Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Antiques and Collectibles: similar to view master??

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 12, Views: 108
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6883019

I have a complete set of old, yellowed , glass film strips, with a magnifying glass that you slide the glass into, I looked on e-bay and other places for this item and can't find info on it, can anyone help me ID it, and maybe tell me where to go to view more info on it. Also, the wording and the pictures on the glass all are in french, and of historical places in France, see the pics! This is the viewer to look at the glass pictures. Thanks

Thumbnail by jamibad
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #6883036

here are the film strips, glass, the boxes they come in, and a paper explaining what each picture is. Have you seen anything like this??

Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 30, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6883042

And here is a picture of the parchment like paper with the information describing what is on the film strips

Thumbnail by jamibad

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6893334

Jamibad -

I don't think the 2 items go together. The glass slides (pic. #2) look like stereopticon slides that could be as old as the mid 1800's, however, they look more to me to be from around the early 1900's. The viewer would have to have 2 places to put your eyes so that the pictures on either end of the slide would come together when viewing. This should give some type of depth or more like a 3D effect to the slide you are viewing.

The other item (pic #1), appears to be made from plastic, which to me indicates something that is not as old as the glass slides. My guess would be 60's -70's. It appears to be either some type of lens or magnifier. Perhaps belonging to a camera? It also appears that picture # 1 has only have 1 viewing port and you would need 2 viewing ports to view the glass slides.

You may get a better idea if you google the word 'stereopticon'.

Carolyn

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
7:53 PM

Post #6898365

Carolyn22, I'm going to put up a few more pictures on the magnifying part, you slide the glass strip into it, and look into the "very little" viewing screen, which has no light, you have to hold it up to a lamp and use that as your light source. This was all packaged together when i found it, in my grannys attic some while back. Thanks for the info and I'll research using the word you supplied me, Thanks, and here are a couple more pics for you to take a look at. Thanks

Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6898375

here's another, the last one shows how the glass slides into the viewer, and the viewer by the way is plastic, but has a glass viewing area ?

Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
8:00 PM

Post #6898389

It's so hard to see the thumbnails before posting here, so sorry if I get some bad pics, in the last post, that was 1 of the glass film strips, with , what seemed to be a very old building. Here's one last picture, than I go look up what you told me to. Thanks Carolyn22

Thumbnail by jamibad

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6898398

In the last picture, see those end pieces on the viewer, they actually close over the glass part to protect the glass, the film strip slides into a thin pathway, and you view 1 picture out of 2 at one time, you can't view both at the same time, and you push it straight through, when your finished you close the viewer up. OK, So...there you have it, now, the time has come to figure out what it is, Thanks to everyone following this thread
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6898470

jamibad -

I could very well be wrong on my guess, however, the 2 different types of materials don't go together in my mind. They are from 2 different periods of time. Let us know when you find out what it is.

Carolyn

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 2, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6898629

sure will, and thanks for the info.

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #7026975

nothing new to report, but am still wondering when this item came about ! I know what it does, just wondering the age of it, and if there are others in circulation? It seems to have been similar to old photographs that you needed a special magnifying glass to view the pictures, back in the early 70's i had some negative pictures of a friends wedding given to me on a film that was surrounded by a cardboard frame, and to view the pictures you had to insert them into a projector that put the image on the wall. The cards only held 2 pictures, side by side, as do these, the only difference 1 was film and what I have now is on glass, and the projector is a magnifying glass / projector and I know for sure they were meant to be used together, as the insertion slot for the glass picture is just the right size, here again with no illuminating light, you have to hold the viewer towards the light to see the picture as your passing it through. I wish I knw and if anyone knows of any particular site to go to to view similar items from the past?

Thanks, Jami
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #7028934

I googled "antique viewmaster" and got these descriptions: http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/optical.htm#Viewmaster%20VIEWERS

jamibad

jamibad
Flagler Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 10, 2009
1:16 AM

Post #7045878

wow, thanks, it'll take me a while to sort through all those items, but am going to do it! Thanks for the info, I didn't think of those "key words", thanks juneybug for the input! I'll let everyone know if I find what I'm looking for:)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America