Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: August - how do you make the best use of your garden space?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 171, Views: 1,510
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6893114

Here's Zuzu's August calendar page showing one part of her lush gardens.

Some of us are limited to only indoor gardening while others have balconies and still others have several acres.

Is your garden lush, like Zuzu's, or do you have expanses of lawn, terraces, patios, courtyards, etc.?

How would you like to change your gardening area?

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6893931

We have an urban, downsloping lot of 5600 sq.ft. total, with a little over 2K sq.ft. cut up into garden beds. These rectangles are divided by various hardscape. As drought is serious here, a few beds live entirely on runoff; the rest are watered by soaker hoses.

I can't imagine having more acreage to garden in. Although I'd love more space in principle - some sunnier areas would enable me to grow more roses and dahlias, for instance - I just wouldn't be able to take care of it all myself. I'm retired, but I want time to occasionally sit back and enjoy the 'view', without feeling guilty that I'm not forever weeding/pruning/deadheading/digging.

Our cottage garden is heavily planted, no lawn. Unfortunately the soil is getting tired as a result, so I need to modify my fertilizing/mulching routine going forward. Gardening is hard work! - but a joy to the eye and a balm to the spirit, as compensation.

This unusual photo is looking straight down out of our kitchen window, into one of the backyard flower beds. This is one that lives completely on runoff, no watering for six months thru the summer.

Thumbnail by jkom51

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2009
4:46 PM

Post #6894031

Very nice. Lovely view from any window.

We're also retired and I'm glad I spent the many hours working in spring to be able to enjoy viewing the flowers more in summer.

This is certainly our smallest garden - the Harper Road light post. It has daffodils and muscari along with bleeding heart in April and May, clematis Jackmanii and Nelly Moser from the end of May (Jackmanii just goes on and on), dahlia Blackberry Ice (thanks to Flower Frenzy for the photo in the bottom left corner of this collage), and one mum for fall. Whatever it lacks in space it makes up for in volume.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2009
11:09 AM

Post #6900806

This is whats blooming in my Aug garden.

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2009

Post #6900811

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2009
11:10 AM

Post #6900812

I made 2 collages and cant find them

Thumbnail by ge1836

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
5:29 PM

Post #6902134

I occasionally have to remind myself to look up and enjoy that view. I'm not retired, so my time in the garden is somewhat limited, and I'm consequently always staring down into the flower beds, on the lookout for weeds and spent flowers to remove. A few days ago, I made a conscious effort to relax and take the long view. I saw this nice layered look above. The bottom layer is a Lady Banks rose on an arbor, the middle layer is a silk mimosa, and the top is a black walnut.

Thumbnail by Zuzu

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #6903018

Isn't it amazing that we do have to remind ourselves to stop and look around once in a while?

When I'm working near the field of daylilies, given to me by DG traders, I love looking up at the new vegetable garden gate.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6903024

Enjoying my first cup of coffee outside and just appreciating beauty on all four sides gets the morning off to a good start.

Thumbnail by pirl

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #6904221

I wanna head to NY and look up at pirl's vegetable garden gate and then have coffee on her lovely patio setting!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #6904375

Anytime, Sue! Bring Zuzu and JD with you, please.

One of my neighbors gets a bit annoyed when I buy new plants, especially hydrangeas. She is forever telling me, "You have no room" or "You're out of space". That was the reason I wanted to know how people actually use their space.

I think I could squeeze in another garden here if I wanted to but I'm happier keeping the gardens I have in the best shape possible.

Thumbnail by pirl

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6904576

I'm ready, Sue. What about you, JD?

She said you don't have space, Pirl? I look at that lawn and can't help thinking that the 300-400 roses that are still waiting in containers in my garden would take up so little of that space -- just a discreet row around the edges of the lawn.

I did manage to plant about 100 more roses in the ground this summer by removing two more of the big quinces and a couple of big beds of ditch lilies. It was no great loss: They had been planted as space fillers years ago when I didn't have the money to fill the garden with the things I wanted most.

Today I had 12 new bearded irises to plant, so I did that other thing I have to do periodically. I enlarged one bed and consequently reduced the width of the pathway next to it. The paths have been getting narrower and narrower by the year. As long as they're wide enough to accommodate a wheelbarrow, I'm not in trouble.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
5:49 AM

Post #6905015

LOL, you should send your neighbor to real estate tight Calif., we can show her what lack of space really looks like.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 4, 2009
5:59 AM

Post #6905032

My entire block would fit on pirl's lawns !

I do the same thing as Zuzu...widening beds at the expense of pathways. But that's ok. I've pretty much reached maximum capcaity and have no room for any expansion of beds. Less grass to mow is fine with me.

Added 2 more arbors a month ago. When you can't go "out", you can always go UP. It makes things much more interesting with the vertical element and is a great excuse for buying more roses and they're a great way to make "rooms" in a garden...or at least hallways !
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
8:00 AM

Post #6905141

I also added two more arbors a couple of weeks ago. I usually ask Jose to build them for me, but I saw one at Lowe's that was really nice and was marked down to practically nothing, so I bought a couple of them. That liberated four climbing roses and four clematis vines from their containers.

