Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Invasive Plants: weedy vine, taking over: ID help please

Communities > Forums > Invasive Plants
bookmark
Forum: Invasive PlantsReplies: 16, Views: 409
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6843787

I hope this is not bindweed: I read once that if you have that, the control is to MOVE. :(
This is all over a huge clump of forsythia. I live in a rural area, woods and pasture. We have kudzu nearby but this is not it.

And it's about to bloom!

Any help appreciated. All the descriptions I saw/read just weren't clear to me.

Thanks!

Thumbnail by cedar18
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6846590

Looks like some kind of an Ivy. BEV
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6846798

It might be Carolina Coralbead or Moonseed, Cocculus carolinus, a US native:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=COCA&photoID=epca5_001_avd.tif

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=W840
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6847839

CLAYPA - I think you are right! I will be on the lookout for the seed, very showy. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have any wildlife value :( but at least it's native. Amazing -- I think I know a bit about native plants and then I encounter new ones that I've never seen on any hikes or rambles.

Thanks so much. It is actually pretty, but it looks like it has monster-tendencies.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2009
6:35 AM

Post #6849775

Well, the USDA site says "moderate value for large mammals", which really makes me wonder what animals they're referring to... lol...and the Johnson Wildflower mentions birds eating the fruit.

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=COCA
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6851287

Thanks claypa. I had seen the part about large mammals (hmmm, Bambi?) but not about birds. I wondered though since the fruit is so showy. Glad to know it has the attribute. We have lots of large deciduous trees but not enough understory. We have planted hollies, paw paw, beautyberry and other berry plants but want more! So perhaps this vine will join us - but we'll have to set strict curfews. :)
Poetinwood
Council Hill, OK

November 14, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #7271997

That is Smilax rotundifolia, bull briar, greenbriar, cat briar. It is actually edible, no I haven't eaten it...yet.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 14, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #7272351

Cedar18's plant doesn't appear to have thorns, or parallel leaf veins - pretty sure it's not Smilax.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #7293161

No it does not have thorns. But I do have PLENTY O'Smilax. It is truly the devil's spawn.

hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 20, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #7293533

It sounds like Georgia has lots of invasives. is that cause it's such a great place to live?
~smile~
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #7293999

Smilax is considered "weedy", but it's native so it's not an "invasive" plant.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #7301627

I guess it depends on your viewpoint. I've always thought Ga. is actually a much better place to live, then visit. Atlanta, I'm thinking of, is not a great city to my mind (and I am a native of N. Ga._.

Smilax is weedy and invasive and native. So there to all viewpoints!!
Yes, hanseycollie, it is a great place to live, at least here above the "gnat line." We luckily have a great climate (although a bit TOO hot in July and Aug) and many plants find it likable.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #7301928

It seems those on DG in Georgia have awesome gardens, or so it seems, but many invasives too. Here in Missouri, and in Minnesota (home planet) I don't think we have as many invasives, maybe with the winter freezes. I could be way wrong, just speculating.

Lived in Atlanta as a child off Heards Ferry Road and Riverside? It is a beautiful area - we shopped on Roswell Road. My parents loved it, I was too young to really care, LOL.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 24, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #7306211

Hanseycollie, yes we do have many invasives. Our long growing season is the culprit. I remember reading years ago in a gardening mag where someone up north, Minn. I think, thought kudzu was a great summer vine!! Of course, here, it eats acres every day -- before your very eyes. But there it is killed back completely. I guess the same happens with some bugs.

I know Roswell a little and it's very nice, near the river. You wouldn't recognize the big A now. It's a huge sprawling city-thing.
hanseycollie
Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2009
8:33 PM

Post #7306568

We lived in an area called Riverside near the Chattahoochee River. And I am originally from Minnesota so yes, kudzu is beautiful to us from the Frozen Tundra. Of course, when your temps go from 70 above to 70 below in a few months, I don't think invasives are much of a problem, LOL. Unless, of course, it's invasive aqua-life from lake to lake. Now that is a real problem there, very sad too.
killdawabbit
Christiana, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2010
4:18 AM

Post #7568417

claypa wrote:It might be Carolina Coralbead or Moonseed, Cocculus carolinus, a US native:

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=COCA&photoID=epca5_001_avd.tif

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=W840[/quote]

claypa is correct. I've also seen it called Carolina Moonseed vine. I have one very beautiful vine of it climbing a Black Locust along with Rosa Climbing Clothilde Soupert. The best way I've found to get rid of the vines I don't want is to cut them back to the ground but leave enough above ground to spray with stump killer being careful to not get any on desirable plants. It may have to be done more than once but it is killable. The roots go deep and a long way. But persistence pays off.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2010
2:14 PM

Post #7571383

thanks for the followup killd- I'll keep an eye on it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Invasive Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. dodecatheon 79 Mar 2, 2008 2:12 AM
Ampelopsis brevipedunculata 'Elegans' Invasive. snapple45 19 Dec 10, 2008 2:12 AM
Nutsedge, sedge, etc. - questions & comment Dea 20 Nov 12, 2009 2:32 AM
Wild onions. escambiaguy 19 May 6, 2009 8:05 PM
Wisteria judycooksey 97 Jun 8, 2007 5:32 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America