come by on Friday to look over my for sale pile before I list it, so before then I need to clean the house and weed the garden. Motivation is always a good thing! :-)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 22, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6851995

Thank you guys for the sweet comments and for reading my article!
Sharon, thanks for starting a new thread and for the cute picture of your doggies! Love the Ross Moss too!
Mau, have fun on your trip! Any fish you have would do...that was a Romanian carp , only grows in our lakes!LOL
Ric, great pics! Unbelievable, is the pollution that high? So sad! Take care with the cold air funnels Pepper had.
Celia, you should organize a tour of your garden for your neighbors!LOL Great pics of the brds!
Rann, your rabbit is so cute! Love the rose, such a sweet color!
Sally, thanks for the nice words! It was a hard work, but now I am satisfied with it. We still have fruit trees in our yards here, nothing better than the taste of your own fruits!
Pepper, who's that?Cool bike and nice looking guy!
It's been hot and getting hotter on the next 3 days, they forecasted 100 on Saturday...ugh! No wind, no cloud!
I've done some painting today ... the electrical pannel's support was rusty and needed some paint. Then I repaired the broken cement between the bath tub and the wall...then DH had to take a bath and he almost destroyed what I did...grrrr!
More pictures of the sunflowers blooming.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 22, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6852004

First closer look.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 22, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6852020

Second.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 22, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #6852036

Third.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6852079

GREAT Sunflowers!

Adina around here the rivers and streams that would support carp definitely you wouldn't want to eat the fish. Same w/ Catfish.
Carp are trash fish and basically bottom feeders.
They stir up the muck at the bottom searching for food.
Every gully, creek and stream upriver poured pollutants in for a couple of centuries.
Most fish eaten here are either farm raised or from unpolluted small streams or ponds.
The Great Lakes are being cleaned up but certain fish still have 'safe limits'.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6853069

Cool, but sunny today. Tomorrow we should reach normal temps then we slide back down to the cool temps we have been having.

Has anyone on here been lacking butterflies this year? I've only seen a few even at Powell Gardens. Lots of bees and wasps though.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6853547

Still raining!
No Butterflies here either Pepper.
Well few anyway. They say it's the cool nights.
They aren't emerging from their Cocoons.
We did have the Monarchs pass thru though so they ARE coming.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6853845

Butterflies seem to be normal here, but I'm in a totally different ecosystem, weather system, etc.

Queen caterpillar that I saw for the first time today. I am under the impression that they are more of a desert species, but I could be wrong.

Meanwhile, hot again today.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #6853994

Great pics, everyone. You all make my day.

I think I will see what the neighbors think about an actual tour rather than having them try to peek.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #6854230

Adina Great sunflowers pics! LOL at Cici!
Ric - Im so glad I live next to the ocean and get local fresh seafood!
Pepper Ive seen very few butterflies here. This lawn didnt have b-fly friendly flowers though.

76.3 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 70 F
Pressure: 29.98 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 F
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 9000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Patchy fog in the morning. Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 92. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Most of the beds are weeded. I still have about 1/4 of one bed to finish then I'm done for a week (or so). I really wanted to get this done before my party. I've got a friend coming in Friday afternoon to "fluff" the house for me LOL!

Soooo, does anyone know how to make a good Mojito? My hand messed up this pic.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6854820

Ever have one of those weeks? I won't go into boring details but we both left the water on the lawn all night. Sheesh! You'd think between the 2 of us, we could remember something like that. :-)

Sharon, I'll go find that recipe for you. You didn't mess up the pic. It's bee-yoo-tea-full!!!

76.2 F with 97 for rthe high.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 44 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

CA poppies.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6854911

Celia - Thanks! You should go outside when your neighbors are out there and cut some leaves off the "pot" plant LOL!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6854938

LOL
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6855045

Good afternoon!

The warm & sunny spell has come to an abrupt end ... it's barely 50F and really windy here (cold north wind) ... highs in the 40's up north and sleet or even snow in the highland regions! The sun is currently shining, but it's still really cold outside! Not as bad on the sunny side of the house, but I don't think I'll be sunbathing today though ;-) lol

Great photos everyone!

Celia- giving your neighbors a proper tour of your garden is a good idea ... maybe that will satisfy their curiosity ... or maybe not ... lol

Ric - great tour!

Selma insisted on having Fra sleep up in her bed last night ... (she sleeps in a high bed) ... I wasn't very keen on the idea, but since I would have wanted the same thing her age, I decided to give in and let her fall asleep with the bunny ... the plan was that I'd get Fra down once Selma was a sleep and put her in her room (the laundry room) ... but as it turned out, Fra was very happy up there and had no intension of budging. Finally I decided to just leave her up there and go to bed ... worried that she'd mess up the bed or try to get down herself and injure herself. They both slept happily through the night without any accidents, fortunately. I didn't! lol Totally out of sorts today and irritable ... but Selma was so happy when she woke up and Fra was still there :-)

How can you say no to that face? Yes those are raspberries Selma gave her ... I wasn't very keen on that idea either, I'd have liked those raspberries for myself! lol

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6855165

Just went outside (on the sunny side of the house) ... feels like September :-( brrrrrrrrr...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6855248

You have the cutest bunny ever.

Black-eyes Susans finally opened!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6855968

Thanks Celia - we like to think so ;-) lol Those Black-eyed Susans are very pretty :-)
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6856098

Hi everyone! I've been lurking and reading all the weather posts every day but haven't posted anything myself in a long time. I'm working crazy hours now--5pm til 3am and it doesn't leave much time for playing on the computer. I will have to say though, I really enjoyed Rann's vacation photos and Ric's garden pathways are wonderful! I think Ric's house will be a stop on the garden tour someday soon!

We have had absolutely glorious weather here for the past 2 months or so except one rainy week the end of June. Highs in the 70's most days, low humidity, a nice breeze, some rain now and then and the lows some nights have dipped into the high 40's. We are on track for the coolest July on record. My new veggie gardens have grown like crazy and the flower beds are blooming their little buds off!

I'll post a few pics of whats been happening here lately...

Daylilys are blooming. This is Firestorm, one of my favorites. I ran it through a Photoshop plug-in called topaz adjust to get the effect.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jul 23, 2009 2:28 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6856106

Another lily...Butterfly Kisses

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6856113

These peonies are still the favorite thing I grow here.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6856119

The butterfly bed is blooming nicely.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6856129

A peony close-up.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Jul 23, 2009 2:34 PM

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2009
7:33 PM

Post #6856149

And finally...the entrance to the Amish store a mile up the road from here.

early_bloomer

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6856305

Hi EB! We've missed your gorgeous photos :-) LOVE that Firestorm! and the rest are beautiful as well :-) I'm glad you enjoyed the vacation photos :-)

Just got back from the store ... today's high was supposedly 50F, it seriously feels like 40F (well 44F according to the weather channel) with the wind blowing ... just ridiculous. It's like someone pressed FF>> last night and we woke up this morning in mid-September! And the forecast is really lousy ... like they say ... "all good things must come to an end" ... for some reason they always come to an end with a real bang over here ... Enough whining, we've had better than normal weather for the past 3 weeks, so now it's time to pay up. That's how it goes over here.

