Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Coleus: Time to call it quits - need coleus cuttings?

Communities > Forums > Coleus
bookmark
Forum: ColeusReplies: 202, Views: 3,142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 29, 2009
9:42 AM

Post #6878981

Time to close this offer. I have 18 boxes to send out.

I have decided to close up the greenhouse. It is expensive, time consuming - simply a waste of time.

I have enjoyed every minute I spent out there. I just need to find myself a different hobby, closer to home.

The place I am living is in foreclosure. The landlord disappeared last year & I haven't paid rent in months. Living for free has been nice, but, this is not the place to try and keep a collection going. My collection is too big and too hard to move. I can't burden my friends and family with my collection, they have their own chores.

So...

If you ask me nicely and promise to return my postage I will send you a box full of cuttings.

I have been having problems with mealy bugs, a problem I haven't been able to solve completely. I spray every week, but, they keep flying in and re infesting the coleus. Coleus are fast growers at this time of year and the bugs seem to know which parts of the plants are new and untreated. I will do the best I can to send them bug free, but, there is no guarantee.

I would have posted this on the Plants Forum, but, I only want to deal with the coleus crazies.

This message was edited Jul 30, 2009 3:17 PM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 29, 2009
12:05 PM

Post #6879228

I promise to pay postage and would love a box, Dale, but sorry to see you have to go through this. I hope you'll find another place where you can resume growing your beautiful coleus. Then we can all send cuttings back to you.

Please add my name to the list. Thank you.

Pirl/Arlene
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

July 29, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6879388

Dale
So sorry to see this happen. I hope you find better diggs in which to live and like pirl said, don't worry about getting more coleus. You know you can restock right here with your friends.
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2009
1:46 PM

Post #6879550

We would love a box also, and sorry that you have to close your greenhouse, and when you are ready we will send you some

Just let us know how much postage is. I can paypal it to you when you are ready

Patrick

This message was edited Jul 29, 2009 9:47 AM
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6879562

Oh Dale,
I'm very sorry for all the problems you had with the coleus. You have so many really beautiful ones. I would gladly send you postage for cuttings paypal if you would like or a check. Just let me know how much.
Pam
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6880387

Dale, this is a saying that has given me joy:

Every story has an end, but in life, every end has a new beginning.

I hang onto that, especially in this economy!

I know that your new beginnings will be wonderful.

Dmail sent with address and a promise to pay for postage. ^_^

edited to add: this coleus is called Orange King (according to it's tag anyway!)

This message was edited Jul 30, 2009 9:16 AM

Thumbnail by booplants

taj12
Parkersburg, WV

July 29, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6880955

Dmailed you with address.
taj
hbt1290
New Port Richey, FL

July 29, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6881246

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Your wonderful pictures got me obsessed with coleus, a "magnificent obsession." I would dearly love a box of cuttings, please, please, please. I'll d-mail you with my address and will be more than happy to pay postage and packing.

Helen
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2009
10:11 PM

Post #6881716

Helen, I have to agree with you...I always loved coleus and got hooked on it back in the mid 70's as a new gardener.
BUT Dale really created a much stronger love of it. It's an obsession and my favorite shade plant.
I only have about a dozen varieties since it is very difficult to buy here in Phoenix. But I have a long list of the ones I like and want someday.

Dale, I will miss seeing all you share with us.

I am able to keep it growing as a perennial which is nice too.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6881800

Dale I too would love a box of cuttings... and will send you money... and can always send you some back later on... hope things get better for you
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6882402

I have 8 on my list so far. I think a couple more lurkers should take me up on my offer.

I almost forgot that I have a few hundred plugs in trays, I will have to send some of those too, if possible.

I am debating whether to use flat rate boxes or UPS. Anyone have any experience in doing a cost comparison?

If I use the $5 small flat rate box I can fit in many cuttings, but, no plugs.

If I go up to the $11 medium flat rate box I can get 15 +/- plugs and alot of cuttings.

You all need to let me know (by dmail) which you would prefer.

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6882474

Dale, I am wishing you well, you also peaked my interest in coleus and started me searching for more. Always enjoy your posts and pictures. This being the exception. : (

I would love a box also, just d-mail me the shipping cost and I'll post a check to you. And when you want to get started again I'll return the favor.

Chris

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6882784

Dale,

If you have any more available I would like to have some.

Paul
mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6882808

Oh I sure hope I am not to late...but understand if I am. I love coleus and would love to have some of your cuttings.

Thanks in advance

Shirley
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6882857

Paul,

You should drive over this weekend. I will be there on Saturday and Sunday, from about 9am to noon.

I will load you up.

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2009
10:10 AM

Post #6883802

Hi Dale
Would love a box it you still have some.
Jan...
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2009
10:32 AM

Post #6883829

I would love a box of cuttings...
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6884173

Dale,

Sent you a dmail

Paul
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 30, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6884908

Dale, I also would love to have a box if you have any left. I sure hope you stay with us here - I have learned so much from you and really enjoy all your beautiful pictures.

I will send you a D-Mail.

Chris
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2009

Post #6885674

Just to be sure...

I have reached a good number and I will have to stop taking names.

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

July 30, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6885837

I'm still fiddling with the War Zone.

