-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6855460

The fan blade on our portable (set on cabinet) fan broke. The fan is in good condition and I hate to throw it in the landfill. Does anyone know where I could get a replaceable fan blade. I cannot find a brand on this fan anywhere unless it is inside the fan.
Can you direct me to any websites or give me any advice?
This may not be the right forum, so excuse me for stepping in for a minute.
If you reply, and if it's possible, send this to my email address.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 23, 2009
6:17 PM

Post #6855863

Is it plastic or metal? Got a picture you can post?
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 24, 2009
2:09 PM

Post #6858993

Also how many blades does it have?
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 28, 2009
3:08 AM

Post #6873864

It has 3 blue plastic blades. Perhaps I can get a family member to put a picture. I have had company this weekend and I'm just now getting back.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2009
5:45 AM

Post #6874307

I really don't have any idea where you might find a replacement blade other than maybe looking at yard sales for or thrift shops for one. I know that I sometimes find parts on used things from places like that. I found a switch for a set of nice hair clippers at a Salvation Army store on a set of clippers that were in not so good a shape but had a good switch. You may try that.

I asked about how many blades because if it has an even number, like 4 or 6 you can take off blades to compensate. I had a six bladed ceiling fan and one of the blade brackets broke. I removed that blade and the one opposite and it was still in balance although short of two blades. It still worked. That's all I have for so much said. Maybe Bubba has something. He's usually pretty innovative.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

July 28, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6875021

Thanks for the vote of confidence, DP, but there are so MANY plastic formulations, I'm cautious about recommending a suitable adhesive - maybe super glue?? and you would have to have all the parts; apply, allow to set, rebalance, then try it (hopefully caged) in case it breaks and flies apart.

You are correct about even number of blades being much easier to re-balance.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6875587

I wouldn't even attempt to glue it myself. As to replacing, without having a brand name to go by, the only suggestion I have, I've already made. Good luck birder17. And sorry for being little or no help. I do get the desire to not throw it out. I have a bin in my parts room for small electric motors, Ones with multiple speeds is often usable for other things, so at my house that's where it'd wind up. 'Course I'm the ultimate 'pack-rat' when it comes to things like that. LOL.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6887088

Well, thanks for responding. I have thought about looking for another fan at a garage sale etc. However, I could look for a long time and not find one. I wonder if there's a website I could look for such a thing. I know there's Craigs List and one called freecycle.com I think. We are located in a rural area which decreases the chance of someone seeing the want add. I guess I will try to look into that and then opt out for giving it to someone that could use the motor. We simply don't have the room to keep more things than we already have for "just in case" items. BTW, this fan blade was in one piece and shaped into three sections so I wasn't real clear on that.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America