Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plumerias: Finally...

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 32, Views: 233
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2009
4:53 AM

Post #6869804

I can begin to enjoy my plumies! Clockwise from top, California Sunset, no-name yellow from a co-op, Brad's White.

Thumbnail by KaperC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 27, 2009
10:17 AM

Post #6870118

Very nice! I'll venture a guess that your no-name might be Aztec Gold. It should have a peachy smell.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

July 27, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6870434

Very nice well worth waiting for !
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6871385

Hmmm, I'm not sure about the scent, Hetty; it is nice but not very strong and my 'smeller' is limited due to allergies. I'll just have to keep sticking my nose in there - what a chore! LOL

Kathleen
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6871525

Beautiful, Kathleen! Congrats on all the lovely flowers. I got some no-name yellows from the co-op too for root stock, and a couple have bloomed for me, and Hetty is right that they are 'Aztec Gold.'

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6871542

Kathleen, are you sure that that's a 'Brad's White'? I think his flowers have more of a point to the petals:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6871558

As sure as I can be, Clare. I tagged them when I potted them. The flowers are very stunted, though. I have another one that is creeping through the 'claw' stage and doesn't even have leaves yet. They have been treated the same as all the others, which are leafing out fine, so I don't understand the problem.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6871614

Hmmm. Well, just give it some time and lots of bottom heat and full sun. Maybe there was a root problem in the winter, and you lost some roots? As long as the stems look healthy, I wouldn't disturb them to check the roots for now. Give it a little more time. It might be re-rooting at the same time it is flowering, which would explain the stunting and lack of leaves.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 27, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6871668

Peaches! I smell peaches! I always wanted an Aztec Gold. :-)
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

July 28, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6873605

Good going Sis!! Very pretty.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

July 28, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6875773

Yipppeeee, Kathleen, isn't it a beauty? Mine doesn't have a very strong fragrance, does yours?
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6876095

No, not real strong at all. One day I can smell it, the next day maybe not - a lot of that is my stuffy nose, though.
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

July 28, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6876196

Exactly, I don't think it's your nose...unless we have the same noses!!!!!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6876345

I was out with some friends recently at a herb nursery and we found this beautiful scented geranium called Wytchwood. I bought it for the flowers, but they both kept raving about the strong scent. I couldn't smell a thing. I can smell some things, I guess, and not others at all. Wish I could block out allyssum and stargazer lilies!! LOL

One of the reasons I love Plumeria is I can bury my nose in the flower, drink in the scent, and it doesn't make me sneeze or give me a headache!
Aschnapp
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

July 29, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #6879622

I find all of this so fascinating. I just started growing pulmerias and none of them have flowers. I have one called Christine B that I got from Stoke's (probably pay too much) but it was all leafed out. I have no idea what to look for in flowering. Bottom leaves (3) have dropped off,but I know that is not a problem. I have four others from Thailand that I bought on eBay - Pink Pansy, Moonlight, Pretty in Pink. Was looking at Moonlight and the others were part of the package. These have all rooted and I see new growth.

Watering to me is the issue. I know not to overwater them and I water them about every 3 days. It can be so hot here that I worry about not watering them.

Any advice you can give me, I will certainly appreciate. I am in zone 9 but zone 8 is not too far. It is warmer here because of the thermal effect from the ocean.

Cheers and thanks. Andrea
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 29, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6879911

If your potting mix is draining freely I think you should be watering a lot more often, Andrea. We're in 80-90 range and I water at least every other day. They want water and heat to grow. Also, have you fed them with a 10-10-10 fertilizer? I'm sure experts will pop in here, but those are the first things that come to mind.

Kathleen
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 29, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6880195

Very nice blooms Kathleen!
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6880510

Andrea, I only water about every three days myself. I think we have more ambient humidity than California so our plants don't dry out so badly.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 29, 2009
5:50 PM

Post #6880596

See? I knew somebody smarter would correct me. It's very dry here, of course, and I wasn't thinking of humidity (what's that?). :-)

Thanks, Davie!
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6880602

Humidity is that stuff that makes you sweat before it's 8.30 am... :-)
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 29, 2009
5:54 PM

Post #6880607

OOOOOHHHH, THAT stuff!

