Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: Camelia - is it dead?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 7, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Shannon
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2001
12:32 PM

Post #1541

I planted a lovely Camelia last spring. It bloomed for a while and stayed green until fall. Then its leaves turned completely brown. I can easy break off a stem, so I think it is dead. Should I get rid of it, or should I give it a chance to come back this spring? I think it was supposed to be evergreen. Thanks for any advice!

Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2001
4:32 PM

Post #53209

Hi SHannon,

THe stem you broke could be a dead stem, go lower on the trunk and scape the bark. If you see green, then it is still alive.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2001
8:41 PM

Post #53259

Shannon - Where did you plant it? If it was a new plant then it could have taken a knock from the unusually cold winter we are having in the southeast. It needs to be protected from cold north winds. I agree with Tim, leave it be for now and see if it recovers.
michele5000
Joshua Tree, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2001
11:46 PM

Post #53541

I always prune until I see green. Then mulch heavily, and water when it is warm, wait.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2001
1:03 AM

Post #53551

Michelle, Yes camellias are evergreen. I had a lovely one in my last garden. It was planted near my deck and caught the morning sun. We had a really bad storm with icy winds and the leaves of the plant went brown. I left it alone and it did recover. Wind definitely browns the leaves. Have you had bad weather? - I think you did if I remember correctly.
Shannon
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2001
5:17 PM

Post #53682

Yes, Louisa, we have had some really cold weather this winter. You give me hope. I will leave it alone and hope that it comes back. Thanks everyone!
MarthaAnnD
Ocklawaha, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2001
2:51 AM

Post #53946

I had the same problem with a camelia...but it was dead. I have REALLY bad luck with them! A friend of mine worked for a "Woody ornamental Nursery", and she GAVE me two Camelias, one fushia and the other was called Elizabeth ARden (pink and white striped). They were both in HUGE pots, and I priced them at the garden center, $80 each...I killed the fushia, which was my favorite, and had to leave the other one when I sold my home. I think they are pretty, but so far, I have killed about five of them. I managed to save a few when I moved them next to the house. I think they are happy...for now. If you have any great secrets...tell me before I kill the two I have left!(PS..the lady who bought my house owes me money...should I reposess the plant???) YOU LOL! I AM SERIOUS!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2001
1:20 PM

Post #53997

Yes, go and dig up that beauty!! The new owners of my house have already allowed the garden to go to the dogs. She has been in touch with me for little things and I asked her how the 'red camelia' was doing (just outside the breakfast nook) - her reply "what red flower"? The shrub is about 6 feet tall - I rest my case! I am going back to the house to take cuttings (with her permission) but feel like digging up the whole yard. It really is sad, don't you think?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America