Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Let's Talk About Garden 'Themes'!

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 35, Views: 339
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6920820

I saw this mentioned on another forum (can't remember where) and thought i'd bring the discussion here.

How many of you garden by a theme? do you garden by a certain color theme, by genre like 'fairy' garden, 'tropical' garden, or my favorite... 'Gothic' garden. or perhaps you garden by size.. like Shrub garden or Ground covers?

lets talk about them, why you garden this way or what ideas you have.. no matter how impossible they may seem, this is a great way to spark the creativity and share ideas!

perhaps you've always wanted a 'japanese' garden, or an 'Egyptian' inspired theme? Garden fantasies are wonderful... so tell me, if money werent an obstacle.. how would YOUR garden grow?
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6922668

I have always wanted to garden by color but I don't know what happens. I see a black spot of soil and I have to fill it with.

My plan was to do sections of different color combinations. I would love to do a blue, yellow and white garden, then the next section might be red white and blue. Does that sound weird? One more thing I would love to do is dwarf conifers, with heaths and heathers.
Rose
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6923166

know whats weird.. is I have always wondered what a 'spectrum' bed would really look like...

take one long rectangular flower bed.. start at one end and begin with red... groundcover, medium plant, tall plant with red flowers... then go down the spectrum... so that the entire bed resembles a prism... red, orange yellow, green, blue, violet... i think that would be awesome.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2009
7:23 PM

Post #6923246

I always do a splish splash theme. I think those are the most beautiful of all .The only one that isn't like that is my hosta bed and it will most likely be changed next year. I love the mixture of all colors.
BrightStar
Chesapeake, VA

August 9, 2009
8:15 PM

Post #6926985

Sometimes I daydream about a garden with a toy train weaving among the plants...
seray53

August 9, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6927032

I like theme gardens best I think. When I lived in FL I had the whole back acre planted in different types of gingers. I think I had about 20 cultivars. It was partially shady and I put beds of gingers under each clump of oaks and then added orchids in all the branches. I think it was my favorite area. It had beautiful color and wonderful fragrance all summer.

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6927214

Oh BrightStar. I just read about a place that had did that. I believe it was from Hostas Direct. It was about a man and woman that set out miniture train and then build their flower gardens around it. It showed pictures and all. Was so neat. The hostas looked like trees and they even had homes ,stores and all. Just a regular minture town so to speak.
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6927352

Here is just a piece of the article I was talking about and the names of the people

Mini Hosta Gardens
Marcia Fluer, former Twin Cities reporter/anchor and University executive and her actor husband, Phil Ross, have turned their backyard into a railroad garden. It features dozens of miniature hostas, alpine plants and hand-crafted village houses, businesses and townspeople. They call it the "Big Buck and Chipmunk Short Line Railroad" and say it's a "Golden Valley wonder." Thanks Marcia and Phil for the fun visit that Laura, Joe and I had and also for allowing us to share your creation on our website! Very, very cool and original!

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2009
10:10 AM

Post #6933636

I use to have a heart shaped bed that I did in candy named plants. Got rid of it beacuse it was a pain to mow around but now I think I'll do a heart inside of another bed and do it in "chocolate" flowers...chocolate scented,chocolate colored,chocolate or some type of candy in the name.

I drove passed a little rural church up the road the other day and started speculating on what kind of plants you could use in a christian theme...all I could come up with was:dogwood,passion flower and crown of thorns.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2009
10:45 AM

Post #6933660

... and Angel's Trumpet, Peace Lily, Jacobs Ladder, Angel Wings, Triumph Tulips, Easter lily, Christmas Cactus, Resurrection Lily

This message was edited Aug 11, 2009 6:48 AM
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2009
10:53 AM

Post #6933672

there ya go
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6951217

Anyone looking for an Iris garden Theme?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1027627/
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6953761

wouldnt a garden full of Brugmansia and Datura be woooonderful???
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6953784

Irises are a great theme all colors one of each or two of each heck might as well make it three of each http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1027627/

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6953866

Yup - I think now I will have me an Iris garden!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 16, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #6953882

Yes Kelly you now have a themed garden of Irises!!!
ptilda
Spooner, WI

August 16, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6954020

The problem I find with plant-specific themes (iris, daylilies, etc) is that its boring when not in bloom.

I have a "Gnome" garden around a tree stump with a miniature door attached to make a Gnome Home. the path leading from his door to the rest of the garden is newly lined with mini hostas & other small plants. I'll post pics when I get home.

