Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beekeeping: "Bee"havior Q

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 8, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6848418

I was taking pics of bees on my sunflowers today. One bee was trying to collect pollen when another bee, that appeared to be the same species, was trying to do something else. I'm not sure what I was seeing. The 1st bee was on the flower, the second bee slammed hard into the other. It was there for, maybe, 2 seconds and flew off. The first bee postured with it's rear in the air for 2-3 more seconds and flew off. I was so shocked, I took no pics.

I waited a couple of minutes and the bees began doing it again and I was able to get a few shots.

Here's the kind of bees they were.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6848423

Here is the bee on bee.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6848425

The posturing.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 2, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6895972

I have no idea, but those are terrific pictures!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 2, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #6896576

Thanks, Porkpal. I try and sometimes I succeed.

I have seen this behavior on many flowers now that I've seen it once. Still don;t know what's going on. Maybe rival hives?
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

September 1, 2009
4:42 AM

Post #7011522

Thatís interesting the only thing I can think of is that because honey bee have such poor vision and forage by color and smell, It doesn't see the other bee because it blends in with flower and because its smell the nectar itís collected its keeps try to land on it as if it was the flower. Then realizes it not a flower. Anther thing is maybe it communicating with it, after all very little is know about the way they communicate. I would have to research this before I can really say . Nice picture you took.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #7012204

Thank you. It knew the other bee was there because it followed the other bee around. Communicating would be the logical answer but saying what? I still find bees from time to time doing this. It's interesting.
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

September 1, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #7012336

What you can do is contact one of the colleges and see if there is a entomologist there and see what he/she know about this behavior. Then post the reply it would be interesting to know.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #7012501

Good idea. We have a great university.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America