Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canadian Gardening: Mr'nMississauga meet Moose and Gnomely friends !

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 60, Views: 472
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
phfurballs
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6848352

Hope this works the way it's supposed to. Ok, now the lads have joined me in Mississauga, after a mysterious diversion into heaven knows where. So we came from the this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1006863/.
As I mentioned at the end of the last thread, we all went to Tim's for coffee with this afternoon with friends and had a fine time, though Bullwinkle behaved rather rudely. I will post pix soon as I find the gadget that allows me to download the flash card into the laptop. I will be at Canada's Wonderland on Thursday, so I hope they'll enjoy that, and I have a few other destinations in mind too, so I'll keep ya'll posted.
Karen
phfurballs
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6848414

I'm curious, who provided the clothes that came with the boys ? The little kilts are so cute and the toque, among the other things. Are we supposed to add to their wardrobe while they visit ?

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009 8:19 PM

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6848482

I started the coats. Got the fabric, etc., but they were awfully basic. Elaine (Procrastinator), I believe, finished them off and did the toques. Mrs Eastjack in NS made the kilts. You can add to their clothing if you wish, but it's certainly not necessary, particularly in the summer and especially now that they are outfitted. I just decided that since it snowed while I had them, maybe they needed coats or capes. I wouldn't encourage adding too much or we will need a bigger box - unless maybe they've already been packed into a bigger box. LOL
phfurballs
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6848740

Hard to tell about the box.. it's got an awful lot of big fat bubble wrap in it... it's about the size of a winter boot box.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6848965

I think someone may have decided a larger box was in order. With all those clothes, no wonder. LOL

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 22, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #6849725

Just so long as we don't need to send helpers to get them dressed every day lol -
that Would add weight and shipping costs!
phfurballs
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6857150

Still can't find that thing to download pictures with.. but I will. We had a nice trip to Canada's Wonderland today, and it stopped raining shortly after we arrived. I got pics of the lads in front of the gates and riding on my scooter, and in a couple of the park areas, but when I showed them the neat metal statue of the wild boar in front of the Wild Beast ride, they all panicked and tried to run ! It was quite a realistic wild boar ! The boys fell over each other, but Bullwinkle dove for the chain around the exhibit and managed to catch it and hang on. Fortunately, no one got hurt :). That moose is adventurous ! He also tried to climb a hedge in front of a garden exhibit, leaving his pals behind to watch as he climbed..I think their feelings may have been a little hurt. But all was forgiven in the end, and we even had sunshine by the end of the day and a quiet ride home. I promise pics are coming, even if I have to go buy a new gadget to download with...can't hurt to have a spare around anyway, right ?
phfurballs
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6857162

Did I post this new thread properly ? I see new posts on the old one still.. just wanted to make sure I got it done right.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

July 24, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6857206

I see you, so you posted it juuuuuuuuuust fine.
I didn't look - did you put this link on the old thread?
gillibean
Cardiff, ON
(Zone 4a)

July 24, 2009
5:56 AM

Post #6858193

I'm so glad they finally made it to you, I can't believe how long it took for them to get there I can't wait to see pictures. Canada's Wonderland sounds like so much fun. Sonora will be jealous, she's wanted to go there for a few years now.
phfurballs
Mississauga, ON
(Zone 6a)

July 24, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6859637

I'm afraid I wasn't overly impressed with Canada's Wonderland, though I have to qualify that by admitting I am not fond of thrill rides.. didn't like them even when I was a kid; I'm terrified of roller coasters. I'm allergic to 99% of the food available, which doesn't help. On the plus side, it's a great looking place.. wide paved walkways, very handy for someone on a scooter like myself, loads of nice shady wooded areas, I think many of them were preserved from the original land before the park was built. I remember the land before the park, I used to drive by it daily going to work. The tree lots are fenced off mostly but give a lovely cool feeling and a fresh smell to the air around them. There are garden areas with some sculptural pieces, and the fountains along International Street are really great with the waterfall at the end. It seemed very spacious to me, but then, there weren't a lot of people around, because it was a weekday and raining 'til about 2 pm. Pretty good music, though it blared everywhere a shade too loud for my tastes.. Oh dear, I must be getting old :-) ! Thanks to the rain and a thunderstorm warning, the water park was closed, & I was too tired to check out the performance at Arthur's Bay in the Medieval area when it was announced. Of course there is the Kingswood theatre venue, but no one was playing. Another thing I found a bit overpowering was the intense aroma of junk food everywhere. There are just so many snack places and restaurants, pumping out what I'm sure are meant to be yummy cooking odors. [ Oh my, I'm not only getting old, I'm getting dull too ! sigh.] I got a kick out of the look of one with vintage cars and a sort of '50's theme. My main reason for being at CW was a mystery shopping assignment I had in the park, but if you're craving a cotton candy sugar fix, or a $15. funnel cake piled high with ice cream and strawberry sauce, OR you're a thrill ride devotee, you'll be a very happy camper at CW, and kids will love it. I'm sure that the lads, adventurous types that they are, were disappointed not to get to go on any rides, but let's face it, nary a one o' 'em could have passed the height restrictions :-) !
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2009
3:27 PM

