Photo by Melody

Article: Easy bird netting frame for your blueberries: Birdnetting

Communities > Forums > Article: Easy bird netting frame for your blueberries
bookmark
Forum: Article: Easy bird netting frame for your blueberriesReplies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
finnjan
Port Angeles, WA

August 3, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6901648

My concern about birdnetting is this: If it is soft, will the birds get caught in it? While I'm all for protecting my berry crop from the birds, I'm not keen on the idea of birds getting caught in the netting. I've heard some sad tales about people having to remove dead birds from their protective netting before getting to pick their berrie crop. If the netting is stiff enough so that birds could perch on it, but also could leave of their own accord, that would be great. Do you think the netting you are using will protect the berries and the birds??

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 10, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6928418

A valid concern--I have had a bird get a leg caught in this net. I have seen a few birds get under the net and have trouble finding the way out again, but get out unhurt. I'd suggest that net users check the net at least daily for trapped or tangled birds. It may be helpful to be sure the net is tight to the ground so birds don't get underneath and struggle to find the way out again. I have not had a bird get tangled on the outside of the net.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Easy bird netting frame for your blueberries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
First year grower of blueberries pamsaplantin 7 Aug 1, 2009 2:07 AM
Great Idea rentman 1 Jul 26, 2009 3:36 PM
Frame will hold frost blankets too! Katlian 2 Jul 27, 2009 1:02 AM
PVC so versitile and REuseable! pixilated 1 Jul 27, 2009 12:28 PM
bird netting CindyLewis 1 Jul 27, 2009 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America