Photo by Melody

Article: Got Milkweed? Attracting Monarch Butterflies to Your Garden: Monarchs

Communities > Forums > Article: Got Milkweed? Attracting Monarch Butterflies to Your Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Got Milkweed? Attracting Monarch Butterflies to Your GardenReplies: 2, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gardeningnurse
North Manchester, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6899976

A couple of years ago I found several catapillars and chrysalis among my flowers. I put them in a jar and sent them home with my grandson. The pic is of him looking at one of the emerged Monarchs. They had about 3 that year. Only one time did I hatch one. The temp was not above 60 and the poor thing did not fly away, but stayed on my husband's shirt. I put him back in the jar, opened but protected for the nite. The next day he stayed on my hand as i carried him out to the butterfly bush and he happily drank the nectar. He flew around the yard for awhile until finally flying around my head and was off. Now every year, my grandson seems to find the catapillars and has watched several begin a new life. Another reason to love gardening! Thanks for your article. Danna

Gardeningnurse
North Manchester, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2014
3:59 PM

Post #9802893

Just adding the pics. These are from 2009

Thumbnail by Gardeningnurse   Thumbnail by Gardeningnurse   Thumbnail by Gardeningnurse      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2014
4:22 PM

Post #9802906

Good for you! It's a fun thing to watch. I mostly get black swallowtails and those are pretty fun to raise too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Got Milkweed? Attracting Monarch Butterflies to Your Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful! kniphofia 5 Aug 19, 2008 11:54 PM
wonderful information cathy4 3 Aug 19, 2008 9:34 PM
Great Article Marna (Mrs. Ed)! Marilynbeth 2 Aug 19, 2008 7:42 PM
Great phicks 3 Jul 15, 2009 2:34 AM
Thanks! Zone7_NJ 1 Aug 25, 2008 1:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America