The one coleus that I already had, Swiss Sunshine, a cutting from a friend, is bullet proof. I'm propagating that one like crazy, and the leftover cutting scraps just won't die. So, instead of one of everything, I think I might have zoodles of this one. It's such a cutie.

Dale, just so you don't go away! But burnout is pest, as is moving. Good luck finding a new abode.

Melissa

Thumbnail by Molamola

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6885882

Thanks Melissa,
I am sure something will come up.

BonnieIN

(Zone 5b)

July 31, 2009
12:42 AM

Post #6887054

Dale, does this mean you will still be growing coleus just not such a large and extensive hobby for you?

Sure would hate not having you here, I just got "the bug" last year!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6887256

I will still have some coleus, but, going from 75+ to 10 will be a big step down.

My growing space is going from 100' x 75' down to 15' x 10'.

And I am still facing a move soon.

mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2009
2:36 AM

Post #6887654

Dale-A check is heading your way...I got it in the mail to you today.

Shirley
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #6887890

Dale sorry to hear that what will you be doing with the larger plants???
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #6887891

Mine too...but in the mail in the morning!
Thanks Dale.
Boo
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2009
10:26 AM

Post #6888423

Lee,

The larger coleus plants are gonna get chopped on, I have 18 boxes to send.

The other stufff - the tropicals, peach trees, lantana, banana, crotons etc. will be on sale this weekend. I am going to be there on Sat & Sun from 9-12.

I sent a flyer out to the folks I know locally, the ad said Sunday, but, people I am a little closer too I told them Sat (that would be you).

Anything left after this weekend is going to be given away. USF Botanical Garden. The University over in Lakeland and Bok Tower are also on my list - if I have the time.

I am sure a lot of it is just going to be left behind.

I am going on vacation to Northern California for the last two weeks of Aug. Every 10 years I give myself a 'big' vacation. For my 50th birthday I spent 3 weeks in Hawaii. I don't want to go that far away this time.

This one of Chris Baker's new hybrids, as yet un-named, lets just call it 07-49>

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 31, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #6888526

Dale,
Please send me a list of what you have.
50glee
Huntersville, NC

July 31, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6890278

HI Dale
- I am so very sorry to read your plight.

but ive gotten my shipment of pots in from greenhouse mega store and would gladly accommodate your whatever.

i do like the big ones. any JapaneseGiants or crotons left ??

can tropicals be house plants? if so count me in there too.

tell me postage amounts and ill forward to you.

Beverly
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 1, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6892007

Dale, just might be a huge "Whew!" once you're done, hey?

I am overloaded right now, but not with a big greenhouse thing.

Best of luck, and have a GREAT vacation!

(Alla them you sent me are turning green! New post w/photos in a day or two.)
BonnieIN

(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2009
2:20 PM

Post #6901392

Dale you have to think like a woman does now... in that 15' x 10' area, many coleus could be grown!
I can envision coleus in hanging baskets, creating columns with tiers after tier of coleus pots, etc.
The possibilities are endless ...

I'm very glad to hear that we aren't losing our King of Coleus and you will still be around to share with us!

Bonnie

hbt1290
New Port Richey, FL

August 3, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6901606

Those of you who asked Dale for cuttings are going to be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy! Since I'm only an hour away, I drove to Dale's on Saturday to take advantage of his offer and save him the work of packing. We wandered up and down the rows of containers, and he gave me a marvelous selection of cuttings - every color, leaf size, shape. He's truly an enabler - "Here, take one of these, too - it'll look good next to that other one." And on and on.

Luckily, he also had dozens of pots I could buy. Got home, gave the babies an insecticide bath and started potting the cuttings. I finally finished up at 9:00 pm, famished but too tired to chew, so I raised a couple of cold beers in Dale's honor. Thank you so much, Dale! It was great to be able to meet you, and to come home with such treasures.

Helen

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
3:23 PM

Post #6901627

oh I am so excited to see mine! ^_^
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6901687

I started to go but got lost about 2 miles away. LOL Teach me not to take a map!!! Next week.
hbt1290
New Port Richey, FL

August 3, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6901768

Budgie - let me know if you need directions from the map-impaired like me - the only tricky part I found was that you have to drive down the little road that says "No entrance" or something like that.

Helen
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6901810

Can't miss the gate display with the over sized, slowly declining Impatiens...

This is a croton, not a coleus>

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6901916

Thanks but Dale was kind enough to enlighten me. I'm working on trying to organize my "backyard" nursery so I can apply for a license and get inspected so I can sell locally.
I'm quickly running out of ground room and have a large order of colocasia plugs coming the week after that I have to find room for in addition to anything I get from Dale. I'm currently scavenging empty pots right now to clean and bleach them for the plugs.

Dale,
I'm surprised you've been able to keep your inpatients going this long. Those and my snapdragons pooped out weeks ago.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 3, 2009
4:41 PM

Post #6901945

Did you know I have thousands of pots and trays to match?

I keep my impatiens in 'containers'. They are planted on the ground, but, not in the ground. When you come out I will show you how I do it.

At one of my jobs I have impatiens that are three years old, in pots. They are nearly shrubs>

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #6902027

I'll check out the pots when I come. Maybe that's why mine get fried in the ground. I never thought to keep them in the pots.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6902296

Dale I am so sorry of your plight. To down size in life is the hardest thing, so I found out last year. I miss my life as it was but making the best of what I have and so will you. it's the nature of the beast. You did put the coleus on DG map so to speak.Helene
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2009
12:05 AM

Post #6903688

I got 4 checks in the mail today

Thanks Hetty
and Linda H.
& Shirley S.
and Pam C.