Post #6863322

Sounds like you're showing them a good time Karen - look forward to pics whenever you can manage! I've been there, with the lost cable thing ... eventually had to buy a new one. I'm sure the cats were involved somehow. :-)

Shannon

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #6883915

What's happening with the lads now? Have they gone on to their next host?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 1, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6894456

Have the boys been sent on?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6894467

Haven't heard a word.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6927930

HEY .. where are we with the Gnome travels?

Have they left Mississauga, or, did HAZEL McCallion steal them away LoL ??

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6928120

I have D-mailed phfurballs with no response. Did she go on vacation? They should have gone on to cybercrone in Toronto some time ago.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6930340

hmmmmmmmmmm
looking to hear soon, but will be MIA for a couple of days while mom is visiting ♪♫

~Susan~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 10, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6930954

Back from vacation myself...won't be long those 'sweeties' will be with me, bet they won't recognize the place with no snow...
echoes
South of Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2009
7:37 PM

Post #6931094

Betty, at the pace they are traveling, you could have snow again. I think they must be walking.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 10, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6931210

Oh no...don't tell me that...lol...if they arrived today they'd need a boat..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 10, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6931449

Gosh .. I so hope I get'em when things are a bloom .. but .. I guess I can go with the flow .. ^_^

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2009
10:49 PM

Post #6931823

Does anyone know where they are??????

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 10, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6931846

phfurballs had them last. As far as I know, they have not gone on to cybercrone - a distance that could easily be driven, but I've D-mailed both. I have a name and address for phfurballs but have been unsuccessful finding a phone number through Internet sources. I certainly hope that one or the other will respond soon as we'd sure like to get them out of Ontario before the snow flies.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6934267

yes... looks like there's more behind the scenes than we know of - I hate "lack of information". It makes me feel confused lol. As if I need more confusion LOL

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 11, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #6934964

I have always said that 'CONFUSION, is my permanent address' !!

Who's to say wherein lays the Mystery of the Gnomes ? Could be a health issue (one would hope not, but a consideration) .. vacation .. a Gnomenapping .. a myriad of possiblities kinda flutter around in my brain .. but .. I guess they are all moot because the boys, we think, are static at present ..

~M~

PS .. if anyone gets a ransome note from them .. I'll kick in a Loonie or 2 :o)
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6970681

Well we can always take 'snow' shots if need be! :-) Winter-interest landscaping, yeah, that's it...

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 21, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6970684

:-(
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 21, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6971746

It's got to be a case of gnome-knapping ... they are not the sort to run away.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6971766

I'm thinking you are SO right !! The boyz tend to be 'home bodies' .. always waiting for one of us to help them make their next move.
I am imagining all sorts of things, but keep thinking we may have to either visit a 'Gnome Orphanage' and pick up a couple of other gnomes, or, issue an 'Amber Alert' ... either way it looks as though we may be forced into a vote on the issue soon .. it has been almost one month since any contact with their last host.

Sigh ..

~M~
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6971894

Well hopefully everything's ok and there hasn't been a family emergency or something.