Pirl, my gorgeous green clematis that you identified as Duchess of Edinburgh never did turn white. It stayed green for weeks and then dropped dead. I have no idea why, but after I trimmed off all of the dead stuff, it put out a new shoot from the root, so I guess it isn't irrevocably dead.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
8:42 AM

Post #6905164

Good morning ZUzu!
I'm reading this thread with enthusiasm.
Pirls yard is not what I had imagined from the puictures , its a view I had never seen.
I would love to enlarge beds bust it means too much work. I am competetive by nature and have to check myself before I make so much garden I simply cant manage all of it.
Your up-ward view of the Black Walnut and mimosa is such a treat.
I have always liked the long look of a landscape.Here in the east we have those hills and vallys carved out by the ice age.
Makes for some wonderful scenery.
My garden is winding down. Lilies are nearly gone(Casablancas are just blooming) but they are the last. Dhalias are also just starting.Guess its not time to go into a deep dive over the end of summer.
Mums are appearing at HD .Thats always a sign fall is comming.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
9:01 AM

Post #6905168

Hi, JoAnn. Enlarging beds isn't that much work if you take decades to do it. I've been working on the same garden for 25 years now.

I have a nice view of some hills in the distance over my back fence. They're tall enough to have snow on the peaks in winter.

My lilies are also nearly finished and my dahlias started blooming about a week ago. I love dahlias, but so do the gophers, so I don't have as many as I'd like. I have to plant dahlias in cages, which is something of a hassle, so I tend to buy things the gophers don't like quite so much instead.

My begonias are my sign that fall's coming. Here's one of the begonias in bloom now.

Thumbnail by Zuzu

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
9:21 AM

Post #6905174

Thats just beautiful.I love the flower, so showy. I have some in planters on the deck I dont know much about them and doubt I will put them on the deck again.
The flowers drop off and I'm constantil sweeping.
25 years ay a garden ,and it sure shows your talent.
Your view gives you an "all season" look when the hills are snow capped.
I'm noy in a hurry to have the snow experience as we gat up to 100 inches in a season that can start as early as October and end in April.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
11:00 AM

Post #6905248

In the winter we talk about spring and summer and here we are in August talking about snow. I enjoy the snow because we usually don't have enough to satisfy my photographic spirit. The best one was January 19th. I took hundreds of photos and enjoyed every minute being out there. It's the icy winds of winter that are unpleasant but I'll take that over the steamy and sticky climate others endure.

Hey, Sue, the coffee is hot and ready!

Thumbnail by pirl

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
11:02 AM

Post #6905251

That corresponds to our rainy season. We don't get a drop of rain between April and the end of October, but it's almost nonstop the rest of the time. It has only snowed twice here since I moved to Sebastopol, and both times the flakes melted before they touched the ground. So we had the beauty of falling snowflakes without any of the mess or trouble the snow creates. California drivers have enough trouble driving in the rain. I shudder to think what would happen if they had to drive in snow.

I hang my begonia baskets from tree limbs. They appreciate the shade. Those waxy petals could be very slippery on a deck, so it's a good thing you sweep them up right away.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
11:07 AM

Post #6905253

sOOOO Glad you garden divas are up.
I need advise about a new plant.
Actaea Hillside Black beauty.
It grew fine when planted in May.
Even put out new stems .
Now it wilts in 2 days if not watered.
I have stuffed more dirt around it incase it has some bare places in the hole where it was planted.
Does this plant just have a wilting habit?
It wilts all day ,not just afternoon.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009

Post #6905257

Many of us who live way out here, just 14 miles from the ocean, lived in Queens (immediately east of NYC) where almost every plot was outlined to the inch by those horrible metal fences we called Cyclone. Many of us had 40 x 100 or 60 x 100 and for those who had more it was certainly the exception, not the rule. Houses also had "patios" - horrid slabs of poured concrete. I've yet to see a landscape architect insist on a slab of concrete to enhance the home or the gardens. Out here we have no fencing except for the post and rail that's used for vegetable gardens.

One neighbor at the far end of the road, with more money than taste (it happens too often, doesn't it?), had a stone wall installed and it's laughably out of place here.

If I keep looking at the snow pictures I'll be wishing for winter.

Thumbnail by pirl

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
11:12 AM

Post #6905259

Beautiful snowscapes, Pirl.

Sorry, JoAnn, I've never grown Actaea, so I don't know what it does.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6905261

Jo Ann - I've never had the plant but you could add compost, not just soil. If you have those water crystals I'd definitely put a teaspoon in a Pyrex cup (2 cup size) and add 8 oz. of water so the crystals will expand. Give it an hour to work. Then make deep wedges with your trowel and put the reconstituted crystals into the wedges (at the root area) in four or five spots around the plant. Then add compost, water well and see how it reacts. Cover the plant with a damp sheet (or two) of newspaper during the hottest part of the day or shade cloth if you have it.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 4, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6905270

Zuzu, could you post pics of your new arbors, please?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6905274

Thanks, Zuzu.

As for my paths...I love expanding them but don't like the few I ended up with that means the old school rule of "single file" walking. I treat the back yard grass as a nice wide path and enjoy walking with my nice neighbors and viewing the plants. One gal always carries her camera in the hopes I'll be out so she can take photos.

Two weeks ago we gave her two full van loads of daylilies so now she'll have her own.

I'm always amazed at how people can stuff those vans but more amazed that the plants actually get into the earth!

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
11:31 AM

Post #6905292

Yes, we'd love to see Zuzu and JD's new arbors! That clematis is one of those that seems to go black and ugly really fast, Zuzu. I just cut them back to two buds high (sometimes to the ground) and they bounce back fast.

I agree with both Zuzu and JD (I'd be a fool not to!) regarding looking up for eye interest and the beauty of the structure as well as the plants. I'll have to try an arbor sometime. The neighbor who complains of my lack of space installed one and the less said the better. Buying things for the sake of being able to say that you have an arbor (or a specific plant or tree, etc.) is such a waste. I like when people do creative things like actually planting roses and clematis that will grow on the arbor. That impresses me so much more than mere acquisitions.