I don't know if this is reliable information, haven't done any research on it, but I heard from my aunt that there's a shortage of timber (like most other things it needs to be imported). My cousin was planning to have his deck re-done this week, but there was no timber to be had ... so the workers he'd hired can't do the job. This is how bad things are getting here (I'm guessing timber is not classified as a neccessity) ... we were planning to have an addition to the house built this summer ... I guess you could call it a porch or plant room or something like that. We've been waiting on the architect and getting a bit tired of how long it's been taking. Seems now it doesn't make any difference if there's no timber to build the darned thing anyway ...

and according to the news ... odds are increasing that the ICES(L)AVE agreement will not pass through parliament. Not sure where that will leave us ...

OK enough doom and gloom for now ... can you tell I'm in a bad mood? Must be the weather ... or lack of sleep. From happier days (yesterday - LOL) ... this is John Cabot :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 23, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6856497

Very hot here !Over 100 and increasing until Saturday !!!!
E_B, great pics! We missed you!
Celia, love the Black eyed Susan!
Kelli, that's a beautiful Queen caterpillar!
Sharon, what a sweet rose!
Rann, I heard many have been in a bad mood today...must be the eclipse!
My japenese MG finally bloomed! It has those holes because the bud has been strangled by the squash vine, but I rescued it!LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6856609

It's raining! Yayy!! We had a thunderstorm come through a couple of hours ago, and then a nice steady downpour. It's still sprinkling, but I can still hear thunder in the distance, so it may rain harder again soon. I guess I'm not going to get the garden weeded before my friend comes to see the homeschool books, since we were busy this morning, but that gives me more time to clean the inside of the house, right? (I'd rather be weeding! LOL) On the downside, our AC went out sometime in the night, so we are going to have to get someone to look at it. :-( I'm glad it did it now, and not a few weeks ago when it was 103 outside!

Welcome back, E_B!!! Your photos are gorgeous, as usual. I love the color of those peonies! I'm sorry about the crazy work hours.. ugh.

Rann, Fra is sooo cute! I wouldn't be able to say no to that little face either. :-) I'm sorry to hear about the timber shortage and the still-looming economic troubles.

Ok, back to cleaning the house!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:09pm CDT (19 min ago)
Temperature 79 F 26 C
Dew Point 69 F 21 C
Humidity 73%
Pressure 29.97 in 1015 mb
Wind Speed 21 MPH
G 29 18 kts
G 25
Wind Dir NNE 30
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 82 F 28 C
Current Conditions Light Rain
Remarks Wind Shift at 20:49 GMT.
Trace precipitation last hour. (We had almost an inch fall here!)
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 77.0F / 25.0C

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6857393

Sunny and mid to high 80s today. I worked out at Powell Gardens and pulled out a bunch of weeds from one of the prarie beds this morning (aster, mulberry, false dandelion, knotweed, spiderwort, dasiy fleebane) then this afternoon worked on our iris hill digging up irises so that they could till the beds again and replant some of the irises. Lots of fun though the prairie bed kinda drove us nuts. The spiderwort was everywhere and didn't want to be dug up!! lol
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6860266

Apparently it's been a slow weather day! LOL Charles looked at the AC last night and fixed it with a $10.49 part from Radio Shack. Yayy! This morning I finished cleaning the front of the house (the girls' bedroom is next!) and my DG friend came over and bought some of my homeschool books. I listed a few more for sale on a homeschool forum I belong to. I'm ready to go shopping now! LOL
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 24, 2009
9:52 PM

Post #6860810

Yay! Air conditioning!

Pepper, I saw the Angels play the Royals on t.v. earlier this week. The grass out beyond the stadium there in K.C. looked so green and refreshing. The Royals are pretty scary, though. You have my sympathies. What is false dandelion? The real one is enough so we have to have a false one, too?

Nothing too new here. Supposed to get brutal again this weekend.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on July 24, 2009
90 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 35%
Dew Point: 59 F
Wind: 6 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.86 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 89 F
UV: 11 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6861681

Another sunny, windy and very cool day here today, high around 50F ... felt colder. There was actual frost last night in some places ... one of them on the south coast is the biggest potato growing area in the country ... the crops could be ruined. Then we need to eat imported potatos next winter, like we need to import more stuff ... :-( Freeze warning again tonight ... it IS still July isn't it????

Haven't been out in the garden for two days now and I'm getting restless ... need to water again tomorrow if it doesn't rain. The grass is starting to turn yellow around town ... my lawn is still green, the soil retains moisture well, which is bad in the spring, but good when it doesn't rain ;-) lol Haven't watered the lawn at all.

Thanks Marylyn - Yay! on the AC :-) and the rain! :-) and the homeschool books you sold! :-) (it is still July isn't it?? I can't think of school yet ... lol)

Kelli - lol on the false dandelion ... yeah the real one is definately enough! lol

Here's another rose - Tuscany Superb

Hope you all have a good night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6861707

We had a wonderful day weather wise.
Started off a bit foggy but burned of quickly.
The Sun, Sun, Sun... maybe 84 for a high.
Tomorrow mid 80's again and maybe a pop up storm in the afternoon.
We'll be doing the Pond Tour Sat and Sunday.

Here's the last piece of the deck system.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #6861722

The deck will be used like this.
Different furniture but...

Off to light the torches and relax.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6861948

Hot and sunny today. High of 93 with a breeze.

Yeah, the Royals are pitiful. Just plain pitiful. lol. But the grass of course is great!! LOL

False dandelion is a tall plant with a yellow bloom. http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/hryra.htm

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=false dandelion&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=FG9qSs74OY_VlAfCwLzXCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6862176

I saw one of those on our neighbor's yard for the first time.
Cool bloom! Then whack and Dig! lol

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #6862197

Just popping in really quick to say "Having a great time--wish y'all were here!" Really, I do. I'll post a link when I get back home so you all can see what I've seen the past couple of days. So relaxing, peaceful and beautiful. Have a great week-end!

and the weather has been great!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2009
5:13 AM

Post #6862386

Ahhhh! We all wish we were with you, too! At least, I do!

Upper 90s all week, fireworks again tonight. It's our state birthday today. Days of '47, Pioneer Day...whatever you want to call it, it's still noisy.

"Forget the magazine, did somebody say 'treats'?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2009
5:15 AM

Post #6862389

Ric, awesome work you and Robyn do. It's beautiful.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6862750

Good morning!

Sunny again this morning ... so much for the forecasted rain ... need to get the hose out again. Finally calmer, but not warmer, 50F at 11 am. Last night's low was 39F.

Celia - LOL at Monty - that is a hilarious photo! lol

Ric - your deck is fantastic! :-)

Mau - glad you're having a great time! Wish I was there too ... if it isn't too hot that is ;-) lol

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6862863

Celia: LOL at Monty!
Rann: Well, it's always cooler on the lake than in the city and there was a nice breeze blowing but you probably would have thought it was hot. It was in the low 80's, actually. LOL

Here's how the wealthy folk live. These are houses on Lake Hamilton as viewed from a party barge on the lake. Some of these houses are just "week-end" homes. However, a great many of them are occupied full time. Many of them are beautifully landscaped. Be sure to look for the fisherman who is trying to hook a giant fish. :o))

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/HomesOfLakeHamilton?authkey=Gv1sRgCOO4qorA6PfmBg#5361810276366573314
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6863016

Cool!
Mau that looks GREAT!
LOVE the statues!
Robyn thought at first that was Bella Vista not Hot Springs.
VERY nice area!