I also am working on a "fragrant" theme, and might make a garden of just that.

there's also a theme of "edible ornaments" through my gardens, including berries, herbs, and edible flowers.

Finally, I'm puting in a patriotic garden in honor of my father, who was a veteran of the US army.

At some point, I'd love to do a "weird" garden of funny-looking & unusual plants.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2009
10:01 PM

Post #6954031

There are alot of plants with varieties that flower in different seasons, ie; spring, summer, mid summer, late summer and fall. a bed with these types of plants.. say daylilies would visually interesting if planted with bulbs that flower at intervals.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
2:21 AM

Post #6959145

New Auction
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028009/
ptilda
Spooner, WI

August 18, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6959439

Pictures of my Gnome Home:

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac152/ptilda/Gnome%20Home/
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2009
4:33 AM

Post #6959564

That is so cute ptilda.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2009
11:23 AM

Post #6960002

ptilda, thats cute!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6960025

A new creative friend yeah!!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6964848

If I had money...

Id buy the 6 wooded lots (3 on either side of the street) and convert them into community native flower gardens.. yup yup.. I would...

complete with ponds, benches, arbors, flowers, native vegetables and fruits...

.. but this is only my dream. i wish there were more 'community' gardens in every neighborhood.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2009 7:47 AM
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2009
11:42 AM

Post #6967777

I sent you a dream mobile so you are dreaming now LOL What would this world be if we didn't dream.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6974399

Me too I keep thinking the same thing myself there should be one everywhere!!
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2009
8:12 PM

Post #7013885

Some time ago, I saw an article and photo of a walking garden that I think was in another country and supposedly as you walked around the garden path you wouldn't see the same thing twice. I think the article said if you walked around the garden once or twice you would have covered a mile. Wish I had saved that link because the more I think of it, the more I want to do something like that. I tried to do a Google search, but couldn't find the article. I'm sure I got there through a link here in Dave's Garden, but I have scoured this site looking for it again, but no luck. By chance, does anyone know what I'm referring to?

Anyway, a walking garden would be my choice for a theme.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #7014637

Do you remember where it was?
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #7026934

The UK rings a bell, but it could have been elsewhere.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #7026963

http://www.trenthamleisure.co.uk/gardens.html
Is it this one?
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 5, 2009
1:40 PM

Post #7028089

I've always wanted to do a spectrum garden too. I'm such a fan of loads of color, and dramatic contrasts, I've had a tough time implementing such a plan, but love pics I've seen of monochromatic plantings. My plan is a circular garden surrounding our fire pit, with a yellow section, bleeding into an orange area, to red, purple, blue, green, and white. That way I don't have to decide which color to use, LOL.

Also have always been a fan of the idea of a Moon Garden, and decided to make it what I call my Sky Garden- all in blue, white, and yellow, sky, clouds, and sun colors. It's one of my favorite color combinations, and this year has really started coming into its own. Now the Daturas, Moon vines, Cosmos, and African Foxgloves (all white) are blooming profusely, and the night time show (and smell) is wonderful! I'd really like to get some white 4 O'clocks going in there too.

A member in the Lily forum is doing a naughty garden, with Lilies with names like 'Mistress' and 'Shocking'

I also have a memory garden in honor of my friend, Janice, who lived in this house (and died here) before we moved in. Her signature colors were purples, blues, and mauves, and she loved silver. She was a huge fan of fragrant flowers, especially roses and Oriental Lilies, and had a great love of herbs. She had started a garden at the entrance with Lavender and some Lilies and Hyacinths, so I've just expanded upon what she started.

frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #7033618

arejay,
Thanks for checking, but no the Trentham Leisure Gardens isn't the one I saw. It was much smaller and kind of a figure 8 walking path. Gosh, this driving me crazy! I appreciate you searching for it.
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
10:28 PM

Post #7033639

arejay,
I should clarify that it isn't a figure 8, it just might resemble it.
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #7033681

Eureka! I found the diagram I made of what the walking path looks like. The pathway is modeled after the one I saw on the website, only it's not to scale because I don't really know how to do that. I do know that I want the paths to be at least 4' wide to accommodate 2 ppl walking side by side. I don't even know if all the plants I have listed on the diagram will even fit. It's just a dream, but I want to start somewhere.

Thumbnail by frausnow
Click the image for an enlarged view.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #7034173

frausnow - that is a way cool diagram. I'd love to see that garden in action.

Kelly
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #7036651

I would grow heath and heathers, if I could>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America