Today didn't go well, so I will be posting boxes in the morning.

I found fire ants in the containers I was replanting. Had to go to the store, get insecticide and then wait for them to die. It is always something.

When I went to pick up the Pentas I was planting I am glad I called first. I didn't realize they took an hour and a half lunch. Noon to 1:30. It was 4:15 before I finished. I was hoping to get done by 2.

I need to get back to my chores. I will take a break later.

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6903872

mine went out yesterday but will probably be post marked on Monday since mail doesn't relaly get posted on Sunday's.
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

August 4, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #6903920

ours went out today also you should be receiving it in a few days
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
1:07 AM

Post #6903952

Mine went out Saturday.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2009
3:55 AM

Post #6904738

Oh Dale, so sad. Maybe you could buy that place for a song if it is going into foreclosure.

I thought that was your job, I didn't now it was a hobby.

My variegated clivia would get mealy bugs and they were impossible to even get to since they would get way down between the tight leaves. I used the Bayer Tree and Shrub. It is a systemic which with just 1 dosing will work up to 1 year. I haven't seen a mealy in months!

I hope you find an even better place!
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6904802

I've been away most of July and just came across this thread. What a shock it was reading the title! I'm glad to know that you will still be here with us on Daves. I don't post a whole lot, mostly in the winter when I'm not outside or too busy with the kids, but you opened my eyes to the vastness of coleus varieties. Plus you are so full of information and are always so kind. I've learned so much reading your posts. And your photos are beautiful!
I'm sorry you're having to change locations and "up-root" yourself and all of your plants. And it doesn't sound like you've got a lot of help there either. I hope your sales are going well though. I wish I was there. Your coleus would be one of the ONLY reasons I'd go to Florida in July or August!

Keep the pictures coming! (Do you have a photo of a coleus that's chartreuse and purple!)
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2009
8:22 AM

Post #6905158

Kell,

I don't really feel that sad, more like relieved. It was a lot of work and I didn't receive any support from the retailers. I did enjoy every minute I was there, but, the expense (time & money) made it a very expensive hobby. I need a hobby closer to home.

Catherine,

I was hoping to infect you (& everyone) with a uncontrollable love of coleus. Lucky you...only mildy infected. I guess you live too far north.
-----------------------------------------
I went out and bought myself all the tools and a few supplies to restart my stained glass lamp hobby. One of the things I studied in my 9 years at various colleges was Studio Art. I wasn't very good at the high brow stuff, but, I did learn to make patterns for windows and lamps.

I will have to go thru my photos when I unpack and post a photo of one of the lamps.

Everyone is gonna get a big cutting of Tiny Toes>

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
8:53 AM

Post #6905166

Buying property thats owned by the bank is a risky business and a long process.
Hope when you land in another place you'll find something rewarding.
Glass worl sounds nice
Good Luck.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2009
11:17 AM

Post #6905267

You will probably love getting back into stained glass. I have lots of scrap glass with the intention of trying it out and also doing mosaic work. I did some stepping stones and containers & pots with stained glass that are fun. I just bought a glass kiln so I can use up some of the scraps and try my hand at fusing/slumping. Just need to get the plants organize to find time to learn how to use the kiln. LOL
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 4, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #6905298

Your poor subconscious mind is probably packed to overflowing with colors and shapes. Once you get some glass pieces done, you'll surely post for us to see? And perhaps you'll do some pieces incorporating coleus? lol.

No watering, no bugs!

Cheers,

Melissa
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
2:17 PM

Post #6905739

I fuss glass when I can get access to a kiln. Here's a sample of a combination of my two hobbies. Just one of my "chrysanthemums". Please show us a stain glass coleus if you decide to make one. Wouldn't that be so very beautiful!!!! (And a lot of cutting. ^_^) Your coleus could live on and on, tons of colors and patterns, and pest free!!! I know, it's not the same... but they would still be beautiful.

Thumbnail by 3gardeners

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6905885

Those are beautiful. Hopefully, someday I can turn out things like that. Too bad you're not closer. I would trade lessons for kiln time. LOL
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6905939

Thanks. You're really kind, and generous with your praise. But I don't want to change the focus of the thread. I just would LOVE to see some stained glass coleus! There's lots of glass info. and photos over in the "Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Discussion Forum". They just decided for some reason to not include "Glass Arts" in the title. LOTS of info. at the beginning of the forum, which wasn't too very long ago. I can point you to some of the info. threads if you're interested. Just d-mail me. :-)
Chesapeake
Wingate, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6906069

Dale... I would love to have a box of your coleus if possible. I will send whatever the postage is you need to send. Please let me know.

Thanks Peg
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2009
10:17 PM

Post #6907440

What a long day. I was so glad when the thunder & rain started, perfect excuse to go home. I took the plastic off the hoop house this last weekend. It cost over $300, I am going to keep it in storage in case I find a use for it someday.

Thanks Pirl and Taj for the postage money.

These are the folks that are going out next Monday>

Bailey, Brady, Braun, Cockrell, Johnson, Long, Major, Moder, Rentmeister.

