Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Landscaping: Boxwood bush w/ white dots/bugs on it. Remedy and identify?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 11, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
shootsnlad
Dubuque, IA

July 21, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6846622

I have some boxwood bushes with white dots/bugs all over them (see image). I'm looking for some identification and how to get rid of these. Last year it almost killed one of the bushes, luckily it came back. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Joe

Thumbnail by shootsnlad
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6848367

It is difficult to tell from the image, however, you might try emailing your county agricultural extension agent with the photo. It appears to be a very serious "buggy" problem and then, it is a decision to make as to how to deal with it. Some are totally against chemicals and although I don't like them myself, it is sometimes an only last resort effort to deal with the problem. I wish you luck.
lizzle820
Saint Charles, MO

July 17, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7975443

Have you been able to identify what this is on your boxwood? I ask because I am having the same problem this year.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2010
4:25 AM

Post #7987591

looks like a whitefly infestation..."Safer" brand of insect killing soap should work well for you. If you have any privet or gardenia's in the yard check them out too as they are a common host plant for whiteflies. Hopes this helps!

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #7993214

I work at a retail nursery and customers bring leaves like this to us about once per week. It's not whitefly, it's a type of insect called "scale". And unfortunately insecticidal soap will not kill it. You have two options: use a systemic insecticide such as Isotox or Bayer Tree & Shrub Insect Control, or use a horticultural oil on it now and a dormant oil again in winter.
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 26, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7998336

plantfreak78 - I've had both hard and soft scale on several different types of plants and I've also had whitefly. The picture looks NOTHING like scale; but A LOT like whitefly.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 26, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7998511

I am 100% positive that this is some kind of scale, most likely Euonymus scale like these: http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=1626034

Also, whitefly lay their eggs on the undersides of leaves and what we are looking at in this picture is mainly the upper surfaces of the leaves. Besides, whitefly has little to no interest in Buxus. (Although I suspect that if we had a better picture we'd see that the plant in question isn't boxwood at all but instead, Boxleaf Euonymus)
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 27, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #7999962

I stand corrected. You're right; that looks A LOT like the link you posted. That's a new one for me, and I've dealt with a great deal of scale in the past on many of my plants.

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 27, 2010
8:52 AM

Post #7999976

Sorry to put my foot down so hard :) I never insist that I'm right unless I know for sure I am for fear that someone who does know the answer will put me in my place :)
Grantman31
West Palm Beach, FL

July 27, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #7999990

I'm glad you did. I would hate for the individual to get incorrect information by an arrogant individual such as myself and seek the wrong remedy!
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #8001699

Don't be so hard on yourself Grantman31...I thought the same thing you did and went to the several websites after reading plantfreak's post thinking really?...I worked at a nursery for several years and the only scale I've run across is the beige colored one that looks like a 'blister' so we all learned something new...and I'm always up for that!! :)~ that's what I love most about Daves...always something new to learn and share...have a great day everyone!

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 28, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #8002033

It's amazing how many different types of scale I've come across that look nothing alike. My favorite it called wax scale. At work we jokingly call it jelly mint scale because if you pick it off of the stem it kind of looks like a red-centered jelly mint after you've taken a bite. Ewwww! :)

http://www.fluvannamg.org/vce/2009/ScaleInsects.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America