Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Tomato leaves turning purple?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 84
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
acappella
Redmond, WA

August 6, 2009
8:38 PM

Post #6915470

Something is affecting my tomato plants. The outer edges of the leaves are turning purple, then drying out and dying.

Thumbnail by acappella
Click the image for an enlarged view.

acappella
Redmond, WA

August 6, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6915476

The undersides of the leaves look OK except for the veins turning purple in the same area that the top of the leaf is turning purple.

I'm afraid it's a virus, since it's only affecting one set of plants, and not another set that's on the other side of the house.

Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by acappella
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JulieQ
Bella Vista, AR
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6916508

This is happening to the leaves on marigolds and gerbera daisies at my friend's house. I think I read somewhere that it could be a sign of a mineral deficiency. I would like to know the answer as well.
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #6921456

Purple coloration in tomato plants is often associated with a lack of phosphorus. Climatic conditions may be a factor as well (e.g. excessive moisture, cool weather).
annabelle790
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6922089

I just noticed this on my corn this morning. Just the outer edges on some of the new growth. Do you think it could be the same thing?
Gardengrowerdee
Pittsburgh, PA

August 12, 2009
1:50 AM

Post #6936698

Need help with tomato plants it's like there rotting but there still green maybe some type of fungus herd about it on the news but not sure.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America