Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and out: Question about outdoor ficus

Communities > Forums > Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and out
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and outReplies: 2, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
watsuwendy
Oxnard, CA

July 27, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6871319

Thanks for the article. The one picture of all the roots gave me a scare.

Is there a way to be sure mine don't get too overgrown for the location?

I have 2 that I planted about 3-4 months ago in bottomless planters. I think my yard is too small to get huge plants like I saw there.
Thanks,
Wendy
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6871754

I recall back in the early 90's on a visit seeing some ficus trees in LA, perhaps the Hollywood area - the streets had names of trees. Each street was lined with that type of tree. The gigantic size of the trees on Ficus Lane blew me away. Never knew they could get 30-50 feet tall. Not knowing much about them back then, I thought they were just decorative container types...

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #6874088

They have pretty aggressive and invasive roots, but they can be cut back or pruned fairly easily (just need an axe or saw)... and they aren't as bad/strong as many other commonly planted street trees as far as lifting up concrete sidewalks go.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and out Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you, soive2000 1 Jul 27, 2009 1:04 PM
The ficus article Plantman88 0 Jul 27, 2009 1:33 PM
Ficus care - good advice chuck7701 12 Aug 1, 2009 2:26 AM
Ficus livablelandscap 0 Jul 27, 2009 3:25 PM
Ficus benjamina casadeluna 0 Jul 27, 2009 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America