I could not fit the plugs into the boxes, they would have been cut back to nubs, they are so overgrown. Might just as well send cuttings. Everyone got at least 25 different coleus. Depending on the size of the stock plants - some I only got one cutting per person, some as many as three.

I started at one row and just worked my way to the end. Then the 2nd row...to the end. Etc.

This next weekend is the 'open to the public' plant sale. I am going to post signs on the hiway a couple miles up, in both directions. It will be interesting to see who drifts in. I am going to get the giant dolly out and move a couple 25 gallon Banana, a 20 gallon Tibouchina and a 15 gall Croton up to the road to act as beacons.

Is this Stella Red or Starry Nights, I can't tell then apart in the heat of summer>

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6907494

I am very excited to see mine and proove that an Arizona Gal can grow Florida coleus in spite of this heat from h***.

Dale, thank you so much for being so generous with us and taking the time to pick coleus for us. I wish I could fly in for the sale...wow would it be cool!

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 3:29 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6907498

Regardless of the name the edge on it is beautiful.

I realize you said that sending plants, donating and selling would be a relief but I'd imagine it's a bit painful as well. I hope the people coming to your sale will give them good homes.
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6907519

Dale,
Do you suggest we root the cuttings right into soil, using a rooting compound or a water method to get them going?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6907563

Directly in soil.

Shameless at the bottom, almost everyone is getting one or more of this gal>

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6908311

Sorry I missed the give away, but much sorrier that this whole housing thing has been so hard on you - I hope you've been able to stash away a little cash for a consolation prize or two! I hope you find a wonderful home, Dale. Thanks for all the inspiration and eye candy.
3gardeners
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #6909007

You're killin' me! I wish I had seen this thread right away! I want them all! Dale, you're "Shameless" with you're coleus thumb! Just kidding -- I wanted to find a way to use that coleus' name. ;-)
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 5, 2009
7:59 AM

Post #6909317

Whatever you send Dale will be a gorgeous collection, I'm sure. Hope your sale is hugely successful this weekend! You're going to need that vacation after all this extra work.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2009
9:29 AM

Post #6909341

I like to stay busy. And I am Shameless...about coleus.

Anyone need a few hundred board feet of pressure treated lumber?

mistressgardenr
Jacksonville, FL

August 5, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #6909538

Dale--I could use the lumber but I doubt you could ship in in a flat rate box!!! LOL! Yes you are shameless about coleus and have been an enabler to many!!!
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 5, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6909619

Dale,
Dmail me with the size and price of the lumber.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6910899

Budgie, it is out at the greenhouse. I am expecting you Sat. morning! I was going to use it to bridge the ends of the greenhouse. There is enough to frame in one end (16' by 30').
Some of those 2x4's are 16' long.

Thanks to Goldfinch (generous, I can always use gas money) and Booplants - got your checks in the mail today.

It is overcast and drizzling here in Tampa - I knocked off early. I can always use a nap.

And I will remind everyone again, these cuttings will need a bug bath when you get them. I know I didn't get every bug off them. There won't be very many, but, those critters out number me.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6911012

What product would you recommend?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6911031

The same product you would use to kill aphids or any kind of soft bodied insect.

I use Triacide, it is long lasting and cheap - HD or Lowe's has it.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2009
10:08 PM

Post #6911690

I already have Insecticidal Soap. Would that work?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 5, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6911727

I believe it will.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6911795

Thank you.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #6914951

Thanks stplong, kathjo and gessieviolet, got your checks.

Everyone should be receiving a clipping of>

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6915220

Dale, thank you for a super fabulous, fantastic, unbelievable package of cuttings. They are superb.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Pirl

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6916280

oopsie Dale... think we had a mix up in the box size... I thought we agreed on the $11.00 box... no big deal though... thanks for the great choices

but it worked out good your shipment and Jada's both came today.. had my hands full

Thumbnail by onewish1

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6916284

out of all those... these are the only ones I had already... you guys did real good... thanks again!

Thumbnail by onewish1

KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6916295

Dale,
So glad it got there! I'm excited!
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6916484

I received my box today. It felt like Christmas! I had a ball looking at each one then potting it. It was like a neverending box of cuttings!! What fun...This has got to be one of the most generous gifts from one gardener to another. I thank you ever so much Dale for the coleus and the amazing sense of wonder I felt going through all of them. :)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6916613

I felt the same way - just like Christmas in August. I washed every single one of them and rinsed them. They're safe tonight and they'll get potted up tomorrow. What a great experience!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 7, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #6916619

Y'know, this is sending me off to Crotonland...

Thumbnail by Molamola

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2009
4:23 AM

Post #6917399

Did you all just wash them or give them a bath in something to rid any bugs that Dale spoke about?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 7, 2009
8:31 AM

Post #6917645

I like Crotons too>

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2009
9:42 AM

Post #6917676

I didn't have anything to dip them in ... I just washed mine off
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2009
10:48 AM

Post #6917745

I never even saw the First bug. I just admired...potted...watered...and became hypnotized with all the variety and beauty. This morning they are looking all perky and happy.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #6917782

I gave mine a good bath with Insecticidal Soap. Then I rinsed them.
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6918429

Thanks everyone. Can't wait for mine to arrive...I think I'm in next weeks shipment.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 7, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6918592

Next Monday, Boo.