Maybe we'll have to start including our phone numbers via D-mail the next time we register to take the boys?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 21, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6971992

Sounds like a plan ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 21, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6972000

I sure am hoping..last time they were with me was Christmas...as I'll not have them for a summer visit, perhaps fall color tour would be nice..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 21, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6972164

I dislike this "not-knowing".
Don't know what to think - I'm Really hoping there are no family emergencies, but a "gnome-knapping" would be ... hmmmmmmmmmm
This would be the 2nd time gnomes disappeared, so maybe it's an idea whose time has come...and gone.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Susan
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6972426

I agree... too sad.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6972606

I'm hoping that the last person who had them is just on holidays. I've been able to ascertain that she tried to contact the person after her, but that person did not see the Dmail ( or mine) for some time. Perhaps it would be a good idea if I had your phone numbers on file if you wish to Dmail them to me. Am presently in Vancouver, but am hoping that this gets sorted out soon.

Ann
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
1:00 AM

Post #6974289

I'm going to relinquish my spot on the list, Ann. I don't want to keep them in Ontario any longer than necessary :-) Will continue to watch with interest though.

Shannon

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6974683

how sweet of you, Shannon - I don't think it's necessary though.
Whenever they emerge, they can stay in one spot when it becomes cold and the blooms are gone, then start again in the spring IF we find them.
Not to sound negative, but it Has been one month, no pictures, and no word.
I'm trying to be realistic. A previous gnome went missing, and with no word, I rather suspect they've gone. It would have been great to see their little costumes, after all the work that went into it.

It was a merry lark, but it looks to have gone sour...at least for me.

"take care little guys, wherever you are..."

~Susan~
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6974746

Part of the fun is the sustained interest in their journey ... too bad the journey now seems to be in limbo. I agree, it would have been nice to see their little outfits! :-)

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6974847

Shannon - there are several of us in the Ottawa area. I've already had them once and don't feel the need to have them or at least not for very long. But it seems to me maybe we could all get together and have lunch with them or something so that everyone is represented. We'll see when they actually surface.

I guess I wish that the person who presently has them would have contacted me if she had to go away.

Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2009
11:59 AM

Post #6975284

Sigh ... Speculation can be such a drag sometimes .. I SO want to err on the positive side .. that being the person who had the boys has gone away. That said though, I would have thought that they would let someone know about that. Having 3 'wardrobed Gnomes' in you care is not something that happens on a daily basis, especially with their history ^_^

I truly hope nothing bad has befallen the Mississagua hostess .. family or personal crisis etc. We can all pretty much relate to the turmoil that can put your life into.

I am ready for the Gnomes, whenever. The 'Round Up' in Ottawa sounds wonderful .. I hope it transpires if the boys appear.

Perhaps we sould give the last hostess another 2 weeks to allay our fears, or, reinforce our resolve to keep the trek alive ?

I am willing to purchase a Gnome to replace (that sounds horrid) one of the missing ones .. heck .. I'd even buy 2 ^_^

Guess it's a 'wait and see' proposition right now.

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6975720

We're having a Roundup in Calgary today. You reminded me, M, that it would have been nice (and easy, if they'd kept on track) for them to have been here for it... ah well...
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6975806

Ann, I've never had them but have tried twice and they've disappeared before getting here both times. :-) What I was really looking forward to was showing the boys a good time in my own particular corner of the city, figuratively speaking. Thanks for the offer though. Let's see if they ever turn up ...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6975959

I wonder if DG would help us contact the Mississauga hostess.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6976031

Now there's a thought!
I wonder...it would be nice if DG would. After all, she's signed up through to 2010, so she's still a member!
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
4:27 PM

Post #6976037

In a way I hope not ... or at least that they leave the initiative up to phfurballs whether to respond. We all rely on orgs like this to protect our privacy and respect our choices. I can understand the temptation though - this is a disappointing turn of events. To me it seems like it's really between us all as a group though, and unless it's a health or imminent danger issue or actual theft or trade gone bad, I'd be inclined to leave DG admin out of it and perhaps start a new batch of gnomes and keep an eye out for phfurballs in other postings so we can at least know she's ok. Maybe she took ill or something (heaven forbid). I knew someone who came down with Guillain-Barré syndrome and was paralyzed for months. Heaven forbid, of course, again. But we just never know. Thoughts?

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

August 22, 2009
6:10 PM

Post #6976295

Have heard it said .. " Hope for the best, but, prepare for the worst' .. so many 'things' could have transpired to have caused phurballs to be 'AWOL' ..
I do agree with protecting her privacy though .. ie .. not going to DG admin.

So .. I guess we wait ...