We had a T-Storm slam thru here about 6 AM.
Another is coming thru now.

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6863232

Yeah, Ric, it's a tough life but somebody has to do it! LOL

Check these out and don't forget to look for the really cute pig! There are only 12 photos in this group so it won't take you long to look at them.

http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/MarilynInKayak?authkey=Gv1sRgCLn6mL-9ke-e9AE#5362402882264758418

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6863879

Mau, those are wonderful!!! Makes one wonder what those people do for a living.

Rann, I htink Ric and I got your rain. We had a little storm blow through here last night, too. Five minutes then gone.

84.6 F with 94 for the high. Darrell is mowing while I enjoy the 80 in the house.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 53 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 30.03 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 83 F
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 7000 ft
Scattered Clouds 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 18000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6863885

Baby Robin waiting for mama.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6863920

Looks like the Pond Tour is a rain out today.
We've had T-Storms coming thru off and on since 6 AM.
Lost a few old dead wood limbs on the first go thru.
Glad they are finally down. No damage. No Biggie.

Thanks for the comments on the Deck and it's system.
The 'colored' wood will be sanded down.
We like the color too but it's the underside wood from a 40 year old porch.
Too much soot, dirt and other questionable items on it... mold, fungus, etc.
We are though going to let it age a bit before we stain and seal it.

The area between the Entrance Gate and the deck system is now finished also.
Rock entry then pine and cedar nugget paths lead to the wood.
Hey Wu needs a spot too! LOL!

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #6863924

Very, very nice. I never noticed the gargoyle before. I have one that looks like a dragon. Remind me to get a pic.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 25, 2009
6:34 PM

Post #6863927

Here's the Rock Walk.
It goes thru Robyn's Fairy Garden.
We're letting the dirt settle in, this rain will speed that, before we 'plant the cracks'.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6864512

Not as hot as they were calling for

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on July 25, 2009
91 F
Scattered Clouds
Dew Point: 58 F
Wind: 9 mph from the SSE
Pressure: 29.88 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 90 F
UV: 8 out of 16
Clouds: Few 9500 ft
(Above Ground Level)

today we went to the beach

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6864515

sand verbena

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6864517

beach evening primrose

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #6864519

datura

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6864525

The concrete thing in the center is the base of a gun that was located here during WWII. I never learned it in school so maybe you didn't either, but the Japanese did shell CA a little during the war.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6864818

Here is another video. This is the 101 freeway through the city of Ventura. I had the lens on zoom but that resulted in a more grainy picture, so I won't do that anymore. The songs are a couple of real moldy oldies and kind of incongruous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ3EgqvhZtk

Here's a video that DH made. It is very short. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCGKAoxkw-k

This message was edited Jul 25, 2009 4:35 PM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6864952

Neat videos Kelli :-) Are those Oleanders along the highway? Very pretty :-)
The beach looks inviting and the flowers are pretty. I'm surprised there are still flowers, hasn't it been really long since you had some rain?

mau - I really enjoyed the vacation photos :-) Wow, those are some really huge houses there ... don't see that over here ;-)

Rann
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 26, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6865018

Yes, those are oleanders. The flowers at the beach must live off of fog. It hasn't rained for months.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

July 26, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6865578

Love catching up, but keeping up is more fun; will need to work toward that.
On Monday, the feel/sound and smell of fall arrived~in the 50's low 60's, terribly windy and rain today.
Momma moose and twins near our home earlier this week.

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6866523

Good morning!

It's cloudy, fairly calm and 54F this morning :-) Slightly warmer than yesterday.

Kiska - sorry to hear, fall is making an early appearance over there as well ... love the moose photo :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6867025

78.7 F with 90 for the high. Cooling slightly over the next few days.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 55 F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 79 F
Clouds: Few 11000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

2002 Winter Olympic mascot "Powder" skiing down Mount Isis.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6867350

Ive missed so much.

Celia Thanks for the recipe! The mojitos were great LOL! I changed the sugar amount to 3.5 tablespoons.
Rann You do have the cutest bunny ever! I wouldnt be able to say no to those beautiful brown eyes either.
E_B Its nice to hear from you! Your garden is as beautiful as ever!
Rann I hope the government gets the economy straightened out soon.
Pepper Your spiderwort sounds like our dollar weed.grrrr
Marylyn Go Charles on the a/c fix! So glad your friend bought some of the books!
Rann- Tuscany Superb is gorgeous! Freezes already? It IS still July LOL!
Ric The deck looks awesome!
Celia- LOL at Monty!
Rann- Beautiful picture of your garden!
Mau Those pictures are great! LOL at the fisherman! Looks like some of the vacation homes here. The pig is too cute!
Celia- Awww at your birds!
Kelli I just cant get over all the rocks on your beaches. Theyre so pretty. Thats interesting about the Japanese gun.
Kiska- Moose pics! Love em!
Celia- LOL at Isis! She doesnt look happy. Wouldnt want to be on the receiving end of that glare LOL!

84.9 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 65 F
Wind: 4.3 mphfrom the ESE
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 87 F
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3100 ft
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 92. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

In spite of a couple of setbacks the party went great! WhewI got a little nervous then had a hot flash just about 15 minutes to curtain time LOL! I kept saying Please God not NOW!!! I'm exhausted. Woke up at 8am (which is late for me!) then lazed around until 10am then finished cleaning the kitchen mess.

We had a storm move through just as the party was getting started. I think 2 didn't show due to the weather. It cleared up after 30 minutes. The power went out at one point - this would happen on my party night LOL! - then came back on a few minutes later.

It was so much fun I'm planning another late September! Why use regular old ballons when you can have a giant parrot? This was the greeter at the mailbox. Can't miss my house LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 26, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6867885

Celia - LOL at Isis! :-)

Sharon - thanks for clearing that up (about July) I was starting to wonder! lol Yeah, I thought July was the one month of the year that was freeze-proof ... turnes out it's NOT! lol Only got down to 39F at my house so my plants weren't in jeopardy. LOVE that parrot balloon (and so do the girls!!), so glad the party went well (for the most part)!

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6869087

Sharon, so glad your party went well! I very much wish I could have been there. And, BTW? Isis wasn't POed. She had her Picasso face on! LOL

It was 90+ today and way too hot to be putting a GH together but...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 27, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6869236

A little cooler today. Probably high 80s with a nice breeze.

Helped my brother and his GF finish unpacking and decorate a bit today at their new place. Then came home and didn't want to do anything. lol.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #6869410

66F with scattered thunderstorms this evening. We had mid-70's today with a strong breeze and plenty of sunshine.

Kelli...Love the ocean photos but those cobble beaches are tricky to walk on. Ontario's Tobermory Peninsula has a well known one called Ankle Breaker Beach.

Ric...What are you planning to plant in the "cracks"?

Yesterday was the grandson's first birthday. Here's the obligatory cake photo.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6869430

Some of you might remember the little fenced in garden I made last fall. I still need to get some climbing roses and vines for the fence but still have quite a few things blooming there. Some things are temporary fillers and some are permanent.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
2:55 AM

Post #6869437

Another view...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6869442

And finally, the view from the upstairs window of the garage.

early_bloomer

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #6869489

e_b you've been sorely missed!
The shots are great. Love how it's maturing!! LOL @ the Cake Shot!