I guess I could fit one of those Monet rose archways here but it's one area we'd like to delete plants. The roses would love it but it's just more work than I can handle.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
11:37 AM

Post #6905305

Nice pics of the garden pick up area.
Those better not be my DL's
LOL
DD just informed me I obcess too much about moving plants.
I now referr to the end of the garden where the Dahlias are planted, as the "old new part" I will have to move some PeeWee oakleaf hydrangeas because they will be too big for where the DL's are going in the "new end part".
DD says wait until its necessary.
My sences tell me things are getting out of hand.
Thanks for the chrystal advise I'll do it today. We will also have t-showers this afternoon.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6905357

No! They aren't your daylilies, hydrangeas, peonies, etc.

Well, we all may need something to obsess over and it might as well be plants rather than solving the world hunger problems or curing cancer. Plants are so much easier by comparison.

Since Zuzu and JD started the thread on trellises and arbors I've bought 7 more short trellises. I like them more than garden stakes so I indulge myself. This clematis broke free of the constraint on the tree so now it has a trellis to itself. Sorry the photo isn't better!

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6905369

Less than a month ago the exact same area as above had zounds of Asiatic and a few Oriental lilies but now their time on stage has had the curtain call for this year.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #6905389

I am using HD garden edging for large plant cages.
Not as cheap as commercial plant supports but prittier.
Your trellis idea is a good one. Hope for sales starting soon.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6905465

These weren't expensive at all - $12.00. I should have bought more.

Please show us a photo of the HD garden edging for large plant cages.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
1:41 PM

Post #6905603

GF is due for a tour and "sun tea"
I'll try to find an exhistin pix
Found one.
They are black and at the edge of the garden path in front of the bear.
I cant remember what they cost but I doubt I paid more then 10 bucks each.
I'm checking for a sale.They had a few diff. styles as I recall.
The white birch tree cage is a end table base I made for the guest room in the old house.
Boy those were the days.
I could wield a mean cordless drill and tree loppers and prunners.

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6905614

PS its holding in a collection of dahlias
This was a month ago.
It sports the five foot Dahlea now.
ooops wron pic.

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 4, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6905624

one more time.
Sorry folks I'm rushed and it raises the geezer meter quite a bit.

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
1:50 PM

Post #6905634

I like the way you made use of the old end table base. In another month you probably won't even be able to see it with the growth on the dahlias.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6905656

On all my garden plans this structure is called the "asparagus fence". It had lattice in the center until a storm removed it and if anyone has any ideas for a center I'd love to hear them.

When we moved here we didn't have the asparagus plot in place so I planted the asparagus from our former home in this area but the fronds become 4 to 6' tall and were flopping over my plants so Jack made this to keep them in place. After we made the asparagus garden I wasn't about to go back and change the name on my plans so it remains the "asparagus fence". Sort of like, "Turn right where the little red schoolhouse used to be".

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6905661

Last week I bought two blue wine stoppers and knew instantly they'd never be used for wine but for the fence.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6905669

The other side is prettier with all the Black Beauty lilies there.

Thumbnail by pirl

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6905789

Oh I love it! Jewelery in the garden to compliment the blooming jewels!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6905813

Thanks. I love pretty things and adornments that catch the light and the eye. Lately I've been doing a lot of reflections in water photos and they're frustrating but great fun when it works out right.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6905826

This reflection of a Japanese iris is one I liked as well.

Thumbnail by pirl

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6908565

Here's one of the new arbors, Evey (and happy birthday again):

Thumbnail by Zuzu

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6908573

Here's the other. They're exactly alike. There was a white one here before, but it started falling apart and getting rickety. Jose is repairing it so that it can be used in another part of the garden.

Thumbnail by Zuzu

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #6908595

He added lots of rebar to the bottom of the posts so that they wouldn't fall over in a windy rainstorm, which used to happen regularly to the poor white one.

Here's a closeup of the middle panel. Neat, huh?

Thumbnail by Zuzu

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 5, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6908634

Oh, I love those, Zuzu! And thanks for the bday wishes. =)))

I'm going to swing by our Lowe's stores tomorrow and see if they have the same one marked down here. I'm still looking for an arbor to put over the gate between the pool deck and the service area. Did those arbors come pre-assembled or in pieces? I'm thinking I could use the pieces separately, much like I have the 10x10 gazebo broken up as two arches... over the secret garden gate with jasmine and clematis and over the church pew with roses. I could use the two panels of that one from Lowe's positioned sideways to flank each side of the existing gate and then mount the top on extended fence posts directly over the gate.

I'm trying to go through all my photos and find the ones of garden art and the secret garden to post in this forum. I think I need a better system for saving pics on the computer. They're all just by dates and now I have too many to remember when things were photographed. It probably would be faster just to shoot pics again tomorrow rather than searching for the old pics!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 5, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #6908912

Okay, found a few. We have a typical, small suburban lot (75'x150') with lots of the concrete slab that Pirl hates so much! The house is large for the lot, and there's also a pool hogging much of the space in back. So, to make the best use of the little space we have, I have the yard divided into garden rooms... each with a specific and distinct feel. One corner of the back is filled with a high raised bed made with manor stones. It's filled with a post lamp, tellises, roses and scented geraniums. I call it the English Garden. I'm still hunting for a photo of that.

The other corner of the back has been dubbed the Cali Corner. It's filled with a mix-match of many plants... clematis, jasmine, daylilies, roses, Louisiana iris, ajuga, ice plants, Euphorbia, pelargoniums, and sedums. In the center of the Cali Corner is a brick landing that we just made this spring, along with a fish-shaped chimenea that I converted to a fountain. The corner is flanked by large rectangular wrought iron lattice that will one day be covered by Confederate jasmine and crassifolia.

