Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Water Gardens: Greening pond and algae

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 11, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dardee4
(Darla) Dubuque, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 3, 2009
3:30 PM

Post #6901656

All summer long my pond has been clear. This past week it has turned green and I need some advice on what to do. I have pond lettuce and use barley extract. I also use algefix. I have noticed that alot of my lettuce has died or my Koi has takin to eating it. I went to my local nursery and they are out of lettuce for the year. Any suggestions on where I can purchase more? I have been told that it could be from the rain we have been getting. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Darla
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 3, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6902092

This place sells it online

http://www.tricker.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7126936

I fought alge and green water for 2 years because of way more rain than we normally get. I saw someone who posted they bought a cheap pillow took part of the stuffing and ran the water as it spilled out waterfall into a pillow case where they had placed the stuffing and it cleaned up their pond.

That wouldn't work for me so I took a pillow and took out part of the suffing wrapped the stuffing around my pump that is in the pond. To keep the stuffing from floating away, I bought the netting to keep birds off of fruit trees and tied that around the pump covered with stuffing. It worked extremely well. My fish are doing good, the only problem now is the water is so clear you can see everything... Caution if you do this especially if the pond is really bad the stuffing will get dirty and clog really quickly and you will have to change it alot in the beginning. If you can figure out how to put the stuffing somewhere else than around the pump it would be better. But my DH who never comments on anything commented on how clear the water was and how much fun it was to watch the fish now.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #7140492

Do you have a UV light? That will kill any algae you have. You can get them at Lowes in the garden section where they sell ponds.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2009
5:33 AM

Post #7150293

My UV light doesn't kill the string algae-does it yours Mary? I have crystal clear water but also algae. String and regular algae. My light is the right size for the flow and the amount of water in my pond.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 10, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #7154398

I don't have string algae (I'm not sure why) so I assumed the UV light was maybe working on that too? No clue...I also don't have any rocks inside the pond, they are all rubber lined with cement capper blocks, but no actual rock work or plants in soil around the edges. I wonder if that has something to do with it?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #7157392

I had string algae it was horrible. I would try to pull it out which didn't work obviously, but the batting around the pump took care of all of that. It is amazing.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 11, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #7157489

My pond is 7 years old and for the first 4 years I battled with algae and one time I was very discouraged.I bought algaefix and other solutions offered at the pond store . I have some good news, the last 3 years I am proud to tell you that I did not have any problem. i do however put hydrogen peroxide, salt and baking soda occasionally. My pond is so clear you can count rocks at the buttom of the pond!!! Happy ponding!!! Belle
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

October 11, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #7158119

I also tend to keep my salt level a little high.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2009
6:55 PM

Post #7158235

Sadly, UV's have no effect on string algae. They work only on the "pea soup" algae. I use Aquascape's SAB Extreme for string algae control. The combination of the UV and the Aquascape keeps my water crystal clear. I do cover about 40% of the pond surface by mid summer with plants to reduce the sun on the water which fuels algae growth. Also I'm careful not to overfeed. And, or course, the koi love hanging around under the plants.

(Hi Ya'll! I havn't been around for while. We sold our business. I've been taking a Landscape Design Course plus volunteering at the local botanical garden. Kinda busy. )

This message was edited Oct 11, 2009 2:57 PM
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #7158436

Good for you Snapple on the business and the class. I haven't been around a lot either but suspect I will this winter when I can't garden or play with the fish . . .
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

October 11, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #7158723

Now the business is sold, you have more time to do stuff that you love!!! Garden design class sounds exciting!! Belle

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America