Rayden rides the range

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have had my younger DGS with me for a month now and will have him for another 10 days. I will be so sad to see him leave. He is a handful but such a character. He has only ridden a horse the one time they came up for TG and then we just led him around. This time. we tacked up the awesome Max A Million and Rayden took a joyous solo ride for the first time in his life. He was as proud as the proverbial peacock. And Max was as good a gold. I was so busy videoing him this was the only still shot I got. You can take my word that he had a smile from ear to ear.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
South Hamilton, MA

Bless Max! It is so great to have a pony like that.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

As much as I have put into Shaq and I admire him and love him but Max is my heart.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

How awesome. You'd best post a link to the video~

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

How cool he could ride on his own! I take it he's been biten by 'the bug'.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

He asks to ride every time we go to the barn. I think he will get to ride again today if it doesn't rain.

Jenks,
I haven't uploaded the video to photobucket yet, but as soon as I get time I will and I'll post the link then. It is cute. He almost trots a couple of times. LOL

OMG. I know. I know! GAW! I almost galloped on KK yesterday and I was not happy at the lack of response as I'd switched to a full cheek broken snaffle from a d-ring (broken) but with a curb strap (getting confident?). Gaia's or Clinton's or what-ever old timer one rein stop was effective enough. Here I am slowing after a loud Woah - not HO or he stops on a dime - but this? Yikes. The picture made me cringe. Must work harder on my riding and less on the ground work.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2009 8:09 PM

Thumbnail by Jenks

Better after? We did canter again briefly around the front with no bucking or anything!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2009 7:42 PM

Thumbnail by Jenks
South Hamilton, MA

Helmet please Jenks, especially if he bucks.

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7a)

NOICE!!!!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

helmet is always a good idea. Snaffles don't require a curb strap.

Richmond, TX

A curb strap on a snaffle can keep it from being pulled through the mouth on a green horse. Racehorses routinely have curb straps on their snaffles. It has no "curb" effect.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Do you always ride with your stirrups that high or is it just the camera angle? Looks a bit short. I know you have long legs.

Naw, It's my neighbors' saddle she doesn't use anymore and they were too high, I just was anxious to get going. I lowered them 2 holes when I was cleaning the saddle afterward. But it fits him! Yes helmet, also forgot splint boots.

Khaos has been known to get his tongue over, but I had no idea that's why they recommended and had me ride with the strap! They just emphasized to me getting the bit high enough to put a wrinkle on his mouth because of it.

South Hamilton, MA

He seems to be willing, just green.

Yeah, and when I first queue the canter, he almost always has a little hump in his back the first few strides (lil buck?). Never did it to me at the barn, but I've got to ride him more. Once a week I think is not keeping him straight.

So Caj, where's the video?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

How old is he? 3? 4?
Once a week is definitely not enough to keep his mind active... nope. IMHO...
I'd think more 3 days straight (of unequal times & varying activities) riding, then 4 off, then repeat.

He's 3.5 ish. Will be 4 in Jan of 10. That's weird to say.... I'll try it Fri, Sat, & Sun. See how he is...

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I think just one day a week would get his brain started, but never reinforced.

Good luck!!! :)

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I hope this is right. I haven't done this in a while.

http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/cajuninky2/?action=view¤t=RaysVisit076.flv

This message was edited Jul 29, 2009 1:17 AM

South Hamilton, MA

Max is certainly patient. I know that he doesn't realize what a thrill he is giving his rider.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Awesome video. He was definitly having fun. Max is the best!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Now you see why I call him Max A Million! LOL Ray will never forget his first ride. I know Max is toatally trust worthy so while Ray was riding I was in the barn working. He was by himself with Max going up and down the road. I'm sure that feeling of riding by himself was awesome for him.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

He's worth a Million!

That pony is priceless...

How's Knock?

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

pulling on my suspenders, and rocking on my heels, and chewing on a piece of hay...... remembering the good 'ole days'......

way back when, when I owned my young horses, we would drive the 2 year olds 5 out of 7 days.......

Calculated like this: if in the immediate past 6 days (excluding today, the 7th) has the horse worked 5 of them.... if the answer is yes, then today is optional....

the last 6 days could be: off, work, work, work, off, work..... So today could be optional, work or not, depending on other factors. weather, timing, upcoming week plans etc.... for fun, let's take today off.....SO....

then tomorrow's 6days would then be: work, work, work, off, work, off, since there are only 4 work days in the last 6, today SHOULD be a work day. The work would vary, between in the arena, and out in the field and down the roads.....

The actual driving might only be for half hour-45 mins. but there's constantly training going on... learning to stand alone, untied, harnessed, quietly waiting for hitch/unhitch.....

Cajun, I'd give my eyeteeth for a pony like Max.... he's worth his weight in gold!

My problem is finding time during MY work days. Between 2 kids and if you count the DH, 3? Plus work....I don't know what I'm doing with 4 horses and not enough time to ride even 1. BUT, I will have to figure it out. Get up early and ride in the dark, feed early and ride in the dark, feed late and ride before feeding (will be dark come winter).

SO.

I think I need the DH to put me up some lights?

I rode KK this morning. Went brain dead again and forgot my helmet. Went to canter and thought, "CRUD" my flipping helmet is in the house. I am going to buy a storage bin (leaving in just a minute) so I can leave it in the barn and keep it clean at the same time. Then I can always grab it even if I'm up. Off work today to register the kids for school. YAY!

Now might be the perfect time to find a pony like Max...

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

You could get the kids involved that way and get your time in.

Heh....the kids are how I got back into horses! NOw they've lost interest, well, my DD is 10 and is coming back around...I DO try.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images