The covered patio just off the pool deck is filled with small, potted succulents. This is the best place for them because the sun comes in sideways at full strength in the afternoon, but the frequent rain doesn't hit them to cause rot.

Between the covered patio and the house is a very large live oak tree and two pink sasanqua trees. Underneath these is a brick courtyard with picture windows looking out from the house. In the courtyard, we have a short wrought iron fence, lots of shade plants underneath the oak, and a small pond with a waterfall. This is one of my favorite places in my yard because of the small wooden deck that goes over part of the pond. When I sit on that deck (yes, cross-legged like a child), it instantly transports me back to my childhood. The rocks in the waterfall are from the Ozarks, where I spent many happy weeks during summertimes with my grandparents. And the sound that the water makes lapping underneath the small deck as the waterfall creates a ripple sounds just like the dock at the cottage where we used to stay. Truly, this tiny spot is instant bliss for me. =)

Between the courtyard and the carport, I converted part of the driveway space into a landing with pavers and placed an old pew. Unfortunately, after almost 30 years outside in our harsh weather, this pew and it's mate (which is in the Secret Garden) are beginning to fall apart. I will probably dismantle them soon, cut down the rotting areas and attempt to put together a smaller version of each with the cypress wood. Annnnyway, flanking this pew is a container garden. There's enough space to drive in and out of the gate and put cars in the carport, but it gives a nice sitting area right outside the courtyard for when we have parties. We typically put the cars outside the gate on the driveway then and use the carport as a serving area, opening up a large lattice gate in the carport right next to the pool deck. This way, it's all opened up for people to move around easily between the driveway, courtyard, covered patio and pool deck.

On the other side of the house, we have a service area for the pool equipment toward the back, and in front of that we have what I call the Secret Garden. The dining area by our kitchen has large windows looking out both directions... to the courtyard and also to the opposite side of the house. In the 50+ years that the house has been here, nobody ever put a single plant on that side of the house! The view from the window was the driveway, blank brick wall and tiny bathroom window of the house next door (not exactly the view I wanted). My son gave me the sweat and labor to make my dreams a reality for Mother's Day one year. Here's a view of the Secret Garden from the entrance:

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 11:00 PM

Thumbnail by BlissfulGarden

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 5, 2009
3:44 AM

Post #6908916

Here's a view from the back of the garden:

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 5, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6908917

Here's a small sunken fountain that is just inside the front gate of the Secret Garden:

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 5, 2009
3:46 AM

Post #6908924

Here's the bubbling birdbath in the Secret Garden:

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 5, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6908931

And here's our sundial that's definitely showing its age. This was the very first piece of garden art that hubby and I bought... when we lived in Married Student Housing on the LSU campus. I'll never repaint it because the wear and tear on it reminds me of all the things we've weathered together too.

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 5, 2009
3:53 AM

Post #6908952

This is what the side yard looked like before the project started:

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 5, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6908954

And here's a pic from when Brad was constructing the entrance gate and arbors:

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2009
4:21 AM

Post #6909036

That sounds like a great idea, Evey. They came in a box in pieces. Not a lot of pieces, just the two sides, the top, and some hardware. The only problem you'd have is if they've run out of everything but the display arbors. Those would be assembled, of course, so you'd have to dismantle them for your design, but that wouldn't take much effort for a lady who does her own plumbing.

You'll have to name your photos or at least put them in separate folders according to categories.

Just as I was about to send this, you started posting your wonderful photos, so I thought I'd wait until you were finished. That Secret Garden is so wonderful, so French Quarter!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 5, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #6909114

Thanks, Zuzu. I need to take some photos when things are in bloom in the SG. Now that I have clems planted and the roses are blooming more, it's a much more colorful view. =)

I'm going to have to speed over to our Lowe's and pray that they still have those arbors! We have three Lowe's stores here and one in Gonzales (about 20 minutes away), so hopefully I can find one tucked away at one of the stores. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: I just checked the online listing for Lowe's and your arbor is showing in stock at all three Baton Rouge locations (yay!), but not showing as on sale yet (boo!).

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 12:29 AM

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #6909245

Well shoot Zuzu, I love that arbor, just the perfect size for a spot I need one too. Now I'll have to check my local Lowes early tomorrow morning before starting work.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2009
6:27 AM

Post #6909257

Hey, Sue, while I was at Lowe's I also bought this cute new furniture for the shady spot under my black walnut tree. Roger and Mambo were enjoying the shade in this location today too.

Thumbnail by Zuzu

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2009
7:35 AM

Post #6909299

ohhh, very nice, I like! Classy looking.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2009
10:00 AM

Post #6909365

Zuzu the arbor is wonderful'
I love the arts and crafts metal insrt.
Rebar saves the day.
I used it on the trellises I bought from Smith Hawken.
Now they are out of business and I cant even buy some of their freestanding trellises and edging.
Kick myself for not splerging when I saw them.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2009
11:17 AM

Post #6909472

Happy birthday, even if it is a bit late.

Zuzu - love that seating arrangement and your arbor. We bought a trellis last year (still waiting to be installed).
This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:49 AM

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:50 AM

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2009

Post #6909478

Nice trellis Pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6909519

Hi:
I took pictures of "Caged Perennials" using objects other than comercial plant supports
Here is the Phlox David in the HD garden edging cage.
I just use black cableties to keep the sides together.
Its hilly there so the hooks thst came with the edging wouldnt stay in place.

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2009
11:45 AM

Post #6909521

This is the birch branch table base I use to keep tall dahlias from flopping over.
This end table had a removable top .
I know some plants are escaping but they are shorter varieties in the 5 bulb collection .
Its "every plant for themselves" back there.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 7:47 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6909542

Great idea for keeping the David phlox standing tall, Jo Ann.