Tiny Toes

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6918606

Dale,
I'll see you tomorrow am, map in hand. LOL
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #6918623

Got mine yesterday. Quit the box full! I was tired when I got home from work and a quick shopping trip. I went through them quickly, isolated about 3 with mealy bugs, will give all an Insecticidal Soap soak and pot them up today with rooting hormone.
Nice collection, Dale. You are a great DG buddy.

PS: I don't say "thank you" I'm a bit superstitious in that gardening aspect, they say if you do the plants won't grow.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 7, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6918625

I will be there, with my hand out...lol

Bring your trailer, we are gonna load you up.

I am very fond of Apocalypse>

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6918854

Sorry but my lil old green pickem up will have to do. LOL
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 7, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6918890

Hope it is a full ton model...

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 7, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6919059

No
Unfortunately it is an S-10 :-(
50glee
Huntersville, NC

August 7, 2009
7:27 PM

Post #6919396

oh me
Dale - remember me?

i am interested. i got a new plant stand already delivered and the pots are waiting for your package.

hope im not too late . . .

any house plant will do . . .Coleus is good.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 7, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6919522

50Glee,

Yes, you have been on the list for many days. You were one of the first to contact me.

You owe me $11.

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6919726

Here they are today...First picture...

Thumbnail by PamelaQ

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6919729

Second picture...

Thumbnail by PamelaQ

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6919734

And the Third too show them all...See how many!!!

Thumbnail by PamelaQ

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 7, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6919888

Pretty weeds you got there.

stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6920743

Hi Dale ,

I have a question for you, what is the difference from strawberry drop and trailing strawberry, I have them side by side and see no difference.

Thanks, Patrick

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2009
3:42 AM

Post #6921302

I never did either Stp
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 8, 2009
4:26 AM

Post #6921427

I'm fond of Apocalyse too. Its being overgrown but is peeking out the middle.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 8, 2009
4:30 AM

Post #6921431

Dale
Out of all those cuttings you sent this is my favorite. It was just a little piece but is so different from any coleus I have seen.do you know what it is?

This is a bad pic but hope you can id it.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2009
9:04 AM

Post #6921721

Patrick,

I think they are the same plant. People shorten the names. Most correctly it should be called Trailing Strawberry Drop. I have a sport of it that is much more 'richly' colored...it will be in your box. Everyone got a piece or two of my sport.

Jada,

You will have to let that one grow for awhile before I am sure, but, I think that is an un-named coleus, grown from seed.

pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2009
10:05 AM

Post #6921763

Dale, Im sorry to hear about your tragedy, might be a blessing in disguise. Look at how many people's garden you are enriching... Good luck to you. hope it all works out well for you. I have enjoyed looking at your pictures. I have some coleus rooting now, cant wait to plant them. This was just the inspiration I need to get to getting...

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #6921857

looks like your topiary is almost there Dale
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 8, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6921905

Thanks Dale

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6921912

Best of luck, Dale.

Love your topiary of India Frills. I noticed the leaves getting large on you. The same happened here and they got up to 3" long and lost their bright color and went mainly to the purple in the center. After that, mine died. Coleus sure have their own minds.

Take care and you will have 'Happy Growing" no matter where you are.

Hap
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6922068

Hi!
This morning I saw what looks like baby ladybugs on one coleus. It's hard to get a close up but here is a picture. What do you think?

Thumbnail by PamelaQ

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6922680

That topiary is amazing...I wish coleus didn't break off so easily (broke two this morning, moving another plant) but it usually grows fuller.

I am going to try a topiary!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6922722

Pebble,

Not a tragedy - change. Life is change, that's what makes us different from the rocks.

Happy 1,

Thanks, I am sure everything will be different - and for me that will be better.

Boo,

You will have several potential topiary in the box.

Pamela,

My eyesight hasn't been very good...for about the last 20 years. I couldn't see anything in the photo. We do have ladybugs here tho.

07-49, isn't she lovely>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2009
4:45 PM

Post #6922748

As I was making up the last 9 boxes this morning I counted the cuttings as I put them in one of the boxes - 145 - in the first box this morning. I used the smaller sized cuttings this time, Last time I was sending big cuttings, but, I have run out of big cuttings.

I counted the different types of coleus that I have, I got up to 149 before I lost count. And I thought I had about 75-100. At least a third of them are sports or seed grown - not the named ones we buy mail order.

It is my hope that there will be some saved over the winter and that next spring there will be a trading frenzy going on around here!

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6922868

I will always send you anything you need, Dale!
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6922885

Well, just got home from Dales a bit ago. Got my cuttings and bought a truck load of empty pots trays which I desperately needed.
now I need to go pot up my cuttings. Thanks Dale.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6923404

Boo, you are the most likely person to keep them all going - AZ has warm, mild winters compared to most of the US. Do you realize that you are going to get 70-80 new varieties? Your going to need pots, trays and soil. They should be there Wed or Thrus. They are boxed, all I have to do is seal them up and put the labels on.

--------------------

Budgie, I expect to see you again soon...I got a lot of stuff I want to unload on you. Do you think you might want the Coleus Topiaries if they don't sell? I wouldn't want to see them perish.

-----------------

Lady Gardener, Got you check today, thanks (money is never cursed).

