Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: Bullet box?

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 18, Views: 182
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6897621

Found homemede "bullet box" in storage...kinda neat!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 2, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6897624

guess pic didn't go thru...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #7136909

What an enterprising and ambitious soul that made that box. Do you still have it where you would put your eye on it? What does the head of the brass hull have marked on it? Are any of those bullets still loaded or only the brass?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #7137223

Thought none were loaded, but found one! Yikes!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2009
5:10 PM

Post #7137516

Looks like maybe a half dozen there that are loaded. WRA means Winchester Repeating Arms Company was the ammo manufacturer. They still load 38-55 cartridges although it is an older caliber. Pretty neat.

Not to worry, the loaded rounds won't hurt anything. If you are uncomfortable with them, find a friend that likes guns or a gun shop and ask them to dispose of the loaded rounds safely.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #7137531

What does UMC stand for? that's on some of them...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #7137551

Union Metallic Cartridge Co. which is now a trademark name used by Remington. Will have to ask DH but Remington may have always used that name.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2009
5:53 PM

Post #7137692

Thanks! Appreciate the info.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7137757

DH said in early days, UMC was not Remington but a trade name acquired at a later date. I don't believe Rem is still loading this caliber. Winchester is but hasn't used the WRAC marking for a while. Not sure we can provide a time frame though. Thanks for sharing.

There appeared to be some writing on the lid? Can you read it?
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #7138061

Across the top of the inside? Written in pencil, probably by whomever sold it, in order of words...
Nice...Looks...Old...Box
or
Nic...Cook's...Old...Load
Doesn't look like my aunt's writing. Had to guess at all but "old" in the sequence.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #7138556

Hmmm... I was actually wondering if someone had reloaded the brass and had their loading data written there.

As the fired hulls have been saved I would guess the owners intention had been to reload.

Did your Auntie ~ hunt, shoot, own a rifle, have a spouse maybe? LOL
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #7142817

Cable went out last night...no TV or Internet, so I couldn't respond.
As for aunt...she was a Sou. Baptist spinster...probably nevah touched a weapon in her life!
I found two of the casings had "stuff" in them. Rolled paper in one, and looks like wax in other. I was in the process of removing the paper from one when DH walked in and stopped me. 'Said it probably was holding gun powder in...and then I got a lesson on how a bullet works...sigh...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #7142888

I noticed from your second photo that some of the hulls had primers which had never been fired. Me thinks you found a reloaders stash. They can be a touch peculiar and the bullet box would be something a reloader might make in the good old days.

Sounds like your Auntie was a rounder if she gathered all your treasures in just one lifetime! 8 )
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #7142940

Everything she had, she bought at estate sales and garage sales from the late 60's to early 80's. Mostly inexpensive things at the time. 'Quirky stuff like old crocks that still had corn cobs for stoppers, and graniteware (one dipper had a piece of canvas stuck in a small hole so it could still hold water). She read a lot, and had lots of antique guides and books. 'Was a secretary for an oil company that didn't have a retirement plan. She planned to have a shop to support herself after retirement. Right before she retired, they offered retirement plan. She got sick in mid 80s and stopped buying.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2009
1:34 AM

Post #7142967

I have seen you post many photos of her wonderful treasures. I love the older items that most would consider junque. When I look at a vintage item that was patched to keep using it, I always wonder about the luxuries we live with today. How soft we've become and what a disposable society.

When we had the 2nd hand store, we would see vintage items patched or one piece of furniture made out of two commonly called a "married piece". You will see it frequently on older firearms where a repair was made to the stock or maybe using an old silver coin cut in half to replace a damaged sight. I have a favorite chair that was refinished by someone else in 1958. New rungs had been hand whittled. I refinished and reglued it in 1988. Nine more years and I might let someone else redo it next time.

At any rate, the old and patched pieces seem to speak to me telling of a harder time and more determined people.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2009
3:09 AM

Post #7143246

I'd love to see your chair. Sounds like a real treasure. And I bet you'll do it yourself again when it needs another refurbishing.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2009
4:11 AM

Post #7143439

No, once was enough but maybe by then I'll give it to one of my stepchildren. Sometimes I can tempt them and make room for something different ~ LOL
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #7144304

Well...I gave my daughter lots of things when she married...furniture, china, linens, etc. Ten yers later, she's still returning stuff. The latest is a ship's hatch that DH made into a coffee table. Her 'decorator' said the shape no longer went with her new liv.rm. furniture. Most things, I don't care about...but I loved that table...and I'm moving something else out to put it back into our gameroom.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #7146227

Great to get the ships hatch table back. Usually if it was something one would like to have back, they would have "passed" it on. We have friends that have a ships hatch door made into a coffee table. They have had it since the mid 70s and although it matches nothing in their home, (he's a railroad nut) they love it. I think it is quite unique.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America