Mid Summer Roses Calgary

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A few weeks of nice warm weather and the roses are really loving it. Here's Hot Cocoa

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pretty Folklore

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bought this rose in April, potted & leafed out. Has been blooming non-stop for over a month. Burgundy Iceburg

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

lovely

Calgary, Canada

Are any of those hardy? Or will you be mounding them up and protecting them for winter?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Those are a zone 4 or 5, so yes I do mound peat moss around them for the winter.

South of Winnipeg, MB(Zone 3a)

Roses sure do well for you. I have restricted myself to the hardiest types of roses. I just don't have time to prepare the tender ones for winter anymore. This spring I had a lot of cane die back, and then the little wasp larvae did their evil on them, before I got to the spray. I sure am appreciating the ones that are blooming now. Most of them were a bit later this year. Do you have Banshee? I could send you a nice sucker of that one. Blooms on old wood.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks everyone.

Here's Bride's Dream a very tall Hybrid Tea with huge flowers

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Echos, I'm not familiar with Banshee. Do you think the canes will be winter-hardy here? I have trouble getting the Nelly Moser Clematis to bloom here for that reason

Here is Gertrude Jekyll, very fragrant

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Orange Velvet

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Black Bacarra

I don't know about Banshee always being winter hardy in Calgary. It is a beautiful pink rose, but needs a bit of room. Would be great at your farm. I didn't get any bloom this year because the canes all died back to the ground. We had a winter that took a lot of perennials and a lot of things were very late showing up.

I have bought roses from Sheila Holmes at Rocky Mountain house. She sells Robert Erskine roses and a few others that he grew and liked. Some of these bloom on last years canes. If they can grow them there, you should be able to grow them and have them bloom most years. I think Banshee is about as hardy as most of those. I bought it in Morden and I know other people that grow it in Manitoba.

Black Bacarra is one I would sure love in my garden. Will have to just enjoy it through your photos.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nice photos Jo. I take it you got a bit of rain this morning, eh? Us too, though not enough yet.

Joanne

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Just a sprinkle. Thought it would have rained more.

I take that's a "no thanks" then...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh, sorry echoes, but yes I have crammed everything I possibly can in my city yard and unfortunately the farm is Zone 1A eeek

I bought a few more roses lately. Yesterday I got two OSO Easy roses. Peachy Cream and Paprika. Have tyou tried any of these?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I seen some of those. Don't have any, so you will have to let us know how they pull thru the winter.

For sure. I won't lose more than a few bucks if they don't make it, but I really like the Peachy Dream, so maybe I should protect it a little.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I find that mounding peat moss about 8 - 12" works best. You will find the canes will stay green under the peat moss. In the spring, when the days start getting warm and temps are consistently warmer than -10ºC, start pulling the peat moss off in stages. Otherwise you will get weak shoots under the peatmoss since it really heats up.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Get a load out of this. Very weird. My Gertrude Jekyll is now 8 feet tall and has bloom continuous all summer. I had to measure it since it has never gone past 4 feet in six years. Also in past years it would have the 1st big flush of blooms and hardly anything after that flush.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

If you are interested, I have a thread of Late August Blooms in the Rose Forum
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1030578/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

More added to the above link

and a whole bunch with orange tones
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037205/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.