Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Saving Seeds: Saving Poppy seeds

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 8, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mnorberry
Arcata, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 22, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6849017

The last three years, I have tried to save Poppy seeds. Germination is low from the seeds that I saved last year and when I tried the seeds from previous years, no germination. If there is an expert who saves poppy seeds, can you tell me (1). How do you store the seeds to last several years (Refrig/Freeze??) or maybe you should save only the last year?
Thanks, Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbnail by mnorberry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2009
12:26 AM

Post #6852794

mnorberry is there any possibility that you're gathering your seed too early? I find it hard to understand their lack of viability because I actually have a problem with them reseeding too much! I let about a dozen of them go to seed the first year I planted them and just left the pods on the plants through the winter. The next year I had about 10 times as many plants and the year after that 10 times more. Now I have to take a very active roll in weeding them out in the spring or they'd completely take over the yard.

If you want to grow them in the same bed I'd suggest just leaving a few plants through the winter and letting them reseed themselves. Or in the very late fall break the pods from the plants and scatter them in the area you want them to grow. As far as storage I do believe that a lot of people (myself included) keep them in the fridge.

Hope that helps!
mnorberry
Arcata, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6853154

I wait until they turn dark on the stem, with little holes on top/side. When I collect the seeds, most of them are black, but I do notice a few that are red. I figure the red ones are not completely dried. What do you think?
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6853263

It sounds to me like they should be viable, so I'm kind of at a loss. Poppies don't like to be transplanted but they're pretty easy to germinate How are you sowing them? Just surface sowing?
mnorberry
Arcata, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 23, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6853573

Around late April when its starts to warm up, I just throw the seeds in a bed that I have just tilled. I make sure I don't plant to deep, just on the surface and pat them down. This year only 2 colors out of approx. 10 came up. Most of the seeds were from two years ago. I kept them in the refrig. I had some Pom Pom style Yellow, Apricot, and dark Purple/Black that did not come up, now I will have to find where I got them from to get more seed.
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6853742

I'm baffled mnorberry but I confess I'm no poppy expert. Have you tried asking on the poppy forum? Maybe some one there could better help you.

Good luck!
mnorberry
Arcata, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 24, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6857651

I didn't know there was a poppy forum. Thanks
CassysCorner
Salem, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2009
6:38 AM

Post #6989306

I had the same problem as mnorberry, in zone 8a NW Oregon where everything is supposed to grow. I sowed in March. Out of close to 100 seeds, I got 2 flowers! I wonder if poppy seeds need the cold of winter to help them germinate in the spring? Have you tried freezing your seed, then sowing them in late winter?
JonnaSudenius

(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #6991175

Poppies prefer cool climates and they need a cold period to germinate. Since you're in zone 8 and 9, try the following:
After harvesting the seeds, keep your well dried (dark brown) seeds in the freezer (between -4C and -18C) until you sow them outdoors just before the coldest part of the year.

Jonna

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America