Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Pushki: Oopsie...

Communities > Forums > Article: Pushki
bookmark
Forum: Article: PushkiReplies: 8, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
valdev
Boise, ID
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6906436

i never knew cow's parsnip might cause blisters - i dug some up a couple of years ago from our place in the mountains, and planted them in some shady, well-watered spots in my garden down here in boise. i wanted something BIG and DRAMATIC, yet very cold hardy, in my shady areas. so far, though, they haven't gotten especially big, nor have they bloomed. maybe they need a few years to recover from the trauma.

i see them, and brush past them all the time up in the mountains. sure hope my son doesn't come running in some day with a rash. luckily, though, i've planted them in areas that people don't normally walk through.

interesting to know about the medicinal uses. i wonder if i might save some of the seeds and use them for headaches. i'll have to look at some of my medicinal herb books to see how that works :)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2009
5:19 AM

Post #6909160

Hi Valdev,
You might be right, and they might just need some time to recover from having been moved. I don't remember ever knowing anyone who was affected by pushki, no skin rashes or blisters, and I hope it doesn't happen to your son. Often though, we never know until it is too late.

I think the plant is prettiest just before it blooms, when it is forming the rosettes. But then it is pretty too, when those big clusters of flat white blooms spring forth. I hope by next blooming season yours have taken hold and surprise you. Maybe you'll remember and let me know.

Thanks for writing...We had one of those major thunderstorms tonight and I was without electricity for about 6 hours. Thought sure it was a tornado...then I realized it was August, tornadoes in August?? Crazy weather, that's for sure.
Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6909942

Sharon, you Lucky Lady! A Thunderstorm?! Wow... Do you know how long it's been since we have heard any thunder? And, of course, since we've seen rain...The first rainfall we have, I'm going to go outside & let the raindrops splatter my face! (I have to say, I don't envy you without electricity for 6 hrs.; something happened on our block last week which cut the electric power off for about 2 hrs. & it got pretty warm in here.) We got out flashlights & candles to be able to see, but it got so hot in our house that night that we all went out to the backyard. One of our teens decided to light the chiminea for light, but it was more like a bonfire! Then he was just going to 'read by the firelight' when... the power came on, and he says,"Awwww" ---he was having Fun! So I said, "You can stay out here and read by the fire"...and so he did!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6910003

Yes, we needed it, but it was so hot, it was steaming and the house was, well, think sauna.

I can't send you the rain, sorry, but I can send you the image...
This was taken from my car, when I was trying to get back home right in the middle of it!

Obviously I made it intact, so all is well.

Fun story..reading by candle light.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Petalpants
Corpus Christi, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6910197

Oh, Sharon...those black clouds look ominous! If I'd seen that while on the road, well I probably wouldn't have gone the speed limit! Ha!! I like gray rain clouds full of rain, not sceeery black evil-looking ones! >:[
My nephew (14) : "Know what we need to get alot of rain?" Me: "What...prayer?" Him: "A Hurricane!!" ( He has never been thru one or he wouldn't have said that!) Tropical storms are o.k. because there's a little wind & lots of rain, but a hurricane is something else; I've been thru several and they are not fun.)
valdev
Boise, ID
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7739417

Hi Sharran,

i just found my list of posts here on dave's list - lol... couldn't find them before, so didn't know you'd replied.

well... here it is 2010, and 2 of the cow's parsnips are still alive. the one in front of the house, which gets morning sun and afternoon shade, is larger but not huge, while the one i planted next to our hazelnut tree/shrub and gets AM shade/PM sun, is still small but healthy looking. neither have bloomed yet.

good to hear you don't know anyone who's gotten a rash from them. even as just foliage, they're very attractive and lush looking :D
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7743243

Good for you, Valdev!!!
Here's hoping they'll bloom for you this year!

Thanks for letting me know, I enjoy hearing from you.
valdev
Boise, ID
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7888737

hi sharran, thought i'd come back and let you know my pushkis/cow parsnips are blooming finally - both of them! now i'm wondering if they're the type of plant that dies after blooming, or how easily they reseed. haven't been able to find out much about that. i'll try to upload my pics of them. :)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2010
8:50 PM

Post #7889542

Hi Valdev...
Great!!! I really want to see photos.

Not sure, but I think they reseed.
I guess we'll know next year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pushki Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Another great lesson! adinamiti 18 Jul 29, 2009 2:42 AM
cow parsnip daphnep 1 Jul 28, 2009 2:12 PM
Nice Article Old Memorys phicks 1 Jul 28, 2009 9:56 PM
old plant is new to me Dollykat 3 Jul 28, 2009 6:53 PM
Wonderful.... Chantell 1 Jul 28, 2009 6:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America