Celia don't forget Cats have LONG memories! LOL!
I agree much too hot for GH work.

Sharon I'm glad the party went so well!
Jimmy Buffett will be here in a few weeks... we're already seeing those ballons here too! LOL!

LLOONNGG Day but fun.
Great change from yesterday's rain out.
We started out about 10 by going to a few Ponds on the West Side.
We've been to both before and wanted to see how they had matured.
Perfectly! And the couples were just as great this year as last time.
We apparently missed Joycet, Bertie and Company by a few hours at the second one.

Then we swung up north and to hit a Garden Joyce had called us about Saturday.
Joanne's Garden was amazing.
Very much in the style of Clara and Chas Garden here by us.
In fact many of the artisans there we knew from C & C's.
Had a great time, got some new ideas, bought a few new mini Hostas and talked w/ some great gardeners and suppliers.

After that garden we stopped by to see DustyDS and Jim.
They are moving to GA a week from today and we'll miss them.
Hung out, reminisced and generally said our in person goodbyes.
Dusty showed us their new place in GA and it's ideal!
The dogs in particular will love it.

Then we popped in over at Joycet's for a short visit to see the new pond.
Killer! And the Garden has filled in incredibly since the RU.

Then dinner and home... got back about 9 PM.
So an 11 hour road trip.
We were whipped! LOL!

We saw 3 Fish Feeding Frenzies today.
Here's the first one at one of the Pond Tour Ponds.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 27, 2009
3:19 AM

Post #6869521

Sunny & hot today. High of 80 +.
I went to Mankato today & picked up material to build Strawberry beds.
The one we did this spring is working well, so we are going to build a bigger set. Plan is to fill a 20 x 60 greenhouse.
This is the small one we are currently using. Picking berries every other day.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 27, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6869529

This was in a greenhouse until the wind blew the thing to pieces. We are going to put this house back up in a less windy location.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #6869585

Bernie that's one BIG window box!!! lol!

Ric
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6870290

Good morning!

The sun is out again! We actually got some rain yesterday ... mostly a slow drizzle but there were at least two heavy showers. Could see 60F again today :-) 54F at 9 am.

EB - congrats on your DGS birthday! What a cute photo! :-) lol LOVE how your fenced garden has turned out! Wow! :-)

Ric - sounds like a busy (but fun) day you had! lol

Bernie - mmmmm strawberries :-) My planter aren't quite that long (unfortunately!)! lol

This is Isabelle Renaissance

Hope you have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6870388

Celia - Way to hot to do heavy work outside. Is Darrell drilling for oil? LOL!
Pepper 80s sounds like heaven at this point! That was sweet of you to help you brother and GF.
E_B Your temps sounds even better. What a cutie; you can tell he really enjoyed the cake portion of the party! Your garden is gorgeous!
Bernie Love the berries and the massive window box!
Rann - You have some of the most beautiful roses!

77.0 F
Mostly Cloudy
Pressure: 30.09 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 F
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft

Today
Partly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 88. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6870540

LOL, Sharon. He was using my Awesome Auger to make holes big enough for the 2' posts. Or, as he put it, "I'm drilling a hole."

Rann, it's hard to find a bad rose but, I agree with Sharon. You taek great pictures of them.

Bernie, very nice boxes. Another idea for me to "borrow."

EB, love how your bed turned out! It's really filled in nicely. That's a great blackmail photo! LOL

69.1 F with 90 for the high, Again.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 50 F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.98 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

New hanging plants. Asparagus fern, Vinca minor 'Illumination' and NOID Sweet Potato vine.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6870544

Monty came over to see what was up with mommy hiding in the grass.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6870545

This is what mommy was doing. Getting hummer pics!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
1:31 PM

Post #6870548

Hummer feet!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6870551

Isis didn't care.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6870569

Hummer Feet! LOL!

Great Day going here!
Off to dig Bamboo.
If I'm not back in 48 hours send help!

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6870584

LOL, Ric! We'll be on standby.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 27, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6871498

I've been eating strawberries on my cereal every morning!
Wait until you see the new ones. They are going to be 32" wide by 8 foot long. They will sit on legs, but we will be able to set them on the ground for the winter. We will cover them with straw so they live through the cold weather.

Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6871513

I can't even catch up.

Ominus clouds Friday. 6/10'' rain with wind. No damage.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6871532

I took this picture from the TV. It's earth from a satallite and in real time. In the equator it says END. Also on Friday.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6871548

Wow, Bernie...a 32"x8' strawberry. THAT you need to take pictures of!

The end of the world? I thought it felt weird around here lately.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6871564

Today's weather, 80 and the grass is still wet with dew. We haven't had a dry morning since I don't know when. It's going to warm up with a chance of rain this late afternooon.

I have homemade sourkraut brining on the porch. My first attempt with my own cabbage ;o)~

I need to mow.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 27, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6871624

Once again, I am waaaay behind. Good afternoon everyone--I'm back from my mini-vacation--hated to come home but I had to come back to reality some time--LOL
Celia: you are so funny! "Big strawberry" and "end of the world"---LOLOL
Great "hummer" pics--I want a camera like yours!!
Rann: lovely roses. Your bunny(I still can't type her name) is so cute--yummy raspberries!
Great photo of the earth, BP.
EB: good to see you posting again. Lovely photos, as usual. It's hard to believe your little grandson is a year old already! They grow up so fast!
Ric: sounds like you had a great garden tour--but that was a long day, indeed!

If I haven't commented on someone's particular post, please forgive me--I'm too far behind to catch up. As Kiska said, it's more fun to keep up, but that's hard to do when one is away from home.

It's hot again here but "only" up into the high 80's today. Abundant sunshine--however, we did have a rain during the night.

here's me in a kayak plus there are a couple of other things that might interest you
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/MarilynInKayak?authkey=Gv1sRgCLn6mL-9ke-e9AE#

edited to say:
whoops----I didn't realize I had already posted this link--sorry about that.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2009 12:39 PM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6871928

Mau - great to have you back and I'm so glad you had a good time! Looks like it from your photos - they're great :-)

Celia - LOL at Isis and Monty - they are soooo funny. Love the hummer shots! That hanging basket looks promising!

Sally - great photos :-)

It's clouded up again and gotten quite breezy this afternoon ... liked it better when it was sunny and not so breezy ... rain in the forecast for tomorrow and wednesday.

Rann

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 27, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6872188

Hi, everyone! I have to catch up so much...which I'll do tomorrow!
It's been cooling off here, we even had a shower on Saturday and the winds brought a bit of chilly after so much heat!
Here are some pics from my garden .

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 27, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6872195

Cucumber flowers.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 27, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #6872211

Tomatoes and spaghetti squash flowers.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 27, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6872215

Sweet peppers.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6872240

Very productive garden, Adina!

Quoting: I just cant get over all the rocks on your beaches.

I'm not sure why, but I think that's funny. That was a difficult beach to walk on, at least at high tide, so we stayed up on the bluffs. I found the bluffs kind of interesting - this big flat place above the high tide line. At the beaches where we usually go, down closer to where we live, there is no coastal plain. The mountains go right down to the water.