You could tie the dahlias to the table if you think they'd snap off in a wind storm. I can't believe how often I go out to tie mine up again. 'Tis the season where they reach for the sky.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6909640

I'll say.That is my only objection to Dhals.Pot ones and border dahls are fine.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #6909659

I may return to the store where I bought the most recent trellises and buy up their stock. The taller dahlias would look so much better with a trellis holding them up than rebar.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 5, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6909696

Jo Ann, I do the same thing with the alternative uses. The arbors over the entrance gate and the church pew in the Secret Garden above are actually the corner pieces and cross ties of a 10x10 stand alone gazebo that was marked down ridiculously low at Wal-Mart two seasons ago. Rebar stabilizes the one over the pew and black aluminum fence posts stabilize the one at the entrance gate. Now that the climbing roses over the pew have grown much larger, we're going to add the two remaining cross pieces this year from the outer edges of the arbor over the pew to the brick on either side of the kitchen window, so the view will be surrounded by roses. I'm also planning to hang the mosquito netting that came with the original gazebo around our covered patio area. I've been trying to think of a way to make that look attactive and now that I saw that pic of the grape vine arbor surrounding a front porch on another thread, I think I've found just the "extra" I was hoping for. Gotta play around with that after we finish building the front garden!

Here's another recycled piece... a neighbor had thrown out this chimenea and hubby brought it home. I was shocked, as he used to tease me for my trash to treasure efforts. Now he's into the spirit of them! I turned this one into another sunken fountain. The water feeds into the back, spills out of the mouth of the fish, and exits to a basin hidden under the rocks. This pic is from when we had just planted the Confederate jasmine and crassifolia.

Pirl, your trellis is from the same line as Zuzu's arbor. Wouldn't that be funny if everybody here had the same one?!

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 7:54 AM

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2009
2:26 PM

Post #6910007

Very nice.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6912708

Gosh, if everyone gets the same one, we could build a clubhouse in my back yard and read our comic books out there.

That chiminea is fabulous! And the idea of using a fish for a fountain is just great. I love it! I see nice chimineas all the time and never think of buying them. I'm always scared the cats will burn themselves on any outdoor cooking or heating device. This opens up some great possibilities, however.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #6912733

'Cept we need to hire that plumber from LA!

LOL, comic books! Maybe this would fit the bill. :-)

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6912772

...a DG outdoor sleepover at Zuzu's...culminating with everyone singing "Kumbaya"...in their jammies...
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
4:16 AM

Post #6913051

Margaritas for all?
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 6, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #6913100

LOL! That's really ironic that the first thing I read when coming back online is about margaritas. Hubby made some tonight using son's recipe. Unfortunately, he did not realize that Brad's recipe calls for the margarita mix that does NOT have tequila already added. That small detail makes a HUGE difference. I am again able to read (4 hours after my margarita)... =P

P.S. - I am very blissful at the moment.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2009 11:46 PM
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #6913106

LOL !
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 6, 2009
6:19 AM

Post #6913194

Ohhh, forgot to mention... Lowe's had the arbor and the trellis today when I checked, but they're aren't on sale here. Booo! Sue, were they on sale at your Lowe's? I'm too cheap to buy them at full price!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
6:36 AM

Post #6913199

And I slept in too late and then worked all day so couldn't get away, boo hoo. Plus I am leaving for vacation on Sat so can't afford it anyways, so maybe it's not a good idea to even go look.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
7:38 AM

Post #6913239

Excuse me, Ma'am, but didn't you just get back from vacation? What a gadabout you are!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
9:30 AM

Post #6913330

I am going to have another tree cut down and there is talk of moving this bear to the new stump, leaving this one bare ,no pun intended.
I was thinking of a arch or trellis of clematis for the spot.
Any other ideas?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
10:25 AM

Post #6913408

here's the picture

Thumbnail by ge1836

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
10:46 AM

Post #6913428

I love that bear. He looks so good with those poppies. Why is there talk of moving him?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2009
11:08 AM

Post #6913455

Dang! I missed the whole party...again. I'll have to learn to be a night owl.

How about a big honey pot for the bear, Jo Ann?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #6913491

DD mentioned moving her when we agreed to take down another tree.
Since SIL and her will be doing the moving of this 200 pound object, there might be a NO vote in there somewhere.
She is already bent because I am paying someone to come and cut the tree down.
"Cal and I can do it""We have a chainsaw"
I said I didnt think Cal was overjoyed at doing ALL the big jobs around here. "They'll be in, cut the tree down and put it thru the chopper and the driveway cleaned in less than an hour"
The look of relief on his face said it all.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2009
11:26 AM

Post #6913493

I bet! Can't you keep the chips?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
11:30 AM

Post #6913505

I doubt it as Cal likes a clean place.
He is very sweet and doesnt say much but I can tell he is thrilled when the 2 yards of mulch dissapeared into the gardens this spring.
I have 2 yards of compost comming late October,right after the tree comes down. Then I'll be hauling and spreading, Sarah has to do her own beds.
We just dont make enough compost as fast as we use it.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2009
11:32 AM

Post #6913512

We run one way or the other - too much compost or not enough. This is the year of too much so I know what I'll be doing IF the temperature and humidity cooperate.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6913828

I know Zuzu, but DH is making me go on our annual trip to visit his family in Canada. We missed it last year because of our son's wedding. I love it up there but I just got home 2 weeks ago from that last trip with my Mom & brother, I am burnt out of living out of a suitcase, just want to stay home. Plus I don't do stress so well lately and this is staying with my in-laws. ;-)
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 6, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6914385

Pirl, I love that idea of putting a honey pot by the bear! Couldn't you just imagine Pooh-style honey pots planted out with annuals scattered around the flower bed with JoAnn's bear?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6914390

HE! HE!HE!
Cute to be true.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6915649

Sue - enjoy the trip. Where in Canada are you going?

