Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and out: An Inside Ficus Story

Communities > Forums > Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and out
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and outReplies: 0, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eskarp
Albuquerque, NM

July 27, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6871839

I had one years ago that throve, which is amazing since I normally kill houseplants in short order. My ficus seemed to survive on benign neglect, perhaps aided by a lucky placement inside my house. I put the baby tree, an ill-advised present from a relative, in my large living room window (which faced west---not good probably) but behind a bamboo split shade so it got filtered light all day long. My son and I mostly hung out in the back of the house, so the front was kept a fairly even temperature most of the time. We lived in Calif.'s Bay Area so it only got really hot maybe one or two weeks a year. I DID have to walk by the plant twice a day which reminded me to water the poor thing sometimes but since I've been known to parch cactus, overwatering was not likely to happen.

The tree kept expanding. Eventually it lived in a 1/2 whiskey barrel and hit and then bent over on my 8' ceilings. When I moved, a friend refused to let me just abandon the plant. It's still surviving on her west-facing porch behind a rampant trumpet vine, which both shelters the ficus from hot, late afternoon sun, and protects it somewhat---I think---from drafts. She lives in a "banana-belt" part of town where the morning fog is not an issue.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Weeping Fig, Ficus benjamina- indoor and out Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you, soive2000 1 Jul 27, 2009 1:04 PM
The ficus article Plantman88 0 Jul 27, 2009 1:33 PM
Ficus care - good advice chuck7701 12 Aug 1, 2009 2:26 AM
Ficus livablelandscap 0 Jul 27, 2009 3:25 PM
Ficus benjamina casadeluna 0 Jul 27, 2009 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America