Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Equine Forum: Did He Sense the Change?

Communities > Forums > Equine Forum
bookmark
Forum: Equine ForumReplies: 4, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 29, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6879295

Last Wednesday, I rode Ransom before leaving town. He was great for the first 20 minutes. Then a calf came into the neighbor's pasture. I'll spare ya'll the long encyclopedia details... But I will summarize and say we had about another 40 minutes of arguing that led to him hosed & tied to the trailer for nearly 25 minutes to cool down, another hosedown, and almost an hour & a half from the end of the ride before he saw his supper. It was not good, and my bridle was destroyed in the process.

Thinking over it later in the evening, Ransom and I had a similar battle just before I left town a month ago. He was great for most of a lesson, then, at a moment's notice, decided collection & stopping weren't in the cards. He was hollow, ugly, and took nearly 2.5hours total time from lesson start to him minding me again.

So do they know? Can my horse really tell I'm going to leave town the next day? Was he fussing & fighting because he wanted more time with me? Or was it just inattentiveness on my part, and him realizing it and taking advantage? Do I not ride before I travel? Do I "buck down", and prepare for the worst, and ride aggressively? Or do I saddle up, walk around for 15 minutes, and hop off, spoiling him with brushing & cookies?

He was in fact quite happy to see me when I arrived home Monday, and was a fabulous ride last night. Stiff, but responsive. Stiff I expected, after 6 days off, esp at his age...

Your thoughts?

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Equine Forum Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What I'm teaching Cynister Jenks 6 Jun 21, 2007 9:58 PM
My herd in pictures dmcdevitt 49 Jun 23, 2007 12:20 AM
What do you think caused these injuries? Jenks 36 Jun 23, 2007 12:25 AM
You probably already have a toxic plant list, right? mdvaden 42 Jul 13, 2009 12:50 AM
You've probably already seen this... horsey humor.... Pagancat 8 Mar 18, 2009 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America