Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Weed Control in your Iris Beds

Winnsboro, TX

I am always looking for some way to keep the weeds out of my iris and daylily beds. There is an article in the latest AIS book dated July 2009 that may help somewhat. The article is on page 30-31. Of course all you professionals already know about all this stuff.
I'm going to do exactly what all they did and hopefully in a couple of years I will no longer have to hand weed. (grin)

Happy Gardening everyone, and I hope your iris and daylily beds are weed free in the near future.
Marian

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Huh? What did "they" suggest?

Roni

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm not a professional so spill it since I don't have access to the AIS book:lol: I had a banner year raising a bumper crop of weeds this year so I would love to hear what "they" suggest!

Lebanon, OR

What I use in the commerical beds is one year Ronstar and the next year

D

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Dee (one year Ronstar and the next ) what is Ronstar and what did you do the next ??? I'm confused as always ;0)
Gloria

Lebanon, OR

Ronstar is a pre emergent 60% than Preen and right now I will have to get the other chemical bottle out and let you know what it is.

One chemical I love is Stinger which here is 138.00 for a quart but you only use one ounce per gallon and you can spray right on the iris to kill such things as clover and thistle.....

You get these at farm co ops where the farmers go to buy their chemicals. We get ours at Wilco farms,

D

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Do you have to have a license to use any of those chemicals? I work with a lady who farmed tobacco and I know she had to have a special chemical license in order to use some of the stuff needed for her crops.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thank you Dee I'm not SO confused now I'll have to see if I can find some around here
Gloria

South Hamilton, MA

Iris foilage isn't smoked. Our weeds are very happy.

Winnsboro, TX

LOL I'm so glad I checked back to see what others had written. I love it Dee when you stop in mid stream with the other treatment. I laughed so hard I nearly had an accident. LOL I'm glad someone besides me can't remember everything. What am I talking about....I can't remember ANYTHING. I wake up in a new world everyday. Don't laugh it's the truth. My poor husband says I wake up in a new world every few hours.

I'm going to google Stinger and go get me some in the next day or two. I always have a bumper crop of clover every spring in the iris and daylily beds. (BIG FAT FROWN) I just hate pulling them out and fighting with them along with the other weeds.

Hey IrisMA, don't give anyone any ideals, they might roll some iris leaves and see what effect they have on em...... I've heard of folks smoking grapevine leaves so who's to say they wouldn't try irises? I think young people will experiment with anything and everything.

Happy Gardening, I'm going Googling S T I N G E R!
Marian

Lebanon, OR

NO license for Ronstar or the other chemical and I will think on it tonight...and get back to you.

D

Starts with either a T or D
:)

Madison, WI

I am having trouble finding Stinger.
Anyone know a place that I can mail order it from?

Elladan

Lebanon, OR

I believe that it is a Dow Chemical product.

D

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I was clover free for a few years then this year I've got a huge layer of it covering my flower bed. I know they are deep little bulbils and break like cheap china when you try to get them out...
I had such a nice thick 3 inch tall layer that it made the perfect hideout for a snake to move in and hide around under the clover canopy:lol: One of my neighbors told me they saw it and I practised the avoidance technique--ignore it:lol: I'll have to do something to get rid of all that clover. My neighbor's sister wants some of it! I told her unless she has a big area she wants covered, I would grow it in a container on concrete:)

Madison, WI

Yes, it is the clover that is so much trouble. Getting rid of that alone would be a big help.

So, I can just order things right from Dow Chemical? I am not so sure about that.

Elladan

Baton Rouge, LA

Stinger is very expensive, but you can get it from SaveonChemicals.com if you really want to sink the $ into it. Yes, it does work well. Here's a link to the listing:

http://www.saveonchemicals.com/index.php?doc=moreinfo&id=446

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Here is the following caution with regards to using Stinger in areas where it could contaminate groundwater.....

"The Stinger label contains the following advisory statement: "Clopyralid is a chemical which can travel (seep or leach) through soil and under certain conditions contaminate groundwater which may be used for irrigation or drinking purposes. Users are advised not to apply clopyralid where soils have a rapid to very rapid permeability throughout the profile (such as loamy sand to sand) and the water table of an underlying aquifer is shallow, or to soils containing sinkholes over limestone bedrock, severely fractured surfaces, and substrates which would allow direct introduction into an aquifer. Your local agricultural agencies can provide further information on the type of soil in your area and the location of groundwater."

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/herb-growthreg/cacodylic-cymoxanil/clopyralid_mono_salt/clopyralid_let_404.html

Anytime you use chemicals it is wise to do some research to make sure it will not adversely impact YOU or your environment.

Dawn

Winnsboro, TX

Weed control update.
Ok, as some of you might remember here awhile back I got some Hi Yield to use over the top of my irises and daylilies for weed/grass control.

Here's the scoop, it did kill all the grasses growing in the beds. Of course when the grass was about 2 ft tall it just all fell over on top of the irises. The good thing was that it was very easy to pull out of the beds and you could see there was nothing lurking in the grass.

There were some weeds that it did not kill. These of course were something that I could pull up with little or no problems. I have some photos on the camera but as you know I have to go to town and get them put on a cd so I can share them with you. Bottom line for me, I was VERY PLEASED with the results regarding killing the GRASS in my iris and daylily beds. I will be using this stuff again next year. I also bought some Preen to try in different areas. I'm going to test a couple of different things and hope to be able to compare the results to one another and then I can decide which one works best in my area.

Let's all work together to keep all iris and daylily gardeners informed as to how to be weed free. We've come along way but there's still tons of information that needs to be shared with everyone regarding how to save time maintaining our gardens and have more time to enjoy them. (grin) No I'm not dreaming, if we all work together we can accomplish and overcome some of the useless and time consuming chores of hand weeding gardens and flowerbeds.

