Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: Are these zucchini?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 18, Views: 219
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6919205

I bought zucchini plants this year as I was running behind on getting my garden planted. They were all supposed to be the long dark green zucchini.

About half of the plants are producing these odd-shaped fruit, and there are three colors, too. Each one starts out as either light green, dark green or striped, and they don't change color as they get bigger. Each color is from a different plant. The plants sure look like bush zucchini. My daughter says they are gourds, but I've never seen bush-type gourds, only vine gourds.

Karen

Thumbnail by glendalekid
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jim41
Delhi, LA

August 7, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6919603

I agree with your daughter, I think they are goards.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2009
8:44 PM

Post #6919689

Don't look like gourds, probably a zuch crossed with something. The C.pepo family is very promiscuous. Where did you buy your plants, not all seed savers are very careful to get true seeds.
Texasroses
Marlin, TX

August 7, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6919698

The one on the right vaguely resembles a Striata squash. One sure way to find out--cut into it and taste it. Of course, if you haven't tasted raw zucchini before, that's of little help. Zucchini, even crosses, will have a very tender skin. Gourds don't.
You may have a whole new vegetable to brag about!
Jim41
Delhi, LA

August 7, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6919791

Hey Texas, been missing you.
Quyen
Orange, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 8, 2009
7:21 AM

Post #6921684

Their coloring is similar to the Mexican zucchinis that I've seen at the market but the shape is different. Probably a cross.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6922340

I bought the plants from the Alabama Farmers Co-op. They are from Bonnie Plants. There were 9 plants in the pack. There is one of each of these, and the other six are regular dark green zucchinis. I thought it interesting that there is one plant of each of these three colors.

All appear to have the same zucchini leaves and all of them are bush-type plants, not vining plants. They have very tender skin. I've only tasted one gourd and that was years ago. That one tasted like nothing at all -- like eating paper. These have a very nice flavor, very mild, very zucchini-like, and when I cut them open they look like zucchini.

What would zucchini cross with? Scalloped squash?

Karen

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2009
3:33 PM

Post #6922539

Zucchini wil cross with straightnecks, crooknecks, scallops, some pumpkins and other winter squash. The only zuke Bonnie lists is Black Beauty so they must have messed up somewhere.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6922909

Yep, six of them were Black Beauty. All nine were supposed to be. If I save some of the seeds from them, would I get the same thing or something completely different? Could be interesting since they do taste good.

Karen
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6923077

Difficult to say. They cross pollinate readily.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6925874

I'll just enjoy my mystery zucchini then. Thank you for your help.

Karen
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6927924

My vote: Incompletely pollinated zucchini. Should be great on the grill. :)
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6933920

feldon30,

Incompletely pollinated zucchini?? Each of these came from a different plant. It's as if they are three different types of squash.

Karen

foodgardener
Los Angeles, CA

October 5, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #7137544

I agree they look like the Mexican Zucchinis that I've seen too, especially the one on the left. It would be interesting if you took the seeds to see what would come from them. :)
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 6, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #7140626

Shortly after I took that photo the plants died from too much water as did all my other squash plants. It rained and rained here all summer, ruining nearly everything in the garden, especially the squash and tomatoes. I was going to save seeds from the next ones I got, but there were no next ones.

Karen

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2009
3:36 AM

Post #7153654

They look like they crossed with a watermelon. Is that possible?
Lisa
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 11, 2009
11:03 PM

Post #7158942

Hi Lisa,

I don't think so. Definitely some kind of crossing among squashes. When I cut into them they looked sort of like zucchini but the seeds were really small. They tasted like zucchini and were good eating.

Karen

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2009
3:39 AM

Post #7159899

Well, good eating is all that matters
mariannebags
sydney (menai)
Australia

January 5, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #7429707

hi, Feldon 30 was meaning, i think, that not much pollen had gottn to them so without lots of seeds they didn't grow too big. They look a lot like the italian/ maltese zuccini that is good for stuffing, especially with that skin colour.
Crossing only occurs within species , so can cross with water melon or guord, or even hard skinned type of pumpkin, but if these zuccini bushes are distinct from the others, I'd ssay its a cross. If you want to hand pollinate then use a paper or cloth bag to exclude, you be able to breed that variety. Make sure you use male flowers from the same throw back type of plant and let the fruit get really big, the skin will go very hard. have fun.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America