I can imagine lots of different sized honey pots in the garden with Jo Ann's bear!

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:50 AM

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6915833

Straight up north pirl, north of Vancouver. We take a ferry to cross a peninsula and the family live in the small towns of Sechelt & Halfmoon Bay.
This is the view from my sister-in-law's kitchen window, pretty disgusting huh?!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6915930

Oh, Sue. That view even makes up for time with in-laws.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6915984

Sue - it's breathtaking. The things we have to put up with when it comes to family!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 6, 2009
11:39 PM

Post #6916139

I know, woe is me! Then we have to go out fishing in father-in-laws boat, sheesh.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6916178

Agony, pain and suffering. What we women have to endure!
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6916184

OK Sue...you've been having entirely too much fun lately !

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2009
9:45 AM

Post #6917678

Not tooooo bad Sue

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6919083

I know, I gotta do what I gotta do. ^_^
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 9, 2009
8:01 AM

Post #6925211

I'm exhausted tonight, but checking in to say "Howdy doo!" Today, we were busy making more garden space (as opposed to best use of it!). Note to self: Next time you rent a sod cutter, do NOT go for the "junior cutter".

The idea was that I would use the "junior cutter" to cut the sod and hubby and son would do the rolling and removal. We thought we'd get soooo much done today. HAH! "Junior" must mean you have a junior-sized peabrain to choose that one, as it didn't have enough weight in front and therefore bounced me all over the place while trying to keep the blade down. The back and forth of the blade soon became the back and forth of my shoulders and then spread down to the rest of my body. I suspect that to passersby, I looked like I was doing some sort of weird ritualistic dance while traveling up and down my front yard! Unfortunately, the dance must have been a rain dance, as in the middle of the cutting, with sod still not rolled, a sudden rain storm rolled in. Ever tried to roll and lift wet sod? Yeah buddy, I was a popular lady with the kinfolk for choosing today for this project! By the time we were done clearing the sod for a modest 6' x 75' front bed, we all looked like we were ready to enter the pro arena for mud wrestling. If the neighbors didn't think we were insane already, then we have now removed all doubt. =P
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2009
8:31 AM

Post #6925217

I laughed several times as I read your post, Evey, but I think the funniest part of all is your description of a flower bed 75 feet in length as "modest."

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2009
9:47 AM

Post #6925251

sounds like quite a project
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2009
11:23 AM

Post #6925309

We've removed a lot of sod to create our gardens and while it's easy to plan a garden the sod removal is hard work. What are you doing with the sod you removed?

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:51 AM
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 10, 2009
4:13 AM

Post #6928846

I'm definitely aching today! We began the process of leveling everything nicely for the border today, along with some other general gardening. It's been so hot here lately and a few of my newly planted roses are showing the stress... especially a few that got overspray from a neighbor in the corner of the yard (in noon sun... lots of burning).

Pirl, we didn't know anybody who needed sod when we were ready to strip it, so son and I just took the rolls to the collection spot for yard waste. There's a collection spot for natural waste (grass clippings, tree limbs, etc.) that is recycled to new uses. The fill dirt and things like that are used toward coastal restoration. Our old Christmas trees are recycled this way too. Limbs and cut trees are chipped up for mulch to be used in public gardens.

And yes, Zuzu, I guess modest *might* not be the best word choice there! A lot of people were slowing down to see what we were doing today. A garden close to the street (or actually anything that isn't a foundation planting) is not very common in our neighborhood. We had the same kind of gawking going on when we worked on the Secret Garden too. People had looks as they drove by that seemed to say, "Wait, you can use that strip on the side of your house for more than just a woodpile and a fence?!?!" Just wait til we start constructing the accent fence out front...

Pirl, this truly makes me think about your neighbor with the stone fence looking out of place. I am probably that person for our neighborhood! But, I can't be exactly like her. I may not have taste, but I don't have money either! =P
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
11:49 AM

Post #6929395

We had a similar experience here when we had almost all the green meatball shrubs removed at each side of the courtyard to make a rose garden and a Japanese iris garden. The reaction was identical with many neighbors: Flowers? In the front of the house?

Since we're on a corner we have another front side to the house and we stripped all of that grass and made a daylily garden. People always stopped to chat but the actual neighbors were aghast...until they bloomed. Now we've deleted many of the daylilies and may have a dozen left since we planted more Japanese irises and hydrangeas.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #6929530

This is where I just put in DL's 20 plants a conservative count.
Its the new Woodswalk garden.
Neighbors are cool about my going on their lawn to take pix.
They dont garden but always compliment me on the flowers.
They raised 7 kids, no garden time and now her 88 year old mother is living with them.
She is so sweet and askes Ginger (her daughter)"Is that a woman in the garden?" This would be mid winter when she sees the bear statue.

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6929538

woops wrong pic
The DL's from Pirl are along the stone walk and in a semicircle around 6the end of the last stone.

Thumbnail by ge1836

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6930106

All my good dl's came from pirl, so the ones you got should thrive for you !

I still can't wrap my head around properties not being separated by fences or block walls...it's a foreign concept to me. That's the first thing people here do: Fence off their exact boundaries to within a fraction of an inch.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6930146

Such sweet people!