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 8, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6923908

Dale, yes I would love them. Just let me know when all is said and done.
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6924771

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW Dale, I had no idea I was getting that many! I will get the trays prepared tomorrow...I am so excited!!! All Ineed is some insecticide...I have everything else.

Since it's so hot right now do you think keeping them in the shade is oka...or will I need to give them morning sun? It's 100 degrees usually by 9:00am.

Maybe I can be the coleus giver in a year or two...passing along your generosity!
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6924818

Hi Dale, sorry to hear you are getting out of the business, but I understand how things change. Life has been changing for me also, I hardly have time to garden anymore, cause of having to babysit my grandson.

It's so nice of you to share those beautiful coleus with these good people, I know they will share them back to you, if ever you need them. I'm gonna try to get a few from Leeperk (Linda) in the future, whenever I get to spend time in the yard again.

Hope to see you again at a future Roundup. : )
~Lucy
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2009
9:23 AM

Post #6925239

Lucy,

I sent out a lot of cuttings from the seed grown ones that Lorine gave me too. She had great luck with her seed, they are beauties. At least I think there were from Lorine, or was it Linda? I think your Mom and Dad should have used other letters of the alphabet, besides the L... lol

Boo,

Shade or they will have a quick death in the desert, they are unrooted cuttings.

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 9, 2009
12:17 PM

Post #6925397

What, pray tell, is the best source for seed, and the best variety?
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6925895

Dale, I'm not one of the 'L sisters', just a good friend that lives close to all of them. : ) They are good people, and love to grow beautiful flowers. They have, kinda of adopted me, tho. lol : ) Oh, and they do have sisters who names start with an I and S, too.
Have a wonderful day. : )
~Lucy
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6925924

Gee Lucy,
All this time I thought you'll were blood sisters too! LOL
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2009
3:39 PM

Post #6926032

No Jan, LOL, I just play one on here.
I was adopted and have no brothers or sisters. I do have 2 half brothers and 6 half sisters from my biological mother and father, who were not married to each other...if that counts. LOL
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6926075

We should start a new thread "As the DG Turns" LOL
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2009
3:50 PM

Post #6926079

Halves count.

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6926091

1/4 cousins too.

BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6926105

Oh, dale, I love that picture of the coleus, and the begonia. Looks really good together. : )

I'm not even gonna try to figure out who might be a 1/4 cousin of mine. LOL : )
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6926190

Thanks Dale. Now, one last question (for now anyway).

I can root them in the house but it's a cool 76 degrees in my house...seems like that might be hard to acclumate them to outdoors. What's your opinion?
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6926341

Lucy, we all have some common ancestors...if you go back far enough.
===============
Boo, outside, shade, as humid as you can make it.
===============
Can you tell the difference between these two?...pretty close.

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6926371

Got it Dale,
Thanks!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 9, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6927205

Cheese, one is scraggly around the edges, and the other is clear cut.

Your post: #6926079 is a reason to believe.
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6927416

Dale, it was my plants from seed, not going to let Linda [lee-perk] take credit!!! Good to see you on Lucy, I have missed you!!! Lorine
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6927524

Lorine, I will never be able to keep folks screen names and their given names connected. That is why I use the my real name, with a handle.

I knew I had gotten them from from you. And I and keeping most of the ones you grew for myself.

I am going to end up dumping all the ones I got from RD, Gebhart's and Color Farm -- I can always order them again or trade for 'em.

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 10, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6927904

"Dear Lord, Please protect me from ever having a large greenhouse!"

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6927975

Why?

After living in Rochester, NY, I consider my whole yard a greenhouse and it is loved...

At the present time, I am waiting til it gets a little cooler so I can really garden and my coleus get to the right colors.

Hap
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #6928173

it IS intersting the heat cause the coleus to be so faded...especailly here in Phoenix. But by fall they perk up and the new colors look beautiful!
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6928384

Dale, I hope they do well for you. Mine are at a standstill if they are not trying to bloom. It is so hot only the ones that are getting some shade look good! Oh well it will be cool soon!!
Lorine
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6928404

Hey Lorine, I need to get by to see your coleus and other flowers,...soon. Maybe I can do it this week sometime, I have a couple days off from babysitting. I've missed you, too. : )
Rene10
Wauchula, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6930076

Yeah, you ought to do that. Everthing is kinda overgrown & just wilting from the heat. Would love to see you!!!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2009
5:31 PM

Post #6930624

Mission accomplished.

All the boxes were posted at 11:30 today.

I'm done...send me my money. lol

Orchid>

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2009
12:01 AM

Post #6932077

your a good guy Dale,
Come for dinner tonight...lol.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2009 7:36 PM

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2009
2:07 AM

Post #6932689

thanks for your hard work getting these out to us Dale
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 11, 2009
8:44 AM

Post #6933572

I might suggest to everyone - soak these cuttings in water overnight (after their bug bath) to perk them up.

I took some cuttings on Sunday for cut 'flowers' for my desk at home. Most were fine after they sat in the vase for a couple hours...however...some stayed wilted.

I submerged them in a bucket of water last night & they are nice and perky this morning.

goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 11, 2009
11:04 AM

Post #6933686

Can't wait to get my package from you Dale! Thanks for the advice about soaking them. How long should they bathe in the bug bath first?
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6933901

I have to say the cuttings were very healthy. i put some of mine directly in perlite and they never wilted at all. i have some in water lining my kitchen sill, ran out of room, and they already are growing roots.i have two overcrowed flats, the front walkway has many and i have a bowl w/water with more to put in pots later. I am overjoyed!

