Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marsinger4
Atlanta, GA

August 8, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6922454

Hi all, I have a tiny little half bath that I want to paint. The rest of my house is in shades of purple, and I wanted something really different for this bath. What I thought I'd do is paint the walls bright white with an eggshell finish, then with a glossy black I'd paint flower outlines with large stencils. I'd accent the flowers with small touches of glossy red. Finally, I thought I'd put the same glossy red I used to accent the flowers on the ceiling, but to create a stepped effect I thought I'd paint the outer edge of the ceiling exactly the same red, but the middle of it one shade darker. Any thoughts?
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

August 8, 2009
3:40 PM

Post #6922567

Sherwin Williams has some really beautiful shades of light pearly grey. Some are 'purple plum' based greys and others more of the 'red plum' based. I like your idea for a more graphic look for the small bath - the white, black, and red are always great together. But for a small bath -in a house that features purples, I'd go for the softest pale grey ..a darker silver stencil for the flowers and maybe a more browned/red than the glossy red for the accents. If I was as brave as I think I am...I'd do the entire ceiling in that same soft satin silver.

Post photos when you get done whatever you do - I'd love to see how your bath came out.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6931723

I think the darker red on the ceiling would make the room feel much smaller. I do like your color ideas though.

greersfolly

greersfolly
New Smyrna Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6967154

I took a look at a free color wheel site and this is one of the color options they recommended to go with purple. Perhaps teal for the wall color with purple and gold/orange for the graphics. Using the gold on the ceiling in different hues would not be as dark as the red. Also, you could always use these same colors in lighter tints such as going towards the pastels in the same color families to keep a small room feeling larger.

http://www.sessions.edu/ilu/ilu_1.asp

You have to move the color wheel to purple to see the correct combination.

This message was edited Aug 19, 2009 10:27 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America