Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Zone Gardening: Fragrance!

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 25, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6861584

Oh, Lord, they enchant me. they make me stop and BREATHE, my lungs could never satisfy my - - -

my

my

nose? Oleofacktories. No poet, me.

There is a bushy bushy ? lily of some sort. Petals, long and strappy, look like they've been eaten to nothing but spines. and you'll have yellow pollen all over your face from sniffing.

Delicious. Enchanting.

Oh.
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

July 25, 2009
8:41 AM

Post #6862582

You're a better poet than i am! i like fragarent flowers as well, my favorite is Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow. are you familiar with it?
westraad

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 25, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6863667

Are you talking about Crinum?
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 25, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6864878

Yes, it's a crinum, thanks. I didn't find a photo of this particular kind. Guess I'll have to drag out the camera, if anyone's interested. Thess crinums are very common all over this island.

Yesterday, today and tomorrow is a tree here, with hibiscus type flowers White in the morning, to yellow, to red in the evening. I haven't noticed if it's fragrant...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

July 26, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6865016

We have two species of Crinum here but I've never sniffed them out. I'll have to remember to try it when their flowering season starts.

Metrosideros

Metrosideros
Keaau, HI

July 26, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6865029

If the flowers are a spider type, and fall over as they grow up out of the plant, it is probably Crinum augustum; if the flowers stand straight up as they mature it is probably Crinum asiaticum,/i>.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 26, 2009
11:27 AM

Post #6866341

lol, I'll choose augustum, because my mother's middle name was Augusta. And I think that's the correct name anyway, they're quite floppy.

A dangerous flower to sniff, you get yellow pollen all over your face!
westraad
Xai Xai
Mozambique

July 26, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #6866350

there are different types of Yesterday, today, and tomorrows, the one i am talking about is Brunfelsia grandiflora, very beautiful and extremely fragrant. you can smell it from far away. its flowers open the first day dark purple, the second day they are a light purple, and the third and last day they are white. its so beautiful, this multicolored bush! i have two in my garden.
westraad
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 27, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6868846

Eeeek!! In the Solanaceae family! Deadly, my tongue, then my throat would swell, and I'd choke to death, no joke! My sensitivity to nightshades has become ridiculous. I sniff nothing that I do not know absolutely for sure that is not a night shade.

Sheesh, used to be just tomatoes, peppers and potatoes. But I lived someplace that had a tree that had blooms constantly. and they smelled like Lilacs, which I miss. I got sicker and sicker, bummer.

Owell!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America