Hot again for the next week, or month, or two...
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on July 27, 2009
91 F
Clear
Wind: 9 mph from the SE
Heat Index: 90 F
UV: 12 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6872260

This is not that good of a picture since I was looking towards the sun, but this is what it was like on that bluff or flood plain. It's very flat with a lot of scrub, but these are different plants than are found in my usual hiking places. The driftwood was probably washed in by the Ventura River. It's a typical southwestern river - a joke 95% of the time and a torrent the rest of the time.

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 27, 2009

Post #6872264

Thanks, Kelli! It sure is a rocky beach! Great picture!
Another product!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 27, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #6872288

Wow, you wouldn't guess a river passes through there!
Rose balsams.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 27, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6872296

Cosmos.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6872298

The cucumber looks good. They always turn out bitter for me. I guess it is because of the heat. This year I planted Armenian cucumbers and Japanese cucumbers because they aren't supposed to get bitter. I got everything in late, so I don't have any fruits yet.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 27, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6872305

Two funny twin sunflowers!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6872329

They're shy

In this picture you can see where the Ventura River goes into the ocean. http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=3505&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2002 It looks respectable sized there, but a short ways up it isn't much more than a creek. Older references call that area Hobo Jungle. Right at the edge of the ocean, in the middle of the image and to the left, you can see two round things and those are those gun platforms.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 27, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6872335

Mine are Jewish...a friend brought me the seeds from Israel and they are bitter on the end where it was the stalk.
Snapdragon.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 27, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6872353

Wow, very impressive! Thanks!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 28, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6873393

Hot and sunny today. High of 91. Hottest day of the week. We will be back in the low 80s again this week.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2009
10:03 AM

Post #6874527

Celia Love the hummer toes and Monty and Isis pics!
Bernie Im so jealous of your fresh fruit!
Sally Cool pics! I need to mow too, but I just mowed 3 days ago LOL!
Mau Glad you are back! Love the vacation pics!
Adina Your garden looks great!
Kelli All we have are broken shells on our beaches. Its interesting to see rocks and boulders on yours.
Adina Pretty snaps!

73.2 F
Partly Cloudy
Dew Point: 67 F
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 73 F
Clouds: Few 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 90. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

We had a storm move through at 5pm yesterday. It rained for about 45 minutes then blue skies. I went to see The Proposal with some friends last night. Very funny movie. We laughed until our faces hurt.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6874755

Good morning!

It's cloudy today, breezy but still dry. Could get some rain today. 55F

Kelli - love the beach shot and the other one is really neat too! Love that landscape ... so different from what I'd picture for California.

Adina - your garden is looking good! :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6874885

Great Shots ALL of you!

We're deep in a project. BBL

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6875185

Can't wait to see the new project.

Sharon, very pretty vignette.

72.0 F with 88 for our high today. Maybe we can get this silly GH up.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 48 F
Wind Gust: 3.0 mph
Pressure: 29.95 in (Steady)
(Above Ground Level)

This message was edited Jul 28, 2009 8:41 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6877287

Sunny, Bright and Hot is supposed to rain - will have to haul water soon otherwise.

Garden doing well. Care to all - Dyson
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2009
1:43 AM

Post #6877906

Celia looks like the hard part is done.
No comes the fun part... where it starts to look like a structure.

We've ironed out all the design plans and have a materials list.
Still digging and planting.
The actual 'project' will be a snap.

The heck w/ Boot Camp... have the military dig bamboo!
We're hoping for rain tonight to soften the ground a little.
Digging the 'boo isn't TOO bad.
Burying 1/2 barrells is the killer. 24" round holes by 18" deep... last 10" are solid dry clay...

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6877972

Perfect weather today til about 2pm. Temps have been in low 70s all day with humidity going up and down with the sprinkles. About 2pm we got hit with a downpour and guess where I was? I was out working on iris hill at Powell Gardens!! No trees or anything to soften the downpour. Luckily I had my raincoat on so only my jeans and shoes got soaked. lol. Had to leave early and come home and put dry clothes one.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #6878593

Yes, Ric, the hard part is finished. We'll be laying sand, black cloth and, finally, stress mats with holes for drainage. We have some shelving to go in and will be getting/building a work bench.

It was pleasant today. Not too hot and breezy. Now, we need some rain.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2009
10:01 AM

Post #6879000

Celia Thanks!
Ric Dig much farther youll be in China!
Celia- Sodid you get the silly GH up?
Dyson Waving! How have you been? Glad to hear about your garden!
Ric Your little helper looks comfy!
Pepper LOL! At least you got to leave work early!

75.6 F
Scattered Clouds
Dew Point: 69 F
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 F
Clouds: Few 15000 ft

Today
Partly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms early in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the late morning and afternoon. High 90. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

We got a little downpour yesterday around 6pm. I forgot to put my rain meter out so I don't know what we've received lately.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6879413

Nice slow soaking rain all day scheduled.
70 though so we did get a little night heat.
It's really hard to get any tomatoes to ripen w/ these cool evenings.
Beans LOVE it though.
We're getting ready to make our 3rd pick in the rows.

Here's the after shots of the first and toughest potting.
This 'boo now breaks up the 'long view' .

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6879428

View from the Deck...
This will fill out (hopefully) and as it's evergreen should make some nice winter interest.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6880020

Ric, I know what you mean about digging in that clay. We hit ours about 8" down. Took forever to get 10" more. Is that the black bamboo? ("have the military dig bamboo." heh heh heh)

Sharon, no, it isn't up yet. (sigh) I have to get the sand down so Darrell can help with the cloth. Cute hummer!

Dyson, good to hear from you, if only briefly.

Adina, your gardens are coming along so pretty.

73.5 F with 90 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 52 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the WNW
Pressure: 29.89 in (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 10000 ft
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6880429

70 F with a gentle rain falling. Looks like we are getting the same all day soaker as Ric.

The neighbor who rented the house across the street the past couple of years is moving. She was an avid gardener and made beds and planted a ton of perennials around the property. I thought it was crazy to put that much time, money and effort into a property she didn't own but apparently she thought she was going to purchase the house sometime in the future. She came over a week ago, told me she was moving, said there was no way she was leaving all the plants she had purchased for the landlord. She wanted me to have them. On Monday I dug plants for 5 hours and then went back and got a few more yesterday. Astilbes, speedwells, clematis, daylilys, snakeplants, yarrows, guras, sedums, hostas and tons more. Here is a photo of a clematis. I dug a big root ball and moved it trellis and all.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #6880436

My box garden is growing like crazy. this is what it looked like in spring.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6880447

And now...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6880464

Which leads to this...Fresh veggies on the grill. I bought one of those wire grilling baskets on clearance last fall. Best $4.00 I ever spent. (I didn't grow the mushrooms) :)

early_bloomer

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6880669

now -

Through 245 PM...isolated showers and thunderstorms continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers are moving northeast to east at 15 to 25 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas near Newberry...Archer... Gainesville...Jacksonville International Airport and St Marys. Expect...brief gusty winds...heavy downpours and dangerous cloud to ground lightning with thunderstorm activity.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6880847

Just beautiful, EB!