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6976590

Well, if we could get someone in the Toronto area to try to visit her ... ?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6977231

Only if her privacy isn't compromised ie: this is a person who knows her ph# and has met with her before.
Some people are shy and the only reason they talk so easily on the 'puter is because they aren't meeting people face-to-face. Although this isn't ME, I can appreciate that it IS some people and I wouldn't presume to visit her myself. She doesn't know me...

~Susan~
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2009
4:32 AM

Post #6978141

I don't know her at all, only the one D-mail, so I can't help.

I won't even be on-line here much as the next trip is scheduled for October and
there seems to be a ton of 'last minute' things all of a sudden that are making me frantic.

And if they land here after I leave, I won't be home until almost Christmas, so if there's any
contact, please ask that I be skipped.

I'd love to see the new wardrobe though. I'm even worse at sewing than at gardening, so
am mightily envious of you sewing gardeners out there.
~marilyn
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #7013821

I think it might be time to accept that they are gone on an incredible adventure that was out of our thoughts, plans and control. Maybe it's time to call up the siblings of the boys to continue their trip back west. ( thinking the idea of getting a new gnome as a sibling might do the trick) This plan would allow the original travelers to join the trip should they reappear.

That's my 2 cents worth.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7013890

It's OK with me. But maybe we should continue this discussion on the thread about their trip west - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/994770/

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

September 1, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #7014368

I'm confused ... the last post from the above link .. is July ... well whatever .. I am still GAME ..

I am more than willing to put a Gnome (or 2) in the post and send them on. As I am in the middle of Canada I can send them either way ..

Let the adventure begin (again) ^_^

~M~

This message was edited Sep 1, 2009 6:04 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 1, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #7014613

ok, if it's going to start from the next person who was supposed to have it and didn't get it, then I'm game, too.
I'll check out the post from July (?!) and we're continuing it from that one?

~Susan~
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #7036335

I've had to drop off the list since I'm doing stuff for my trip to Kenya in October.

Hm-m-m-m, if the boys did get here, I could make the space to take one of them . . .

But I won't be back until into December, so that won't work.

Anyway, I hope something breaks - that was a lot of fun.
~marilyn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #7078987

Since Dave and the lads seem to have disappeared, a new set of gnomes are about to start on their travels. They are now with Mona. See below for the correct link. Seems I copied the wrong one.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2009 9:43 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 19, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #7079372

The new thread, with Mona

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1039691/

~Susan~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #7094989

I Dmailed Dave, expressing my concerns about phfurballs and indicating when her last post was on this thread. The response from admin
[quote]Hi Ann,

I'm afraid that is about when everything stopped. I haven't had a log in since mid-July and it appears her last post was July 24. She renewed her subscription the 29th of June and it is good until 2010.

Unfortunately, we do not have real-life contact information here. We do sincerely hope that she is ok, but I just do not have any way of finding out.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do.

Happy Gardening,
melody[/quote]

I have no idea what happened to her, but I suspect she has become ill or something that has prevented her from using the computer.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 23, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #7095217

hmmmmmm but would that stop her from using Cda Post? Even if she was ill, surely someone would take the pkg to the post office.

Unless of course she's more seriously ill than that, but I don't want to "borrow trouble" so I won't say anything further.
spklatt
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #7095281

If she was seriously ill (god forbid, of course), I suspect she and her caregivers would have bigger fish to fry than finding a couple of little gnomes (assuming the caregivers were even aware of them), packaging them up and taking them to the post office. Having been unexpectedly and seriously laid up in the past, and having family members fly here to take care of me for several weeks, I can attest to that kind of situation. Concerned as we are about getting the boys back, I personally am fine with it as it just doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things - JMHO. I just hope she is ok!!

Shannon

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 23, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #7095294

Shannon - of course I figure if she's seriously ill, they couldn't care a fig about "toys". That's what I meant when I said I didn't want to "borrow trouble" for her. That being said, I'd rather we got on with the "fun" of the new boys "coming to a town near you", soon lol

Personally - what's past is past.
I wish only the best for phurballs, no matter what the circumstance ^_^
After all, we shared fun with her, and she welcomed us into her "puter" life.
It's like that email that goes around...something like "friends are in our life for a reason, season, or lifetime" I value all my friends online and otherwise, for how ever long they are there.

~Susan~

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America