fencing suggestions

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

I didn't know what forum to put this in, so I'll try here first. I figure you guys should know about fencing! I'm not a farmer ... I live in deer country and we have a 40 x 90 foot area that we turned into a garden (mostly flowers and some veggies) with a fence around it. The fence is 6 feet high and unfortunately the holes are rather large so now rabbits can get in -- that's one problem (do rabbits eat tomatoes--something is ...)

But the worst problem for me is that we have an unusually large number of birds visiting our yard and we have lost some because of our fence -- it seems the wire is a smaller diameter than chain link and in certain lights the birds don't seem to see it and break their necks -- this is horrible. I need a solution to this -- it's not like its hundreds of birds dying but the occasional cedar waxing or catbird dying because of our fence is not acceptable to me. I've been trying to grow stuff up the fence but it is slow going. Does anyone have a suggestion short of replacing the whole 40 x 90 foot fence, which my husband is not too happy about! It's hard to find 6 foot fencing in the first place. It was a lot of work putting it in and its stapled to cedar posts. If we have to, that's what we'll do though, piece by piece ... any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here's an idea of what the garden looks like - multiple flower beds and veggies in the back ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Richmond, TX

To warn the birds you can try tying strips of rag or plastic in the fence to flutter in the wind - not too scenic, I'm afraid. To keep little critters out a 6" high hot wire just outside the existing fence might work. The deer can jump over the whole thing if they want though.

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Deer have not been a problem -- too much inside for them to risk jumping and there's plenty to eat outside (apple trees) ... but the small critters have been awful this year ... I thought of tying something through the fencing, but like you say -- not too scenic! Thanks ...

Anza, CA(Zone 8b)

No advice here for your fence woes, but I wanted to say I think the garden is too beautiful! It looks so peaceful!
Ok, maybe I do have an idea-those garden flags that are usually suspended on flagpoles-maybe you could secure them here and there along the fence? Decorative, but with enough movement to dissuade the birds?

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you -- I am looking for ideas of what to put there -- I was thinking of twining grapevine around the worst area or tying some of that plastic plant tape on the fence ... nothing seems that satisfactory though ... I'm also thinking of putting up different fencing on top of the current fencing ...

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

There are rolls of flash tape... metallic shiny ribbon that is easy to string along the whole fence. You could also just spray paint the fence white, I think. I'd try a small section to see if it dissolved the fence... it's plastic, yes? Not as invisible as the black, but that is the point. =0)

http://www.groworganic.com/item_PBR270_Bird_Scare_Tape__Silver_Mylar_50.html?welcome=T&theses=5371273

Lots of things eat tomatoes... I hear ground hogs will and that could account for the big holes in the fence.

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Jayryunen -- I think you mistunderstand me ... there are no critter-made holes in the fence, the fencing itself is widely spaced -- as a city person I didn't realize how many critters could squeeze in through those holes (including rattlesnakes) ... The fence is probably galvanized steel but narrow gauge ... I need to make the fence more visible -- the wires are thin and invisible to the birds in certain lights ... I don't know if painting them would help, but it might be worth a try!

You can see the fence behind the poppy in this picture ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous poppy!
And OH! about the fence. LOL That looks like what they call kennel wire out here; I think painting it white would help, and because it's rigid, you could just use a roller to apply it. A nice high grade exterior latex might suffice, but you could also check with some professional house painters and see what they say... I recall that there is a polyvinyl primer which is even better? Of course, these days I've got very bad CRS... =0)

Richmond, TX

If the fence is galvanized, the paint will stick better if you rinse the fence with a vinegar solution before rolling. It will be more attractive (and visible) than adorned with fluttering rags!

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm liking the painting idea -- I'll try it out on a small patch ... I never would have thought of it myself -- thanks guys!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Let us know if it works!
Good Luck... =0)

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Too rainy to paint this weekend -- here's a garden picture instead ... still getting used to my new camera ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Beautiful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images