Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plumerias: And now a rooting question...

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 6, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
4elements
Cocoa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6875838

Kaneohe Sunburst stick. Planted June 1 here in FL. Same manner as all my other sticks (now in all stages of leaves and inflows...)

This poor guy. No leaves, nothing. Well, there appears to be little leaf buds, 2 of them, about 3 days ago. Now those buds are black and shriveled up.The stick even seems a bit "smooshie" and wrinkly. It came a bit "wrinkly", but now appears moreso. So I dug it out of its pot, and took a photo. My questions:

1. Why?
2. Do I need to cut the tip end off that was in the medium and let it dry some before replanting?
3. Same planting system when replanting? Superthrive, then Rootone?
4. Any chance at salvaging?

Thanks for your help. Not discouraged b/c all my others are doing so well. maybe it is the Kaneohe Sunburst-is it difficult?

Thumbnail by 4elements
Click the image for an enlarged view.

4elements
Cocoa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6875840

another view

Thumbnail by 4elements
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 28, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6875870

Kaneohe Sunburst is a reluctant rooter.
My recommendation at this stage is to spend $5 on a priority mail tube and send it to Florida Colors in Homestead to be grafted.
Good luck!
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 28, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6876433

Sorry about your problem...I agree with Hetty send it to Luc at FCn for grafting unless you can do it yourself. If you do send it I would cut it until you get rid of all the rot...that way it doesnt continue to rot in the mail.
Davie
4elements
Cocoa, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 28, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6876525

good point. I took some cuts from the base a while ago, and smelled it: stinky mold. I guess the soil is not drying enough for this stick. I am going to attempt to cut it until I don't smell stinky then try a drier mix of soil (more perlite,) b/c it was an inexpensive stalk (surprisingly)...may be why it was inexpensive...
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 28, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6876572

You can see by looking at it how far the rot has traveled. Look for the discoloration and cut above it. I agree that only grafting is going to save it. It is too dehydrated to root in time.
dbrooks
Yuma, AZ

July 28, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6876749

Well if you are going to try to root it and not graft it(which would be better and is only $5 plus S&H) I would suggest that you, after cutting to all white wood, dip it in root horomone and let it dry for day or two. If it shrivels during the hardening process, soak it in warm water overnight and let re-dry/harden.
Davie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America