Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plumerias: Cancun Pink

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 24, Views: 160
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 21, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6847344

This is an oldie but goodie from Mexico, I think. It has a light perfume but is a reliable bloomer and a good seedpod producer.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 23, 2009
1:55 AM

Post #6853196

Nice pic, have you seen any of it's progeny?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 24, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6860158

Thanks, Davie. No, I've never sown any of the seeds. The pod I had rotted in the winter weather. This variety is pretty common here in California though, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the ones being called 'Cancun Pink' are actually look-alike seedlings. C-Stars Nursery, a wholesale plumeria supplier here in Southern California, has growing fields in Mexico, and they renamed it 'Playful' for selling purposes.

I made the mistake once of buying about 20 unknowns from someone in Texas once for a relatively cheap price when I was first starting out with plumerias. Most of them ended up being 'Cancun Pink.'
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 28, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #6876319

If the Nursery knows it is called Cancun Pink it should stay Cancun Pink... we already have too many renames!
I think we all do that starting out just buy unknowns and wind up with many of the same thing...I know I did that too!
Davie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6876558

Totally agree, Davie. I think someone close to them talked to them about the naming problem, and they are trying to do better, but they have a few that they've renamed. For example, they're 'Lavender Splash' is 'Princess Victoria.'
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 28, 2009
8:25 PM

Post #6876628

purty...i want one!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6876768

Thanks, Dete! In my opinion, you already have this one! This is the same as your MVG pink;-)
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 28, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6876957

yeah, i remember you said that. but mvg never opens like that in arizona. i should get a cancun pink and see how it opens here. i only called it mvg pink because the label said pink. it should probably be mvg red. :D
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 28, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6877001

oh...i should have asked if you have any pics of cancun pink that are darker w/ less white.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 29, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6877599

Hi Dete, I think there is something about the leaves that are the same too, but I forget which characteristic it is now -- maybe the slender shape and pointy tips.

I don't think I have any pictures of 'Cancun Pink' that are darker. There isn't any white on the flower. Blooming above is the MVG pink that you sent me. I just called in 'Cancun Pink' for the purposes of this thread because, at least here, it looks the same as 'Cancun Pink' if that makes sense.

It does vary a bit in its blooming habit. Sometimes the flower petals spread farther apart.

Both your MVG Pink and Cancun Pink have a red star in the center of the yellow.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 29, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6877606

I guess there is some white when the flowers fade. This is the darkest picture that I have of 'Cancun Pink.'

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 29, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6877647

i'll have to check with kathy and see what hers is doing. oh, and i think davie has one, too. but he's just as hot as tucson if not hotter. LOL it could be heat related.
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 29, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6879722

I don't think I have that one Dete, forgive me but what does MVG stand for again?
I think the extreme heat we experience here in AZ really brings out the pink and red hues and intensifies other coloring. As an example I attached a picture of Tex Huestis(in Yuma), normally a white flower with a yellow center...here in the AZ heat not so much Link to the ad for the plumeria on Florida Colors website for comparison. http://www.floridacolors.com/Texas%20Huestis.htm

This is why you have to be careful buying Plumeria from a warmer are than your own, you may never see the same coloring as in pics shown from the warmer area.

Davie

Thumbnail by dbrooks

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 29, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6880500

oh, yeah. mvg stands for mesquite valley growers. it's tucson nursery.

guess that's one good reason to live in the heat! :D
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 29, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6880776

No I never got that one Dete.
Sometimes the heat distorts colors too much and I don't like the results. Penang Peach for example...I like it's colors much better in the spring than the heat of the summer. It is almost red in the summer in Yuma, I prefer the peachy orange yellow it is known for.
Davie
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 29, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6880916

yeah, that was the one i was trying to give you. :D i wanted to see how it blooms for others. the buds on this one is sparse. well, at least here in tucson since 2001. i am pleasantly surprised to see clare's inflo. i don't think kathy's has bloomed, yet. and one more person does have it. a co-worker here in tucson. it will be interesting if there is any variety from different sides of town. LOL
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 29, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6880948

My other 'Cancun Pink' tree has a big inflo on it so I can do some side-by-side comparison with leaves and flowers if I can find the time.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 29, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6880974

you don't have to do that clare. :D i would expect there to be some differences given our climates and growing methods. plus, your mvg is probably intimidated by all your other wonderful plants and has to perform to a higher standard than in arizona. LOL here at my house they know that they can get away with being underachievers by using the heat and lack of humidity as an excuse. haha!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 29, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #6880991

LOL! You're too funny, Dete!

Davie, I can't believe how different your 'Tex Huestis' looks. It was a yellow/white for me. I didn't keep it because I have too many other yellow/whites, and 'Tex Huestis' had a peach fragrance for me, which wasn't my favorite.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 29, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6881001

sometimes you have to LOL the pain away...
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 29, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6881474

Clare it is usally white and yellow here, this is what it looks like above 110, lower than that and it gets less and less colorful.
I remember now Dete, but I had too many pinks.
Davie
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 30, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6886227

Interesting. I think Cyndi Moragne is like that -- usually yellow and white, but some red pigmentation can come out with high heat.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 30, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6886366

this is a good lesson...
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 30, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6886368

this is a good lesson. all newbies need to see this.
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 31, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6887508

I have flowers that not only change colors but even change shape when it gets hot here...most would be surprised how many faces a plumeria can show from spring to fall here in the hotter parts of AZ, such as Phoenix, Yuma, and Tucson. You will even see variations betweeen those cities as the humidity levels and temps differ.
Davie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America