Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: NEED ADVICE ON WATERPROOFING SOME PEGBOARD "COOKIES" ASAP!

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 3, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2009
8:42 AM

Post #6896702

I've cut out some tempered pegboard into 11" circles and I need them to be completely sealed so water won't destroy them for at least 6-8 months. They will be the base in an eBucket veggie planter (Veggie Gardening Forum) that will be filled with potting soil that stays consistently damp.

I bought a gallon of Drylock that I was told will waterproof them adequately, if I dip each circle and hang to dry. Please advise proper technique for dipping and drying them that will ensure the peg holes remain open after several coats (2-3) are applied, and that all surfaces are covered.

I considered filling a large enough container with the Drylock and just mashing the "cookie" down until the Drylock was forced up through the peg holes. Then, how should I stand it, or hang it up, or lay it down to drip dry so there's no pinhole created? The slightest pinhole anywhere in the finish would allow water to get in and cause the "cookie" to crumble -- literally!

I thought about hanging them on a paperclip to drip dry, but anything through a peghole wouldn't allow a watertight seal at that point. I could tie a thin thread through one peghole before I dip it, then hang it up to drip dry, and Once it did, just snip the thread off. I also considered laying them down flat on a couple nails coming up through a piece of wood. There'd be that pinhole, where the nailtips touch the "cookie," but then I could go over that area with the roller.

Please advise soonest.

Thanks!

Linda

Please hurry your replies.

Thanks!

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 3, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6901313

You might want to consider using Thompson's water seal instead. It's meant to soak into wood to form a protective barrier to moisture. It won't make any difference how you hang it to dry since it soaks in and doesn't sit on the surface. Just make sure you soak the disks long enough to penetrate well. The big box stores the HD or Lw"S sell trashcans large enough to fit your cut outs.

Edited for Spelling...

This message was edited Aug 3, 2009 11:55 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6902473

Thanks, Jkochan!
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

August 3, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6902604

I have a set of "Painter's Points". Swap sides between coats and allow to dry before the re-dipping.

You could make your own jig, as you said, with 3-4 nails through a piece if heavy cardboard, no need to use a piece of wood. That way the drips won't matter.

Three works like a tripod.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America