Don't worry Dale. You will be blessed for your generosity.

Joyce
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2009
4:29 PM

Post #6934667

Pray tell, what heat is too hot? 90*, 95*, 115*?? Daytime temps, I mean. I have 90 and 80, high and low. Too hot?
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6934700

Melissa
Talk about too hot? The heat index here yesterday was 105. Today it is higher.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6934839

I grew up in Northern Virginia. All summer, everyone complained "It's hot!" All winter everyone complained, "It's cold!" I decided to choose one to like, and only complain half the year. I love to swim, so I decided I liked summer. Then I found out that I didn't HAVE TO live in Virginia, what a revelation! And I ran off to a place I call here.

I mean, the 'hot' that makes Coleus go pale.

My new babies!

Thumbnail by Molamola

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2009
5:56 PM

Post #6935003

Different looking coleus, there, molamola!! LOL

Hap
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6935257

Pray tell Molamola,
That must have been tiresome knowing everyone in Virginia and having them all complain to you about the weather. What must they all be doing, now that you are gone?

I'm glad I don't live in Northern Virgina either or some tourist trap.

I'm sorry I misunderstood your post. I forgot English was your second language.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 11, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6935518

So...

Anyone know the screen name of Christine First?

I got another check today, but, don't know who to mark as paid.

That leaves two more...

budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6935655

Christine First = Ladygardener1
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 11, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6935715

Thanks Jan

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2009
11:08 PM

Post #6936068

LOL, jadajoy, could I ever tease you. Don't get all hot because one person you don't know, and will probably never meet, dislikes a place, OK?

Hap, Yes, my grafting experiments with the green coleus went bad! All deformed, haha.

And Dale, a garden of buildings? What town is that?
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6936259

Thats the point Mola. I don't know you, so when you discredit a place and I happen to live there, well,...dem is fighting words. Maybe you should be more careful about what you say, Ok?

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6936332

MolaMola,

It is San Francisco CA. I will be vacationing there at the end of this month.

This is too>

ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2009
12:22 AM

Post #6936339

Sorry Dale, and budgielover gets the thumbs up for IDing me.
CF
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6936459

LOL
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6936853

Dale,
when I saw the second photo of MOLA MOLA I was so inspired! This is exactly what I want to do on my side yard...big steps with grass.

Have fun in Sf...one of my favorite cities in the US!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2009
8:57 AM

Post #6937529

I lived in SF for 14 years. I think of it as going home, finally.

One of my jobs in Napa Valley>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2009
9:06 AM

Post #6937535

I will get to visit my favorite places in the City>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2009
9:12 AM

Post #6937541

Every ten years I celebrate my birthday.

For my 40th year on the planet I gave myself 6 weeks in Europe>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2009
9:15 AM

Post #6937545

For my 50th year I went to Hawaii for 3 weeks>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2009
9:23 AM

Post #6937549

Since this is my 60th year visiting Earth I thought I would go to SF for 10 days>

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2009
9:27 AM

Post #6937552

I just noticed a trend...6 weeks, 3 weeks, 1 1/2 weeks. My vacations are getting shorter as I get older.

If I had to guess what I was going to do on my 70th I would guess a trip to WalMart to pick up my prescriptions.

goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2009
10:34 AM

Post #6937600

LOL Dale! But seriously, I hope you have a wonderful vacation! Looks beautiful there.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6937812

I'll meet you there, Dale. It will be my 70th next year.

Hap
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 12, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6937850

Hmm, you have the right idea. I usually ignore birthdays.

SF is a gorgeous city, for sure.

Mm
goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6938040

Man, Dale, you are OLD! I won't be 60 for 7 weeks yet.

If you don't already know about 'em, two cool plant places in the Bay area are Annie's Annuals in Richmond and The Dry Garden in Berkley. But maybe you're doing a true vacation and not looking at plants at all.

Try as I might, that never works for me. Have fun.

Chris

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 12, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6938099

LOL, go look at all the work someone else has done, and say whew. haha

Hey, are there stained glass things 'out there?'
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6938126

Lucky Dale! All those bday journeys!
Happy Birthday in case I am gone...I am traveling to Oklahoma to meet my first Grandson who was born July 18th.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

August 12, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6938405

That Dry Garden Guy is so cool!
MShaffer736
Loganville, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6938718

Love your idea for birthday celebrations, Dale. But it's too late for me to start that trend--I'm already in line at Walmart. :-)

Martha

Thumbnail by MShaffer736

rvnsbrk
Leesburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6938747

LOL Mom!!! You are too funny!

Juanita
gessieviolet
Saluda, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6939024

Dale, just got my box!! Wow. This is better than a Xmas package. Thank you.
stplong
Huber Heights , OH
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2009
6:56 PM

Post #6939105

Dale, we received our box too. Wow!! they are soaking right now and then comes the fun part
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 12, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6939473

Chris,

I haven't been in that area in 9 years...the Dry Garden is new to me.
-----------------------------------
Seems like I met Annie a couple decades ago, in Berkeley, before she started the nursery.

