AuthorContent
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6881254

Hi all,
Does anyone know if a cutting of a lily pad will grow? I got it yesterday and put it in a metal trash can that was empty (I filled it full of water about a week ago, it holds water). It was one of those relatively inexpensive aquatic plants from Lowes.
Apparently its hardy and tough because it survived over the Winter and a dog had ate some of it and dragged it out of the water.
The pad isn't looking too good today, maybe its dying? Thats the stem hanging down there, its about a foot long.
Thanks, Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

July 30, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6884943

No, I'm afraid it will not grow. What a bummer that the dog pulled the plant out of the water.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 30, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6885797

only certain lilies reproduce themselves in that manner.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/995572/
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6885916

I too, have had w-lillys multiply that way but only one type. My 6 year old son had places a few pads into my waterfall last year and they grew and returned this year. I think it is the little mexican yellow one (name escapes me). I have not had it bloom though.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 30, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6885946

there is a lists that has the ones that vivap easily.

shortleaf, i can send you a leaf or vivap of tina.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6886273

Thanks all,
I kinda worded that wrong up there. The dog attack, though terrible, left a lot of survivors. In fact, the whole thing survived, my Aunt just put it back in the water.
I'll post a photo of the pond that it came from. I just wanted to try to get one growing at my house in this can for now.
I haven't made a water garden yet.
Thanks for the offer Tucson but I better stay with this one, I know its hardy. Is the "Tina" you speak of hardy in zone 5b KCMO? I don't know what I'd do if the trash can started leaking!
Thanks all,

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

July 30, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #6886384

nope. she's not hardy. i will have to bring her inside for winter and i live in tucson, arizona. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America