Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and out: Menace in Florida

Communities > Forums > Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and out
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and outReplies: 3, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ptooming
Titusville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6871337

In some Florida Counties you will be fined severly for having one planted in your yard.
They like to tap into the water reservoir, water pipes, pools, sprinkler pipes, septic tanks and pipes and are very thirsty.
many people pay alot of money to have the roots removed from there sewer lines where the roots are coming up threw the tiolets and blocking up the whole mess. It is not till you start a big job of plunging you start to see roots and leaves and dirt come up, then the bills start to mount, best to keep them in a pot well contained.
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6871713

They can be considered invasive in tropical areas...
blueboys
Perth
Australia

April 21, 2010
12:57 AM

Post #7723194

Do the roots the verigated weeping ficus bengimina travel quickly and invade as the ones mentioned in your message.

I have planted one in my front lawn

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2010
1:07 AM

Post #7723203

I would assume they would be similar, but I have not seen any banyan variegated trees... perhaps there is a good reason for that... but I don't know

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and out Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you, soive2000 1 Jul 27, 2009 1:04 PM
The ficus article Plantman88 0 Jul 27, 2009 1:33 PM
Ficus care - good advice chuck7701 12 Aug 1, 2009 2:26 AM
Ficus livablelandscap 0 Jul 27, 2009 3:25 PM
Ficus benjamina casadeluna 0 Jul 27, 2009 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America