I have my usual route planned out. GG Park, Strybing, Jap. Garden, The Conservatory, Fuchsia Dell, then out to the nursery on Sloat. A walk on the beach at sunset. Dinner at Liza's on Potero Hill. I love their Portabello mushrooms and Shrimp, mmmmm.

Planning a day in Berkeley, East Bay Nursery, Strawberry Canyon, Annie's & now the Dry Garden. Maybe I can get over to the Downtown Oakland Garden by Lake Merritt.

I am hope to get down to Watsonville/Big Sur for a day. Watsonville is where Antonelli Bros. moved to (they used to be in Santa Cruz).

Then north - Napa Valley, Sonoma then up to Ukiah. Next day up to Eureka, then over to see the ex sister-in-law near Chico, over to Sacramento to see my high school chum Carla (& family).

Last day wandering the streets of San Francisco...I love to photograph the houses there.

Lots of ground to cover in 10 days.

I am going to take another photo of this place, in Pacific Heights>

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6940230

coming home...driving up to house...anticipating my box of coleus...and I see it waiting for me!!!!

WOW Dale...I will sure have fun tomorrow!

Splish splash, they're taking their bath!

Thumbnail by booplants

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6940236

The colors and varieties are amazing to me!!!!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6940726

box came today Dale... wow wow wow.. you really packed that thing... thank you very much!!
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #6941118

mine are all perking up and I plan to plant tomorrow afternoon.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 13, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6941700

That Pacific Heights garden is amazing. pinchpinchpinch!

Herbs? Public or private?

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

August 13, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6942094

Hi There!

Dale, so sorry to hear that you are closing up shop.
Tough decision, but, I guess with the expense and having to move on, was the best for you.
I am glad too to hear you will still have a smaller garden to enjoy and sty with us here in DG.

You have revived my love for Colius! This year I planted 3!
I found this thread to late to ask for a few but I look forward to see how those who have gotten a box does.

Good luck in the new place and have a blast for your 60th!
Happy Birthday and a Wonderful vacation to you.

Judy.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 13, 2009
6:29 PM

Post #6942917

Melissa,

In SF some folks 'front yards' are stairways up and down the hill. That photo is one of those kinds of places. You have to look closely, but, you can see the start of the stairs going down the hill.

Judy, Thanks, I know I will enjoy myself.

Gone, but, not forgotten>

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 13, 2009
7:03 PM

Post #6942987

it is an overcast day in Phoenix ...very rare...and I am planting my cuttings from Dale.
Still hot and muggy but I am loving it!
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #6943925

oh this darn heat...I hope these will survive! They looked great after 18 hours in the bath...and after planting but right now they are limp and screaming for more humidity! Crossing fingers...Arizona is not a coleus state like others with higher humidity. I have them in the shade and if they don't perk up I am going to bring them indoors...105 here today.

But I sure had fun looking at them and potting them.

Thumbnail by booplants

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6943928

is this inky fingers? whatever it is, it's my favorite!

Thumbnail by booplants

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6943932

I meant to post this as possible inky?

Thumbnail by booplants

booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6943936

the nursery...

coleus struggles here in the summer but all fall, winter and spring it's gorgeous! I have rooted many of mine so hopefully these babies will survive!

Thumbnail by booplants

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6944228

later will be the fun part... bringing them all in and finding room for them
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6944236

I moved a chair and an end table from the porch to this guest room and dragged in a five foot long picnic bench, covered it with a lace tablecloth and hope I'll have room for all the new arrivals.
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 14, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6944407

I can leave mine outdoors all winter... but our summers are killers.
KathyJo
Fayette, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2009
10:05 AM

Post #6944875

I got my box of cuttings from Dale today... It was better than Christmas!
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 14, 2009
11:03 AM

Post #6944943

Thanks Dale, got my box yesterday. Wow - what fun! I soaked them in a Triacide bath right away, then soaked them in a water bath for the night. This morning before work I put them in glasses of water and tonight I will start potting them up. They look pretty good considering their long journey. I was surprised to see that some of them had already developed roots along the stem during their trip! Thanks again for being so generous!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2009
11:46 AM

Post #6945097

a few of mine had roots started when they arrived as well
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6946411

I guess Onewish & Goldfinch are proof that shipping coleus in the heat of summer is OK.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2009
7:06 PM

Post #6946465

well.. some in the 2nd box were mushy.. most made it though
goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 14, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6946471

I too had a few that didn't make it, but most of them did!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2009

Post #6946494

I think I might be a little mushy if I had a hundred people laying on top of me for 3 days...

goldfinch4
Ripon, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 14, 2009
7:41 PM

Post #6946536

LOL - that's for sure!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6946540

Not one of mine was mushy, all have been planted and 95% are doing terrific.
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6946556

We can continue here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1027147/

This message was edited Mar 21, 2011 9:03 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8441353

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1166247/

After all the cuttings Dale sent us, now he needs our help by sending him cuttings.

Come on, DG people, let's return his generous favor in spades!

Thumbnail by pirl

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coleus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
OFA Containers goodoldbake 61 Jul 17, 2010 5:21 AM
Tree- shaped coleus Tomtom 67 Mar 23, 2011 8:41 AM
New project georgiagarden3 26 Apr 3, 2007 8:06 AM
Coleus standards..how to.. Eclipse 44 Feb 15, 2009 1:10 PM
1200 Step coleus addiction Program sugarweed 180 Mar 11, 2008 1:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America