Keep your head down, Sharon!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6881328

Ha, Celia--from the looks of Isis' eyes, she is not a happy camper. You've heard the expression "madder than a wet hen"? Make that: "Madder than a wet cat!"
Oh, and good luck on the GH.

Ric: I'm assuming you planted the bamboo in a barrel so it wouldn't spread like crazy all over your garden? It's pretty but it is my understanding that bamboo is very invasive. Am I correct?

Adina: your flowers and veggies are really looking good!

EB: Wow--you hit the jackpot on the neighbor's flowers--except that you have to dig them up but I'm sure you think it is worth it all. The box gardens are looking super! You and Bernie are making my mouth water with all those fresh veggies---yumm!

Pepper: glad you made it home and into some dry clothes.

Dyson: hope you get some rain soon.

Sharon: nice succulents--and stay inside during that storm!

Currently raining again but I'm not complaining--it means not having to water the flowers! Current temp is 76 F -- a nice break from the 90+ temps normal for this time of year.

Ric: this is Big Dipper--are the lower leaves like that due to too much rain or is something else causing them to be spotted? One of the Big Dipper plants now has 11 leaves on it!!

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2009
8:55 PM

Post #6881363

Great pictures, E_B!

Kind of annoying around here today. Another baby mockingbird has been screeching away all week. The woman behind us apparently got a parrot and this morning she was playing over and over a recording of herself saying "pretty bird". Now her housekeeper is over there playing the stereo outside. Uggh! It's an indoor day for me.

This would have been a good day to go hiking but DH had a meeting.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on July 29, 2009
81 F
Clear
Humidity: 49%
Dew Point: 60 F
Wind: 4 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.86 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 82 F
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 12 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Easter cactus that doesn't know what time of year it is.

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 29, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6881399

Garden tour today.
Onions set out to dry.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 29, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6881408

Watermelons.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 29, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #6881417

Second planting of beans.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 29, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6881428

Onions, later ones.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 29, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6881442

Big view. On left, basil. Next celery, followed by bell peppers. Beyond the peppers are eggplant, cucumbers, & hot peppers. Far end are potatoes.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 29, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6881446

Carrots & beets.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 29, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6881454

Kale in front, cole crops rest of area.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 29, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6881467

Pickles.

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6881641

E_B, I'm drooling - first over the flowers and then those veggies! Yumm! I'm sorry your neighbor had to move, but very glad she is letting you salvage her plants. :-)

Bernie, your gardens look great! I want to try growing some kale and cabbage this fall. They are winter crops around here.

Celia, Isis looked very ticked off. LOL

Ric, the "boo" looks great!! Sinking them in pots was very very wise.

Hi, Dyson!! It's so good to see you pop in! :-)

Adina, your gardens are looking beautiful, too.

Kelli, as always, I love your photos. I had never heard that the Japanese fired on the mainland during WWII ! I wonder how all of our textbooks missed that?

The bunnies and I went swimming at a friends' neighborhood pool this morning, which was very fun. Our neighborhood doesn't have one, and the city pool in the area doesn't open until 1:30 - by which time all the sunblock in the world really isn't enough protection, so going in the morning was great! It's a nice pool, too, and although it's a fairly big neighborhood, there was only our group of 3 families in the water, so it was really easy to keep track of all of the kids. Perfect! :-)

Huh... I was just about to cut and paste my weather when a little jumping spider scurried across the desk in front of me. I grabbed a piece of scrap paper to smoosh it - and accidentally hit something that made the top of my browser disappear... Now which key does that?? I can never remember. I'd better send this before I start experimenting. LOL

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6882514

Celia we'd be missing several digits if we tried that w/ our cats! LOL!

e_b Killer Shots!
Sweet Deal but I feel for your neighbor.
I'm glad she found someone to treasure her plants.

Bernie just how many acres are you all doing up there?
That's SOME operation!

Mau my guess is the spotted leaves are the ones original to here?
They just look old and sunburned.
You can cut them off now as it appears well established.

Well it started raining about 11PM and rained thru 11AM.
Then we got a break so we started digging again.
Got ALL the back fence Black out and re-potted.
We leap frogged. The hole made from yesterday's transplant got the first pot.
That 'boo made the next hole etc...

We just got the second pot in when a T-Storm hit again.
Which was good as we'd been slogging around in mud for 4 hours.
When I worked construction we called it 'Big Footing'.
The Clay/Mud combo sticks to your feet...
makes them about twice as big and it feels like you have bricks stuck to your feet.

The P. nigra was not contained.
The reason being is it's pretty expensive.
Our original 3 gallon pot cost me 75 bucks years ago.
I let it go 'forth and multiply'.
5 gallons are now going for 50 - 65 ...
we will have seven 1/2 barrels (27.5 gal) and one or two 15 gallons when we finish this transplant.

Our other bamboos are barrier-ed.
There's a 24" deep metal barrier surrounding each clump.

Here's 12 o'clock.
The clump on the right is fresh dug.
Ric

This message was edited Jul 29, 2009 8:50 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 30, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6882556

Only 5 acres. Years ago we had 18.
I think we are getting more off of less acres. We cut out sweet corn, winter squash, pumpkins & muskmelons. All take to much room.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6882561

It was so humid we were wringing wet w/ sweat.
I had to keep tipping my head back to let the water run out of the inside of my glasses.
Bamboo leaves will slice you so you have to wear a heavy shirt, goggles or glasses and gloves.

One more big clump and this prep stage is done.
Here's about 3:30.
The fence is 6' 9" to the top.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #6882572

Wow Bernie I'd have thought about 10!
You are getting a nice yield!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6882913

Biy, Ric--digging that bamboo is quite an undertaking. I know you and Robyn will be glad when that chore is over!
re: the BIg Dipper: You may be right about the spotted leaves being the original ones--I will cut them off tomorrow. That "dipper" is already sprouting "babies"--can you believe it?!
Bernie: Wow--only 5 acres? Like Ric, I would have thought it was more than that.
Marylyn: glad you and the bunnies enjoyed the swim.
Kelli: I've never had a red cactus--mine is white. The red is very pretty. My cactus has been confused, too--It bloomed at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Valentine's Day! LOL

Still raining here--just lightly . Currently 73F
Everyone have a good rest-of-the-evening.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6883112

Perfect weather today!!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2009
7:09 AM

Post #6883713

I'm tired and there is too much to comment on.

All we have left is the structure and the GH is done.

Leveling the sand.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2009
7:11 AM

Post #6883716

Laying the cloth.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2009
7:13 AM

Post #6883717

I didn't just take pictures.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2009
7:15 AM

Post #6883718

Flooring done.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #6883936

Ric the path looks great!
E_B You got the motherlode! That was really nice of your neighbor to give you all the plants. The box garden is beautiful. I have 2 of those grill baskets. Love them.
Celia- My arms would have been torn to shreds if I had put a kitty in water. Mine loathe baths!
Kelli Id be indoors too. You have a most annoying neighbor! Pretty cactus regardless of the time of year LOL!
Bernie Your gardens look awesome!
Celia- Good job on the flooring!

74.5 F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 F

Today
Partly cloudy until late afternoon then becoming mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 90. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent. Heat index readings 98 to 102.

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6884229

Celia it's looking GREAT!
If you still have the shipping info... what does that GH weigh?

Peanut needs to be renamed Rocky!