Thumbnail by pirl

BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 10, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6930196

Mike, same here. Most people have fences. Our neighborhood is 50+ years old, and you can bet at least one person who has lived in each house along the way had a dog that needed to be corraled or a pool installed... or both. It's pretty easy to tell which neighbors installed them and which didn't too, because you'll find houses that have three sides of their fence that are three different materials (from the other neighbors who footed the bill).

Pirl, why did you get rid of so many of your DL's? I'm just wondering, as we're about to plant quite a few of them in the front.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6930295

1. Deadheading was a major job - two hours a day in peak season.

2. Deer.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6930472

There is a covenant for this development.
No walls or fences.
The 20 year old spruces are doing a great job as far as privacy goes.
All the neighbors on this end of the road are really great and not uptight about boundries.
The lot is approx 1/2 acre so there is lots of space.
I try to make the view for the neighbor as pleasing as I can and dont go into our hot tub naked duering the day which helps.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6930538

Ha!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 10, 2009
5:30 PM

Post #6930619

GE, so does no one have a pool in your entire neighborhood?

Our lots are small in comparison. We'd feel like we were living on top of our neighbors without some visual break from them. Honestly, I'm glad we have fences here. It provides some solace and peacefulness in the garden, so I can be alone and collect my thoughts in beauty. It just wouldn't feel the same if I was sitting out there looking at my neighbors' cars in their carports behind my gardens!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6930753

I know you asked ge and not me but...for the five built-in pools around here the fenced pools are mainly in the back of the properties. The one property that couldn't have their pool installed in the back (due to being waterfront and short on land at the rear) put theirs in the front surrounded by 10' tall shrubs and it cannot be seen at all.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
6:12 PM

Post #6930781

I know of three pools and they are all in back yards.We are required to fence by law.
Those fences are the exception to the rule.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 10, 2009
7:42 PM

Post #6931115

The laws and safety of surrounding children were my concerns... not privacy. Here, we are required by law to have a 5' or higher rigid fence around our pool. It was quite a problem after Hurricane Gustav because many people lost their fences in the storm (including us). Most of the city didn't have power for two weeks, so hardware stores were either closed or had very limited hours. Fence companies couldn't keep up with the demand and insurance companies were breathing down everyone's neck to cancel coverage if fences weren't erected immediately.

Arlene, your neighbors with pools don't have any protective fencing?
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #6931225

Many of my neighbors have horses, sheep, and other animals you wouldn't want running through your gardens. The lots here are fenced, but I'm the only one in the neighborhood with a fence in front. I have a fairly tall fence on all sides to keep out the deer, not to mention the neighborhood dogs that escape their own yards and decide to frolic in my fish ponds and play tag with my cats.

Even though the other homes here don't have a fence in front, most of them do have fences farther back on their properties to close off their back yards. We have strict leash laws for dogs, and without the fences, the poor dogs would have to be on leashes even on their own property.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6931358

Yes, the pools are all fenced.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:52 AM

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6931395

Our house is in the upper right hand corner of our 1/2 acre lot ,at an angel, no room for a pool and besides the last kid is off to college in Sept.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 10, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6931422

LOL, I wanted a pool for future grandkids and for us! There's nothing more relaxing than floating around in the pool looking at the gardens. And, when I'm feeling particularly lazy, I can exercise in the pool... it's so much easier on my creaky bones than running. I like having a pool at home too because we can jump and dive and do whatever we want without the lifeguard saying "no jumping!" So many public pools have gotten rid of their diving boards due to insurance issues. We moved less than a block from our prevoius home to this one because it had a pool. There was no way to construct one on the lot at our old house without tearing down structures. Though, I suppose in NY with a shorter summer, it might not be worth the effort. We can swim in our pool from April to at least November, and sometimes even later in mild winters. And with the jacuzzi heated, we can use it year round.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6931523

Here most of the pools are heated. One veteran of Viet Nam lost a leg so he uses it for exercise. Another woman has arthritis and was told to swim daily. The rest have kids and/or grandkids. In our town there are more permits issued annually for pools to be filled in than there are for new pools to be installed. My daughter has a lovely pool but since we have no interest in it we've never used it.

My friend, Lynn, had a pool, had it filled in and now has a gorgeous garden.

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2009
9:54 AM

Post #6933609

In ground pools are expensive to maintain.Cleaning twice a year and closing down for the winter plus replacing pumps and chemicals.
My sister had a small one in the house she bought.It would have been $500 per year just for maintenance and chems.She had it torn down.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 11, 2009
3:01 PM

Post #6934227

I've never had a swimming pool, but from knowing people who've had them installed, the novelty of them seems to wear off after a few years.

It always struck me as odd that hotels in Hawaii (among other places ) have swimming pools a hundred yards from the ocean...

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009 8:43 AM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6934426

Here's a collage of our neighbor's house, on the water, and behind the fence in the two photos to the right is the pool. How much closer could they get?

Thumbnail by pirl

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 11, 2009
7:09 PM

Post #6935258

looks like fun

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6960456

just an august collection

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6960459

the rest of them

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6960539

So wonderful to view especially when I've been out sweating this morning - moving more chips, lifting heavy pieces of bluestone, laying chips, planting daylilies, tending potted plants, taking more coleus cuttings.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6960611

I wondered what you have been up to.
Holicow Pirl thats a lot of heavy stuff for this hot weather, be careful.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6960617

Didn't you say you'd come down to help me? LOL

Heading back out now and trying my best to find shady spots to work.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6960626

I'll come down only if we go skinny dipping in the ocean, together - - hand in hand - - - into the surf.
No cameras
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6960633

We'd certainly frighten the summer people away from the shore!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6960635

teee hee
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 18, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6960714

I think that sounds like a wonderful 'Garden Forum' roundup idea... skinny dipping in the ocean! Though, JD may have some difficulty swimming while blindfolded. =P
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 18, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6960734

There actually are clothing optional beaches here in Calif...not that I've ever been to one !

