Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: How To Lay Out A Vegetable Garden: Iris questions

Communities > Forums > Article: How To Lay Out A Vegetable Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: How To Lay Out A Vegetable GardenReplies: 1, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
solegypsy
Denver, CO

July 29, 2009
11:49 PM

Post #6882200

I don't have time to read all the stuff on irises so hoping someone (or several) can answer my questions. I live in zone 5 Colorado. Cold, snowy winters and hot, dry summers (although not this year).
I have many iris, 2-3 years old. They are planted in several small "plots", only one of which gets a good amount of sun, the other 2 areas are in partial shade. When they bloom, I only get a few blooms and some have never bloomed. The foliage is outstanding and appears quite healthy.
Is the lack of bloom being caused by (1) being planted too close together, (2) being planted too deeply, (3) too little sun, (4) other factors? I have
Also, I have been given several healthy rhizomes early this week (4th week of July). I do not have time to plant them now. How can I store them and how long can they be stored? I would like to relocate all the iris to a dedicated iris bed. What is the best time to transplant?

Thanks for your help!
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6918572

Mostly all the above! They need sun to bloom, and room to grow both - they will work themselves to the level of soil they want to stay with and grow it. They need more space and more sun.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How To Lay Out A Vegetable Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice, Mitch. Aunt_A 1 Nov 11, 2008 3:35 PM
Oh Dear! LouC 5 Nov 11, 2008 9:35 PM
Great phicks 1 Nov 11, 2008 8:03 PM
Early veg. 'paragraph' g39king 2 Apr 11, 2011 2:01 PM
First Time Container Gardner Ocdette 1 Mar 16, 2009 2:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America