Grey Day. It was supposed to clear off. Now they are saying Moderate chances of rain all day.

Well off to dig and slide in the mud...

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 30, 2009
1:28 PM

Post #6884251

Big rain storm overnight. Had a whopping 15hundreth of an inch. Awesome. At this rate we should be the Minnesota desert in a few weeks. The worst is, most of Minnesota is dryer than we are. Twin Cities area has had dead brown lawns for weeks now. Also cool everyday. Only one or two days over 90.
We are able to water our vegetable garden, so it will keep producing for us.
Time to head out & start washing produce.
Bernie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6884673

Good morning!

Mostly sunny here today, getting a bit more clouds this afternoon. Feels pretty warm and just a light breeze - not bad! :-) Around 60F.

Ric - wow, that's some backbreaking work ... and in that heat too! Bet you'll be glad when that's over!

Bernie - nice looking crops :-)

EB - you sure lucked out. Sorry for your neighbor. Your box garden looks great :-)

Sharon - looks like Peanut really wore Prizzy out! lol

Marylyn - glad you had a good time at the pool! Sounds perfect! Strange that the public pool opens so late ...

Off to enjoy the sun :-)

Photo from yesterday. I took the girls to a recreational area in the Heimrk nature park which lines the outskirts of Reykjavik and the neighboring towns.

Have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2009
4:00 PM

Post #6884889

Sharon, bath time isn't all that hard. We only lost a quart of blood between the 2 of us. It's keeping your grip on a wet, soapy cat that's hard! LOL Prissy looks perturbed now.

Ric, I'm not sure on the weight. That info is on the box but I'd have to move the truck to get to it. I'll find it later. It's made of polycarbonate and aluminum. After we get it set up, Darrell will be putting guy-wires on the 4 corners and attaching them to the posts.

Bernie, does the county let you water your veggies or do you have a supply? You make 5 acres look like 15.

Rann, looks like you all had fun. I wish we had 60. That would make working outside more enjoyable.

Our weather has been about normal for July, however, I talked to my DB in OR last night and they've been having a heatwave. Their temps have been 100 and above for 3 days and will be again today.

73.0 F with 90 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 47 F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the ESE
Pressure: 29.97 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Isis always gets into everything outside after bath time.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 30, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6885408

We have our well. Shallow, but lots of water. Also no softener needed & no iron. (Aren't we the lucky ones!) Just over 50 miles from here they can't use the old farm wells, to much pollution. So they have what is called rural water. A very deep well & then lines running to all the farms. Very expensive.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6885859

Raining - last years drought is now a dim memory. This year we have gotten to much rain and while it has helped many vegetables others have suffered.

This has been my best veggie garden in three years of trying, And after tasting the fruits of my grandchildren (s) labor The rest of the family seem ready to get on the train and start their own plot. We shall see how the next season goes but I need to be putting in some fall crops (between the rain drops).
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2009

Post #6886002

High 70s and partly cloudy. A nice breeze out there too. All in all perfect weather. Just need more rain to help water my veggie garden.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 30, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6886041

Quoting:Strange that the public pool opens so late ...

The city offers swimming lessons and water aerobic sessions, etc., in the mornings, and then they open up the pools for free swim in the afternoon. Some of the pools have swim teams, too. All of those things cost money and require that the pool is empty of teenagers doing cannonballs and little kids playing Marco Polo. LOL Free swim is actually free, so the city schedules the paying customers in the morning while the temperature is actually bearable to be outside in Houston. :-)

It's been cloudy all day, and I keep hoping it will rain, but it hasn't yet... It's 99 despite the clouds.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 30, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6886363

You all have been busy! I have been too with work and just watered the garden at home. Lucky we had a few showers today and it's cilly.
I got the first ripe tomatoes today!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6886369

Oh, boy! Do they look yummy!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 30, 2009
10:02 PM

Post #6886387

Peace rose blooming again.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6886399

Those tomatoes do look yummy, Adina! My mouth is watering!!
Pepper: I'm glad somebody is having perfect weather! It's raining here again today.
Bernie and Marylyn: I would sure send you some of our rain if I could. We didn't have any rain for almost a month and now we are wet, wet, wet again--and much cooler than normal. I like the cooler part of it but we are getting waterlogged again.
Celia: you are really going to enjoy having that greenhouse once you get it "up and running"! Isis sounds like Friday--get him clean and he goes outside and undoes it all! LOL
Ric: hope you didn't slide around in the mud too much! LOL
Sharon: Did Prissy just fall out after eating too much or was she looking for a warm spot to relax in the sun? :o))

We have had two days of pretty much rain all day. We are waterlogged again. Currently it is 75 and pouring again. It rains, stops for a little while and rains some more. I took this picture this morning in between rain showers.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6886409

Lovely peace rose, Adina!
Edited to add: Rann, I forgot to say that the girls look like they are having fun--I can't imagine having to wear jackets in July, though! LOL

This is one of my new echinaceas--it is called Fragrant Angel but it doesn't seem to have any fragrance--maybe when it opens up a little more.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2009 5:11 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #6886484

Quoting:I had never heard that the Japanese fired on the mainland during WWII ! I wonder how all of our textbooks missed that?

I'd guess it was a combination of it happening way out west, no one was killed, and no heroics where involved. Here is the story. http://www.militarymuseum.org/Ellwood.html I never heard the cactus part before and I'm kind of sceptical. It has the elements of a good urban legend.

Quoting:You have a most annoying neighbor!
Tell me about it. We call her The Loud Woman (TLW). DH says that she now has a recording of someone whistling snippets of songs and plays that over and over. DH says that this goes on for at least six hours. He thinks she is playing this in the house but has the back door open. Hey Celia, want to swap neighbors for a while?

Quoting:Had a whopping 15hundreth of an inch. Awesome.
Sounds absolutely Californian.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on July 30, 2009
86 F
Clear
Humidity: 38%
Wind: 4 mph Variable
Pressure: 29.87 in (Falling)
Heat Index: 85 F
UV: 10 out of 16

We went hiking today. There isn't much to show you this time of year. Even I have some trouble finding the beauty.

bush mallow

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #6886494

a little bit of woodland

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2009
10:32 PM

Post #6886503

pond - In the foreground are bundles of reeds that a group of guys were cutting. I don't know why.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6887234

Kelli steal those reeds and send them to us.
Reed fencing is VERY expensive.
Probably what they are being used for...

More Rain today!
Since we emptied the gauge on Tuesday we've had 1 1/2".
We had JUST replanted the last of the Black Boo at about 2 PM when it started raining again.
By 4 the sun was out.
It's raining all around us hard! Here it's just sprinkling so far.

We're under a flash flood watch till 8 AM.
Won't affect us at all as we are hundreds of feet above flood level.

BUT after Clayfooting for most of this week the prep is almost done.
We still have one small clump of Yellow Boo to move.
Then some barrier to put down but that's a minor job.

After the rain started we made a trip to Lowe's for some wood.
So we are ready to start building... Probably by noon.
I was hoping to start first thing but...LOL!

Everything from the corner of the Deck to that left Blue Pot to the corner of the Fence was Boo covered.
Notice the sweet working conditions.
Today at least it was a nice quick no rock or root dig.

Ric

This message was edited Jul 30, 2009 9:19 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6887258

Hey Look!
You can see the back of the Pond again! LOL!

