Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Upper Midwest Gardening: Butterfly Weed in container?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

July 30, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6885144

I saw a dwarf form of butterfly weed advertised recenly that I would dearly love to keep in a container and overwinter indoors possibly. The normal ones haven't ever come back for me, even planted in more sheltered areas. What do you think?
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2009
12:56 PM

Post #6901065

Are you talking about Asclepias, a prairie type plant or a Buddleia, a Butterfly Bush?
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

August 5, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6908252

Slip of the pen! I meant Butterfly Bush!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6909559

I've never had a Butterfly Bush come back the next year either. I'm in zone 5. I gave up on them. A couple weeks ago my DD talked me into buying one again. This time I planted it in a big container and put it on the patio. Since I have an unheated greenhouse, I plan on putting in there for the winter after I cut it back. I don't see why you can't do the same in your house. I'd still cut it back though. However it will probably continue to grow in your heated home. It won't get the sun it needs and will probably drop leaves like crazy. Sounds messy. I also don't know if the plant needs to go dormant and a period of cold or not. It won't get that indoors. Hopefully somebody else will post and give better advice.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6910251

Oh, so my baby butterfly bush may not come back. Hmm, have to think of something else to buy to replace it ;~>
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6910465

grrrlgeek: I live way out in DeKalb County farm country. Open fields and lots of cold winter winds. If you live in town, where there's more protection, you may have better luck than I. Maybe you can keep it in your garage or basement near a window for the winter like some people do with geraniums.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6910606

We have a townhouse with another row facing us and the shared driveway is a wind tunnel all year round. At the end, where a fence or hedge should be,is a large emergency access gate. I tried to get the builder to do something before the home owners association took effect, like a solid gate with a hedge on either side (the noise from the road is bad, too), but they wouldn't bother. It may be okay, it's in the ground not too far from the house, and has some protection from some low grow sumac bushes i'm in the process of bonzai-ifying.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6911598

Bonsai Sumac. That should be interesting. Sometimes I wish I lived in town for the convenience to stores.
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2009
10:35 PM

Post #6911779

Actually, what I meant is, I'm bonzai-fying them to death. I don't like them, but it would probably freak out my neighbors (=home owners association) to pull them out before there's anything taking their place. As the butterfly bush and lilac grow, the sumacs disappear ;~> They're much cuter as tiny bushlets.
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6913538

You're naughty.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America