Happy Gardening My friends, Marian

Baton Rouge, LA

Marian, which Hi Yield product did you use? Hi Yield would probably be much more cost effective than Stinger. Also, did you have any nutgrass among your weeds? Did the Hi Yield get the nutgrass too? That blasted nutgrass is my arch nemesis. I've used spot treatments of Round Up on it, but that's just so time-consuming to go from weed to weed to weed. I'd love something I could broadcast on the bed that would take care of the nutgrass but not kill the plants! Thanks for any info, Evey =)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the feedback, Marian. I'm going to ask for a report from you in the spring, and then if everything looks good I'm going to try the one I have, Ornamec.

One of my biggest problems is I love ornamental grasses, and have a lot in my flower beds, and these products will kill them, too.

South Hamilton, MA

Lots of grasses in some of the iris beds--definitely not ornamental. Where does one buy corn gluten? DH didn't like the Preen description on the container. I realize that it is for seeds, not grown weeds or grass.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've used Preen for many, many years, Lucy. I read the label, it scared me, as they all do, but since so many people were having such good luck with it, I tried it, and have been using it since. It really works well.

Madison, WI

Corn gluten has too much nitrogen for iris to be happy.

Raleigh, NC

yup, you have to weed first, then put down the Preen. the iris society gals here always use Preen, but after reading the bottle, I have not. but this year, with being too sick to weed, the weeds have killed so many irises that I'm ready to use just about anything. I have heard you can't let any Preen actually fall onto the rhizomes.

Madison, WI

we use Ronstar rather than preen. It is harder to find and costs more. But has good iris safety.
I hate the smell of it, so have never used it at home.

(so when I say we, I mean the club uses it on the convention beds.)

Kansas City, MO

Oh boy, I read bonjon's comments after I used the Preen I had just purchased. I felt so good about not only treating the iris beds but others.

Then I read the final comment about not getting any on the rhizomes!!!!!!! TOO LATE!! Is this for real? Have I just damaged all my iris I am trying to save from weeds?? I broadcast it by hand and was very happy with the ease of it all, but now I may have done harm.

Please, any of you that have experience with it, tell me, have I just reallllly messed up or what?

Irisawe

Raleigh, NC

just to be on the safe side, Irisawe, I'd take something like a basting brush and go brush off all the rhizomes I could reach. Preen works by effecting a seed's ability to put down roots.

Winnsboro, TX

Ohhhhhhh no, I have no ideal about that irisawe. I bought some preen but I have not used it yet. I'm always afraid to try stuff on my irises and daylilies. I'll see if I can find the bottle for the stuff used to kill the grass and then I can tell you if it kills nutgrass.

I hope that the preen doesn't harm your irises.
Happy Gardening, Marian

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I've had Preen fall on my bearded irises many times, and it never hurt them.

Lebanon, OR

I use Ronstar which is much stronger than Preen and it falls on the rhizomes all the time, without one bite of harm to them. I usually put it down when rain is expected in less than 24 hours or water it in.

D

Raleigh, NC

well, if it's stronger than Preen, then she's probably ok with it on the rhizomes, right? that's good info to know.

Gainesville, TX

Is Ronstar a granular? Do you buy it in bulk. So you have ballpark figure on price per acre. Do you use it twice a year fall and spring? Where do you buy it. Do you have to buy large amounts, as in 50 lbs? or more.

Kansas City, MO

Pollyk,

Thank you!!!! It did rain the next day and even though the ground was still saturated from past rain I thought well, maybe it would wash off the rhizomes somewhat. It is great to know I can put that anxiety to bed altogether.

Thanks again,

K

Lebanon, OR

Ronstar is grandular bags are 50# cost 80-85.00 a bag takes 5 bags to do 1 . 5 acres. Ends up being cheaper than Preen for me. Do it both in the Fall and the Spring. Fertilize in the Spring

Get it at the feed stores where farmers get their chemicals...

D

Raleigh, NC

on my way to pick up Ronstar. hope it's not to late in fall for now. we're about two weeks away from first frost.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LURK......

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Quit lurking and c'mon in, LOL. We're a friendly bunch. Welcome.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Thanks!

My iris beds are a nightmare. Between the too wet and the grass I am all but about ready to give them up for pasture.

Cant always use chemicals due to the wet, cant always weed and I swear, if I want to keep any bearded, they are going to have to go in containers!

Weeds here are anything from thistles to raspberries, to bull nettle, to grass, clover, did I mention grass, and clover.. more grass, more clover! LOL! oh, and poison ivy....lots of PI!

Poor soil..... Oh about the only thing they will get that is good is sun in the summer, but anyother time its too wet and if they are not in a raised bed, they are toast in poor soil.

Tried Preen... dint work. Preen and Miracle (kill) Grow are not my friends.

Ornamec worked on the dayliles, cant remember if it was useable on the iris..you need a PAL for application. Roundup works, but you cannot hit what you are trying to save it in Pro strength kills all.

Ok, back to lurking! (Great thread BTW!)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I am going to give the Ornamec a shot this year. Supposedly it's OK for irises. What do you mean it needs a PAL for application? I'm so scared to use it. But the grass in the beds is horrible.

No lurking!!!!!!!!Posting only!!!!!!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

P = Private or Pro
A = appplicators
L= LICENSE

Chemical certification to apply. You may also need it to BUY certain chemicals.

State regs probably vary.

*sticky* !!!!

Back to lurking.....

UM, before lurking.. FEAR is a good thing! :^)

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.