Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Pushki: Another great lesson!

Communities > Forums > Article: Pushki
bookmark
Forum: Article: PushkiReplies: 18, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

July 28, 2009
7:26 AM

Post #6874418

Sharon, thank you for another good lesson on medicinal plants! It's a pitty the plant is endangered in your state. I'm curious if we have it here... going to google it and see!
Hugs,
Adina
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

July 28, 2009
11:34 AM

Post #6874643

Another plant I'm not familiar with or if I am, I've lost the memory. I'll be on the lookout, though, for this plant next time I go to my beloved mountains!

Angie
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

July 28, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #6874721

Loved it!
I think I noticed some of this growing alongside the roads here. I wonder what the seeds look like, I'd like to get some.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #6874787

A great article as always..love it Sharon!

I will be looking for it too now!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6875144

Good morning, ladies,
Thank you. The plant is prettiest in its rosette stage, just before it blooms. That's what I noticed most about it when I was in Alaska, those gorgeous rosettes.

I haven't seen it here in western KY, but then I haven't roamed down in the Land Between the Lakes at the right time either. I was looking for it in June, which is when I found it in Alaska, and probably should be looking in May for the rosettes.

Maybe next year. Joyce, if I find any seeds, I'll share with you.

I think if I made a trip back to the mountains, I might be able to find them, I just have not seen them here.

Again, thanks for writing, and Adina...let me know if you find it there.

What about you, Nanny...you are a little cooler than here, have you seen it?

And Angie, yes, I think if it is to be found there, it would be in the mountains.

You all have a good day, we are getting a little bit of rain!!! YES!

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6875173

Excellent article
You are so creative with words and your childhood memories are so precious.
I lived in AK for 9 years and they are monsters there as well as here in Oregon.

Thanks for the memorable article
Kin
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6875197

Kin, my great photographer friend! Thank you.

When you are out and about with your camera, I'd love to have a better picture of them in bloom. I never got to see them blooming when I was there, and had to borrow the photo from Weezingreens, so maybe you might have one.

How's your weather there? I was talking with my friend Mary, who lives in Baker, OR, last night, and she tells me the grasshoppers are doing major damage right now. I don't think I have seen a grasshopper this year. She also seems to be doing a lot of watering now, too. She also said the climate on one side of the mountains is very different from the other side. So which side of the mountains are you on?

It is always good to hear from you. Thank you.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6875225

Also, Kin, I failed to thank you for the use of your leaf photo.
Folks, when I can't find a photo of a plant that I need, I always know I can go to Kin for help.
Thank you.

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6875321

You are always too kind and I Thank you Kindly
Well, the weather is HOT and I'm watering in between viewing DG and installing a window air conditioner! Gotta keep the plants happy and the indoors somewhat cool. I live in the western part of Oregon Salem in fact the State Capitol.

I do have a photo of the blooms somewhere in my archive and will need to look for them. When I get a chance I will send it out to you or post it here also.

Weather here 98 on Sunday 103 on Monday and the next two days it's gonna be 105
NOT NORMAL FOR HERE

Time to get busy with the watering and finish the installation of the life saver.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6875521

As always, your way with word puts me right in the middle of your adventure. In my senior years I have developed a skin irritation to almost everything. Bummer! Spent years hiking and never was bothered. Now I can't even harvest the okra myself without breaking out. With your fair skin, Aunt Bett must have kept you covered head to toe.

Christi

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 28, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6875536

I don't recall seeing it...but heck I may have and not known it!! I will have to take notice better next year! I do remember seeing big leaves like that somewhere...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6875548

Hi Christi,
I don't know, but never was bothered with many skin allergies, but now I do get some irritation from wandering around in weeds. Not bad.

They did make an attempt to keep me covered from head to toe, it never worked. I left bits and pieces of clothes all over the mountains, but most of the time I was covered in some kind of salve or lotion.

I probably stunk to high heaven, too.
Good to see you, thanks.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6875555

Nanny, it's the rosettes you'd notice, I think...and the season is a little late for them now. Kin might find some photos for us, I think he's going to be on the lookout.
zhinusmom
(Trisha) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6876736

Wonderful as always, will have to look for this one around here...high 90's and into the 100's here this week also...not normal and not fun!!! Drip, drip...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6876755

Sorry Trisha, maybe you can find one of those misting fans, little hand held battery things that sprays you with a flick of the little trigger, along with a constant fanning breeze.

It's for sure you would not like KY in the summertime!

GardenGuyKin

GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6877770

Well we hit a new record High today 107!!
Sharon, I just don't seem to be finding any of the photos.
So Sorry

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6877926

That's OK, Kin, you will run across them some day and remember.

Whewwwww! 107 is toooo hot!
Drink lots of cold wet stuff, you are going to need it.

Thanks for searching.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6878207

This is another plant that I have never noticed so I have no idea if it grew anywhere I have ever lived or traveled. I know for sure I have never seen it bloom as I am always interested in blooms on plants and I don't think I would have missed noticing those. Great article as always. Keep up the good work. I am a devoted fan of your articles.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6878262

Thank you Elena,
it is always so nice to hear from you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pushki Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
cow parsnip daphnep 1 Jul 28, 2009 2:12 PM
Nice Article Old Memorys phicks 1 Jul 28, 2009 9:56 PM
old plant is new to me Dollykat 3 Jul 28, 2009 6:53 PM
Wonderful.... Chantell 1 Jul 28, 2009 6:13 PM
Pushkis.... Gitagal 1 Jul 29, 2009 12:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America