Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plumerias: plumies not blooming cuttings vs seed grown

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 4, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2009
7:34 PM

Post #6906834

okay moved them to full sun. saw one at a nursery was root bound and everything but in full bloom. in shade too

nursery said it was grown from a cutting.

okay some have told me seeds take a lot longer to bloom.(mine are like 5 or so). how long does a cutting take to bloom?

my have Y d and have leaves and stuff just never bloomed. thanks
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 4, 2009
7:48 PM

Post #6906884

If yours branched, chances are that it bloomed at some point or at least started to bloom and maybe aborted -- unless it was a seedling and nubbed. Cuttings can bloom while rooting if taken from a flowering tree, or they can bloom shortly after being rooted -- i.e., a season or two if all their needs are met.

Seedlings, on the other hand, can take years and years to bloom for the first time. I'm still waiting on some six-year-olds. I know someone that waited 20 years for a seedling to bloom. They say the average length of time is 3-5 years for a seedling.

There are some cultivars that will bloom every year no matter what. 'Celadine' is like that. The nursery probably has one that is a reliable bloomer.

Make sure your plumeria is getting full sun, plenty of water and fertilizer, and good drainage. After that, all you can do is wait. If you are getting impatient for blooms, call Carol at Florida Colors Nursery and ask her to send you a grafted plumeria that has an inflo on it. I'm sure she'll be glad to help you out.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 5, 2009
4:07 AM

Post #6908995

its in full sun no shade at all all day. plenty of rain this past week as it rained every day.

these are grown from seeds. no flowers as of yet. ever year i wait and nothing. impatient i am hehe

ok will see about getting a cutting from a flowering tree or an inflo what ever that is.

the one at the nursery was yellow flowered with white on the edges and smelled wonderful.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 5, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6910830

Hi Imzadi, an inflo is an inflorescense -- i.e., flower stalk. A nub is what seedlings send out in place of a flower stalk when it is not ready to bloom yet. I still have six-year-old seedlings sending nubs out, and I'm in a fairly ideal zone for plumerias. That can be very frustrating and is the reason that I discourage seed sowing for the average grower. If you have the space -- one seedling takes up a tremendous amount of room eventually -- and the patience, then that is great.

I am leaving the seed sowing to people like Luc of Florida Colors Nursery and Kukiat in Thailand, both of whom have lots of land and patience to grow out seedlings. Remember that oftentimes thousands of seeds have to be sown to come up with a unique flower. Those hybridizers have the courage and the wisdom to destroy inferior trees when the seedlings produce flowers that are not worth saving.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 6, 2009
3:10 AM

Post #6912791

i have the room a couple acres for them so not a biggy but just want to see them bloom. when i started this project i fell in love with them and could only find seeds. if i had known about cuttings back them i surely would of went that way if i knew they would bloom quicker. so guess i will look into cuttings. thanks

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America