Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Organic Gardening: Tilling leaves into my Indiana organic garden

Communities > Forums > Organic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Organic GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
notlazy
Danville, IN

July 28, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6874926

I remember reading some years ago that when tilling shreaded leaves into the soil that an additive should be added to the soil but I don't remember what it was. Can anyone help me?
nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6889162

If they're oak leaves, a bit of lime may be in order. It all depends on your soil pH. Get a soil test, and maybe call up your local Agricultural Experiment Station, and see what they think.
INgardener
Bloomington, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #7028969

Yes. A bit of lime since most leaves are an acidic amendment. I usually skip this step. I too live in Indiana and soils are alkaline to begin with. Leaves are a great addition and stimulate soil life (worms) and lighten the heavy clay soil I am cursed with. Good luck.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #7029063

Whoa now...if Indiana soil is already alkaline the last thing you want to do is add lime to it, raising the pH even more. It's good you skip that step, INgardener

Notlazy, if you've tilled under your leaves and are planning on planting in it soon you may be thinking of adding some nitrogen to offset the nitrogen tie-up that will happen as the leaves break down. If you can tell us what you plan on doing with the garden in the immediate future that will help with giving more definitive answers.

Happy Gardening!
Shoe
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

September 6, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #7031800

I've tilled in shredded leaves (and half-rotted straw) for years, mostly maple and ash, with never a problem. When planting in the spring, I add a handful of alfalfa pellets into every planting hole. Even oak leaves won't give you a problem in our alkaline soils. I'd advise against adding any lime.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Organic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miracle Gro darius 70 May 14, 2013 6:35 AM
Not Gardening, but Organic information darius 14 Feb 20, 2008 9:10 PM
pumpkins & borers roseofkaren 25 Feb 24, 2008 8:39 PM
Brewer's grain vs. Alfalfa meal/pellets for amendments? tabasco 9 Nov 3, 2008 6:36 PM
Raised beds & soil-borne disease sfk 9 Apr 6, 2008 4:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America