Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: refrigerator pickles

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 9, Views: 163
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2009
11:17 AM

Post #6900823

has anyone made refrigerator pickles. I have cucumbers coming in a few each day, so I was wondering if I could make up the brine and add cucumbers as they come ?
laura
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 3, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6903226

I have a recipe for freezer pickles that might work. http://davesgarden.com/cookbook/viewentry.php?rid=1150
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #6912807

Cukes will keep well for a few days in the fridge.. I have good luck putting them in a zip-top bag that I ventilate by stabbing a fork through the sides of the bag a few times.

I put my favorite refrigerator pickle recipe in this article I wrote last summer on cucumbers: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1587/

If you don't brine the cucumbers in the salty ice bath, you'll need to use a brine with a bit of salt added.
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
10:37 AM

Post #6913422

thanks critter , great article!
laura
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6913554

I realized I didn't quite answer your question, though... If you use a regular brine (with salt), then you can definitely add more cukes to a jar in the fridge. Since it's in the fridge, the salt is probably not critical. Or, I suppose you could brine each addition.

I make quick sweet cucumber slices like my mom did (maybe 2 parts cider vinegar to 1 part sugar, sometimes a little seasoning, sometimes not), and you can just take some out and add more sliced cukes to those over the course of a week... you'll know when the juice of the cukes has watered down the brine enough that you need to start over.
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6914205

thanks !
Joyous
Himrod, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6914521

Hey Jill, sounds like a great recipe. What about substituting Splenda for the sugar? Any thoughts. I just did some bread and butter that way and did my DMIL's recipe with Splenda but have not tasted them.

Joy
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6915121

No thoughts one way or another on it, but please let us know how they turned out with the Splenda!
sreiter37
Calabasas, CA

September 11, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #8093506

Kirby pickles: washed (4 lbs)
Gallon glass jar
of container of pickling spice on the bottom of jar
1 head or chopped garlic on bottom of jar
Dried Crown Dry dill covering bottom of jar 3 finger oz. In plastic sandwich bag cut 1 inch snips
Boil water (or distilled) let cool ( not hotter than luke warm)
2 1/2 oz. (weight) kosher salt add boiling water so as to devolve the salt first
fill jar with pickles
pour salt water in
add clove of garlic to top
of pickling spices to top
completely cover top of pickles with more dill
add water, leaving inch from the top

to make cure faster leave in sun 1 to 2 days ( take inside at night)

if rusty lid place wax paper under lid

if not salty enough add 1 tablespoon of salt to juice at a time. mix until dissolved , then back into jar

if not spicy enough, add black pepper corns

lasts a year...until the new batch is made.

my dad's recipe. He did it every year for 40 years i'm aware of
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 17, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #8104855

thanks so much it sounds like a good one !

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America