Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The Spectacular Flowering Dogwoods: C. Kousa does not flower

Communities > Forums > Article: The Spectacular Flowering Dogwoods
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Spectacular Flowering DogwoodsReplies: 2, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SKoning
Tyngsboro, MA

July 28, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6877364

I planted a C. Kousa Chinesis 3 years ago in the fall. It has not bloomed yet. It is 5-6 feet tall and has grown with lots of new leaf growth over the past 2 years. In the late fall last year I added phosphorous to the soil as directed by the nursery where I purchased the tree. Still no blooms. Our soil is generally acidic, as we have many pine trees. I typically fertilize the tree with hollytone twice a year. The past two years have been great for the dogwoods in the area as they all have been full of blooms, except mine. Any suggestions? I live in the northeast and the tree gets moderate sunlight.

Thumbnail by SKoning
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6877521

Hmmm...what is the formulation of your fertilizer? Too much nitrogen will give lots of leaves but few blooms. They do need lots of sun to get maximum flowering. Sometimes they just need time to settle in...I know of a local friend who had one 7 years before it started to bloom...don't give up hope!
Gardenerkaren
Roanoke, VA

April 22, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7727463

My Kousa dogwood is about 5-6 years old, has bloomed less and less each year, and there were none at all last year. It is currently leafing out nicely but no sign of brackets. Nursery where I bought it suggested 3 Tbsp. Epsom Salts per gallon of water, which I have been doing since last fall. What would be the best fertilizer to use for this?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Spectacular Flowering Dogwoods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwoods bugme 0 Jul 18, 2009 11:14 AM
Eastern Dogwood hardiness PinetopPlanter 2 Jun 29, 2011 11:52 AM
dogwood in distress? dalry 5 Jun 27, 2011 1:25 PM
Lastest blooming dogwood? robinson1010 1 Jul 21, 2009 9:56 AM
Cornus Satomi Pink flowering dogwood Nannygirl 1 Jul 21, 2009 9:55 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America