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6960737

ohhhh
surrrre
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6960864

...but have you peeked?
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 18, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6960931

Yes, eons ago...and it wasn't pretty !

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6960952

We are fed on too many airbrushed bodies.
It would be refreshing to see a normal person with sags and lumps.
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
11:08 AM

Post #6967675

Good Morning all. Pirl told me this was a nice place for garden chat! I've been to her garden and believe you me, it's beautiful! She lives in a lovely area that I had actually considered moving to many years ago.
I wish I could spend more time in my garden. I adore being out there. If I could add more full sun areas I would as I don't have enough to enjoy a big vegetable garden. I currently have a few raised beds only. My town has HUGE oaks everywhere, so most of us have part sun gardens. Here's a good shot of my backyard from last year. I've been bad with taking them this year.

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
11:10 AM

Post #6967682

Beautiful
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #6967684

Lovely trumpet vine.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
11:18 AM

Post #6967696

So very nice to see you here, Anita! Your garden is lovely. My dream would be dappled shade all over except for the vegetable garden.

For the last few weeks I've been working in both shady and sunny spots but now I'm down to jobs in full sun. Jack tells me the weight I keep losing is "water". Well, that's 13 pounds of water! My moniker should be Gunga Din.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009

Post #6967699

I had to pitch a couple of plants from my tubs at the front door.
The ornamental pepper was a big disapointment and the nicotenis "citrus" was a real nothing
Fall mums are in now so I planted a pleasent yellow with Dexter coleus and Lemon Sunsation

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6967702

We should have a thread on the most disappointing plants we had this year and the companies we bought them from as a possible warning to others.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
11:44 AM

Post #6967778

Goody I'll start one
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6967821

Great! I'll look for it.

Here it is: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1029419/

"Most disappointing plant this year" is the title.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #6967878

Yep.I looked at it and since I like to paint plants that are fading I might paint that one.
It would look good about 14 inches square
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #6967944

Your cream Echinacea?

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
12:48 PM

Post #6967958

Sorry
A Geezer moment

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6967989

You certainly must have the gift of the artist's eyes.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
1:00 PM

Post #6967997

It starts to crank up about now.
I'll start some new paintings about the end of September when we have the heat on more.
Its hard to paint when the paper is so damp from being in the humid basement.
venu209
Jersey Shore, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #6974937

Wow Jo Ann, I can see that in a watercolor of yours. I love your work!
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 22, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6975672

Y'all may want to make use of your garden space with roses. I just posted this over in the Roses forum... Ashdown is closing operations. All roses are on sale for $5.95 each. Here's a link to the other post:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1030071/

and here's a link to their site:

http://www.ashdownroses.com/

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6975789

Wow wish we had better luck with them.
BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA

August 22, 2009
2:53 PM

Post #6975803

Same here. I ordered the 13 cultivars that I had been considering for a while. I always have to pot theirs up and wait a while before putting them in my garden, but they have some Kordes roses that I can't find elsewhere. At $5.95 each, it's somewhat like when we all went nuts for the minis at Nor'East... I still have those in pots as well. They will be ready for the garden in time, and it's certainly easier than trying to find cuttings to root my own!
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
5:32 AM

Post #7003707

Speaking of vines (we were, weren't we?), my Podranea's blooming season has begun.

Thumbnail by Zuzu

Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2009
5:33 AM

Post #7003708

And here's a really cool Dahlia.

Thumbnail by Zuzu

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
9:04 AM

Post #7003822

Beautiful ZuZu.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #7004050

just 1 collage today.
individual plants are going out of bloom so here are some longer views
Sorry its soo gloomy here

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #7004153

You have the prettiest Podranea, Zuzu, and the dahlia is lovely. Plants with two colors are my favorites.

What a lovely entrance you have, Jo Ann!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #7004183

thanks Pirl
I keep forgetting to water those containers.
I always just head to the deck in the back off the kitchen where most of the containers are.
This is what I see from where I camp on the dek

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #7004185

the deck containers

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #7004187

around the corner toward the kitchen door

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #7004190

last one

Thumbnail by ge1836

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #7004240

I don't head to the front often enough either, Jo Ann. I've made it easier now by just putting out a sprinkler in the courtyard and leaving it on for an hour at a time, moving it to get the attached brick planters so I'm not standing in the hot sun watering.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #7004263

Gorgeous dahlia!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7004495

Are you talking about my dahlia? Polly
Im was disapointed in that collection. Many white ones and about two that were interesting.The tallest one is over six feet
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #7006299

I was talking about Zuzus, but yours are lovely too Jo Ann. I just was really attracted to the purple color.

Where did you get the collection Jo Ann?
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
7:36 AM

Post #7007439

Hi Pirl!!! finally I have some time to look for your posts... I miss you woman!!!

I still have a lot of grass to kill... can't believe it... but I also do some containers...
I am still very dumb regarding gardening... this year I planted 5 hydrangeas, and definitely added perennials as companions for the roses trying to fill in the spaces I left when I planted roses... can't extend my beds... but I amo ok with that...
I also used pine needles as mulch. The roses like it... so glad.
I
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
7:38 AM

Post #7007441

oops I wanted to post a pic... here it goes... Pirl you should recognize this one...

Thumbnail by Kassia

Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
7:40 AM

Post #7007443

my favorite spot this year

Thumbnail by Kassia

Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
7:40 AM

Post #7007444

Good night everyone... time to go to bed...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America