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6887333

Is your dirt really as black as it looks in the photos? Is it naturally that color?

Whatever the reeds are for, they were doing a lot of work to get them. They had to wheel them by hand on a cart about 1/2 mile from the pond to the road and there were a couple of cart loads still left at the pond when we were there.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6887390

Nice photos Kelli. That bush mallow is gorgeous--do you ever frame any of your photos of the wildflowers and hang them on your walls? That "little bit of woodland" looks like a scene you might seein an old western movie.
Ric: yep, that looks like a muddy job! I know you'll be glad when it is finished. It is really going to look good once complete!
I took Friday outside for a trun around the yard before bedtime and much to my delight, I found this waiting on me. It was so big that I couldn't get it all in one shot!

This message was edited Jul 30, 2009 8:49 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6887401

and this is the sunset that made the rainbow possible:

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6887417

Here's a wider view of the rainbow:

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6887524

Great Rainbow shot Mau! Love it!

Kelli the dirt is actually that color for the first 12 or so.
Then it's pure first tan then grey clay.
You can actually throw pots w/ the grey stuff.
We've been adding humus, peat and compost for about 8 years.
Plus we rake about 18" of leaves in every Fall.
Then we suck/grind them up and use them as mulch in the Spring.

Rann after sweating our tails off in the humidty it's refreshing to see the girls in coats.

Adina it's good to see someone getting ripe tomatoes.
Our's are just sitting there green.

I was talking to some people on the Tour Sunday about Dave's.
They were simply amazed we had Friends in Iceland and Romania and talked about daily.
One guy said he hadn't talked to his Brother in weeks and he was his next door neighbor... LOL!

Here's Missy tubbing..

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6887561

Missy's been taking relaxation lessons from Monty! LOL

DGer's are the best kind of friends!!

Y'all have a good evening--"see" you tomorrow!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6887613

Super rainbow, Marilyn! I never made pictures to hand up of my photos. We have so many windows and doors that we don't have all that much wall space.

Ric, your soil sounds a lot like ours. It isn't as plastic as real pottery clay but I did make these. The larger one was fired in the fireplace and the smaller one was fired in the charcoal grill.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6887784

VERY nice Kelli!
We did that when I was in school as a kid but haven't tried it since.
Crude stuff nothing like yours.
I know some artists here mix the clay w/ water and strain it.
Then dry and pulverize to use for ceramic slip too.

Here at the house our layer goes at least 12' as we dug a sewer line that deep.
Below that are hundreds of feet of limestone.
We were an inland sea during the Paleozoic Era so we have TONS of fossils.
Lots of times you'll find them in the clay.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2009
5:44 AM

Post #6888199

Ric, I told Darrell and showed him the pics of your path. He really liked it and got excited. If/when we get a new deck, we'll be incorporating that into it.

Kelli, love the pics, as always. Pretty flower and pretty cool pottery.

Mau, WOW!!!

We got about halfway done and got called on account of rain. But it never rained.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2009
10:59 AM

Post #6888486

I'll start a new thread in the morning. Prissy was having a morning after sleep in from the party last weekend. Shes looked how I felt LOL! Worn out! Peanut wanted to play.

Bernie Sorry to hear about the drought. I hope you get some significant rain soon.
Rann Looks like the girls had a fun time at the park!
Celia- You washed the fun off Isis. She wants it back (just like a dog)!
Dyson So glad to hear you are finally getting some rain! Glad the garden is doing so well. Feast or famine
Adina Yummm! The peace rose is gorgeous!
Mau Your garden looks great! Beautiful rainbow!
Ric- Missy is beautiful!
Kelli Nice job on the pots!

75.2 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 87%
Pressure: 30.12 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 75 F

Today
Partly cloudy. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms early in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

I saw sumpin...

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2009
11:00 AM

Post #6888488

I know I saw sumpin

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #6888489

where'd it go?

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #6888491

hmmmmmmmph

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6889007

Sharon LOL!
Frustrated cats are SO funny!

Celia tell Darrell thanks!
And if this new project works out I may have a bit simpler way of doing what you're looking for in a deck.
The reason I was asking about weight is we need to put a GH up on the new Sewing Room roof.
No hurry we have months yet. Just curious about structural loads.

We got a Monsoon lsat night.
BUT the sun is shining and should be thru the weekend.
So we WILL get this thing finished.

Here's the final collection from the Williamsburg Garden Tour a few weekend ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/collections/72157621777155536/

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6889352

Ric, lots of great pics there. So many pretty and unique gardens to see. Thanks for sharing those. I can't find out shipping info but the GH in the box can be carried by 2 people, so, not that heavy. Maybe...150lbs?

Sharon, that Boo is hilarious! LOL

And Marylyn? No, I don't want to trade. :-) We need to breath a bit before we find out how the new people across the street are going to act. The nice people 2 doors down are moving, too. The sign went up yesterday. Want to move here?

74.4 F with 90 for the high.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 48 F
Pressure: 29.99 in (Rising)
Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

All bluster and no bite.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6889405

I tell ya, Celia, your views are certainly a lot more exciting than ours!! We have to drive for an hour to find something that resembles a real hill. LOL It would be a rather long commute for my Charles, though, so I don't think a move to Utah is in the plans. It would be fun to be your neighbor, though. :-)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 31, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6889451

Okay, One can hope, though. :-)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6891126

All quiet on the western front - thank goodness

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on July 31, 2009
88 F
Clear
Humidity: 37%
Dew Point: 59 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SE
Heat Index: 87 F
UV: 10 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

picture from yesterday - I like the sound of the wind in this grass

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6891142

This ecosystem is called oak woodlands but we call them poison oak woodlands. Just about everything you see here that is not a tree is poison oak. That's pretty typical for oak woodlands.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 1, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6891990

Another perfect day. Sunny with temps in the low 80s and low humidity with a breeze. I'm not complaining one bit!! LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 1, 2009
3:33 AM

Post #6892434

It rained this evening. Real nice rain. We needed it!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6892508

Well we finished the prep for the new build.
Took 2 days longer than we originally thought but the rain got us.
Last night we had 1 3/4" more.
The nice thing about Hot and Humid was I worked in Trunks and Hiking Sandals.
I could just go straight to the shower and wash the mud off me and the clothes.
All our supplies are bought. We'll be building tomorrow.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2009
6:25 AM

Post #6892857

Glad to hear about the rain, Bernie. You all need it badly.

What are we making now?

Our GH is almost done. Not quite because I can't do it alone and Darrell doesn't get home until later in the day. We work until we can't see what we're doing them have supper.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2009
6:27 AM

Post #6892858

More is done than this. The roof has a couple more peices then we connect it to the floor.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6893291

Interesting Celia.
I didn't realize it was free standing.
That could come in handy.

Mist is burning off here. 64 at 9 AM. Going for 84.
They are predicting 90 by Monday.

Well Kelli that's one woodland I won't be going in.
I was almost hospitalized as a kid from someone burning brush which was mostly Poison Ivy.
I did though develop a pretty good tolerance after that.
Luckily Robyn is immune.
We are always finding some volunteers around here.
Love the grasses too!
The hills still look pretty green. Isn't that unusual for this late?

Ric
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 1, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6893341

we've moved here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1021987/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America