Edited to add: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1020821/

What a timely post. I will never, ever comment on watering plants in FL again. LOL

This message was edited Jul 29, 2009 10:55 AM
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 29, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6880747

Hetty it doesnt take humidity to sweet before 830 am, our heat does the same thing...it was 86 at my house at sun up this am...but we are finally we are break today...going to be 111 and 109 tomorrow, much better than the 114-116 it's been!
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6880885

How can you even tell the difference between 114 and 111?
At least we never get those extreme temperatures. 95 is just about our max. Oh, but MUGGY...
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

July 29, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6880909

Sis...hail in FL?, in JULY? Unbelievable!
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 29, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6881873

I can tell a difference between 105 and 110, and difference between 110 and 115...but after 115 it's just h.ll.
Davie
Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

July 30, 2009
3:17 AM

Post #6883138

Well said!! Hot is Hot. But I have to say 106 is worse than 90.
Aschnapp
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

July 30, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6884839

Okay, we all agree it is hot. What about the rest of my post? Have any of you heard of my cultivars? Do you think of any of these will flower this summer? I have them in containers and I read that they do better in the ground - will mine flower in containers?

The humidity yesterday was just unbearable - humidity was higher than the temperature!
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 30, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6884951

Have you fed them?
josegabriele
Baton Rouge, LA

July 30, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6885024

How long have you had your plumerias? How big (tall) are they? If you just got them recently, it may take a while for them to flower. Are they a single stem plant or have they branched? If the branches are short, they may not flower for a while. Infllos form on the tips of mature branches - usually a foot or longer.

If you rooted plants this year, they may not bloom this year. It takes a while for them to develop a good root mass and establish themselves. I have waited two years for cuttings to bloom. I am not familiar with your plants, but some plumerias bloom more freely whereas some are reluctant bloomers.

They will flower in pots if they receive adequate water and nutrients. If your soil drains well, when you water, water until the water runs out of the pot and then water again when the soil dries out. Sometimes I have to water every day if it is hot and dry. Established plants need water; however, they don't like to sit in it.

Makes sure your pots are large enough for the roots to develop and provide your plants with a balanced fertilizer.

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 30, 2009
9:16 PM

Post #6886182

Andrea, you may want to start a new thread with your questions since this thread belongs to Kathleen, but to answer your questions:

Yes, if your cuttings were taken from flowering trees, they can flower right away, no matter what size the branches are. They will definitely flower in containers provided all their needs are met: full sun, plenty of water and fertilizer, etc.

Water when the top of the soil looks dry.

You will need to keep your plumerias in containers since it freezes in the winter in your area. They are tropical trees so you will need to protect them from frost and freezing temps.

Buying from Ebay is very risky and tricky since you never know what you're going to get unless you buy from a well-known reputable source. I highly recommend Florida Colors Nursery to you in the future for reasonably priced plumerias, including several of the ones that you purchased and including Thai cultivars: http://www.floridacolors.com/

Here is the article that I wrote on plumeria care: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/45/ if you are interested.

Kathleen is right: now that your plumerias are rooted, give them a dose of a balanced fertilizer.

This is one of my very first plumerias. I kept it in a container for about five years before transplanting it into the ground. It blooms reliably every year.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Aschnapp
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

July 31, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6889054

I apologize for getting into Kathleen's blog. I am not very savvy to blogs and don't really know how they work and I didn't realize what I was doing. But I guess if I have questions I should start my own - I will have to find out how to do that. I also don't know how to import photos onto the blog either.

Thanks for all your help. I have been doing everything right and I have read all the articles on plumerias. I have one that is a double stem and is growing new leaves and looks very healthy, but the other four are just singles with new leaves emerging. They sound like rugged plants and seem to be able to handled anything BUT frost. Moving from St. Louis and leaving my favorites behind is a disappointment , but discovering new plants is an adventure for me.

Thanks again everyone! Andrea

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

July 31, 2009
3:04 PM

Post #6889322

Well, Andrea, now is where the patience come in. :-) Some of us - like ME! - have to wait and wait and wait.

You can get some questions about using DG here: http://davesgarden.com/faq/home/
There is also a Test forum where you can practice uploading photos, etc. Have a gander at the list of forums and you will find others that might help.
You are always welcome to ask a question on a thread someone else has started - just know that will get better responses if you start your own.

Welcome and enjoy your new adventure - I'm sure you can grow a lot of nice things in FL.

Kathleen
josegabriele
Baton Rouge, LA

July 31, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6889532

When you post a reply. notice the box below that says "Image" over it and click the Browse button and go to the folder in which your photos are stored. Click the photo you want to attach to your response and click open. It will load your photo.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America