-
AuthorContent
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

July 26, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6867268

What survives and pretty much thrives in the worst drought? We're in Exceptional Drought, pretty much in some stage of drought since 2006. What I can think of offhand are plants like Esperanza, Cenizo, Mexican Firebush, Woolly Ironweed, Lace Cactus, Red Yucca, Desert Willow, Anacacho Orchid Tree, Four-nerve Daisy and gayfeather. But even some of my most reliable plants are going dormant in some form, some just not blooming or growing at all unless they get rain for a while, assuming they are not watered.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 28, 2009
6:21 PM

Post #6876179

My new best friends are dragon fruit. A lot of the epis (see the Cactus Flower Forum) seem to survive with minimal water. I have two small plants I got at a plant depot place about a yeqr ago and they are hanging in with only occasional water.

Plumerias also hold up well with little water. My tulsi basil thrives and reseeds itself.

Do you have freezes where you are? That would make a difference.

Also, you might check out the self-contained box garden forum You can make an Earthbox-like container for less than $5.00

katiebear in the Baja desert
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6877935

Yes, it does freeze here...we live in the hills, so winter can be pretty cold. The last couple of years we haven't had anything below 20, but some years it gets lower. I've heard of earth-boxes, but don't know anything about them really. How are they used in drought areas? Some of the local native plants are pretty tough, and I do like the natives.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 29, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6877980

You can read about the earthboxxes at http://www.earthbox.com and also on the self-contained box garden forum.

They can be very good for growiing vegetables in a drougt area as they conserve water.

There are several people from Texas on the box garden forum.

katiebear
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #6880786

Thanks for the info!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America