AuthorContent

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6846072

Mine will be ready in a few days and I want to save some for the winter. Can it be frozen in the husk or does it HAVE to be husked, silked and blanched? Give me the reasoning one way or the other. If blanching is necessary, can it be done while still in the husk? Any and all responses welcomed!

Doug
jjconcepts
Milford, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6847427

I only blanch a few ears without the husks. Most of my sweet corn gets the silk pulled out and into the freezer with the husk on. Nothing beats grilling in mid feb during a snowstorm... and grilling isn't the same without sweet corn. I don't know the rules on freezing corn but straight from the garden to the freezer Works well. I use a subzero running between 2 and 10 deg F It freezes them right up and the corn is almost as sweet and crunchy as the day it was picked.
-joe-
RxAngel
Stratford, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 1, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #8012196

This is timely, as I just harvested some sweet corn, and the DH doesn't eat much of it!

Thanks!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #8025460

I freeze my whole cob corn in the husk also, I just make sure the ends of the corn on the cob are clean from bugs lol

and stick them whole in one of those 2 l/2 gallon bags, and fill it and stick it in the freezer. works fabulous, I then just take one or two corn cobs out of the freezer and stick them in the microwave as is and they cook in their husk perfectly
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2010
9:11 PM

Post #8034752

I take the husk off, cook them for 3 minutes then immediately put them into ice water for at least 5 minutes. I use a vaccuum sealer and into the freezer. They are just like fresh from the garden when I boil them for 3-5 minutes. I will be doing more this year.
I also do prepare the corn the same way and cut it off the cob. Wonderful cooked in the microwave during the winter. My children are looking for me to do more this year so they can have some in their freezers.
bluepoppy
Landisburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

March 31, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8462454

we froze some on the cob last fall and husked the corn and then vacumn sealed and it is like fresh this winter...

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 15, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8694370

I've tried freezing both on the cob and off (blanched both), and thought that the corn I cut off the cobs had better flavor. Somehow the corn frozen on the cob tasted like. . .well, cobs.

When I checked my extension service website, it recommended ALWAYS blanching corn before freezing, to destroy the enzymes that cause spoilage. It also said it kept longer and retained the taste and nutrition better after blanching. I've never tried freezing in the husk, though I've often grilled fresh corn in the husk.

http://web.extension.illinois.edu/state/newsdetail.cfm?NewsID=7148
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

July 23, 2011
11:29 AM

Post #8710822

Mine get cleaned, husks and silk removes and a quick rinse and then into vacumn bags and quickly into the freezer. Nothing like "fresh sweet corn during a snow storm...
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8740325

Every time I've tried to freeze corn on the cob it tastes soggy when recooked. I always blanched and chilled first - I think I'll try the straight-in method this year to see if that is the cause of the sogginess.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 59 Nov 2, 2012 9:35 AM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America