-
AuthorContent
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6924811

Do any of you grow Moringa Trees? Moringa trees are fast growing, incredibly nutritious, have more than 500 medicinal uses, can provide cooking oil, lubricants, fuel oil. I have seeds if you are interested.

http://www.treesforlife.org/our-work/our-initiatives/moringa

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MoringaTrees/

Jackie
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #6924987

We know this tree as a "drumstick tree". The young see pods, or "drumsticks" are delicious in sambhar. They are availabe as a frozen vegetable in the markets here. I haven't seen any fresh drumsticks offered though, which is interesting.
saltmarsh
Water Valley, MS
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2009
6:11 AM

Post #6925164

Jackie, you have dmail.
Claud
saltmarsh
Water Valley, MS
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2009
3:02 PM

Post #6942198

Jackie
I look forward to getting the seeds. Your thread has had a number of people looking at it. Must be some lurkers about. I think I'll try treating some of the moringas as an annual. Use the leaves like spinach and in salads, and dried for tea. I'll try to overwinter them inside and plant them out next spring along with more seed to see how they do here with a full growing season. I'm going to top them at 3 to 4 feet and trim the branches back to 1 foot when they reach 2 feet in length to make them more bushy and compact. Then I'll eat what I've trimmed off. Maybe others will try it this way.
Claud
johnnystrauss77

November 11, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8886640

The moringa plant is fast to mature and its leaves are readily harvested every 45 days, the tree quick to regrow them and continue its vigorous growth. Moringa leaves are packed full of protein, vitamins, minerals, co-enzymes, and antioxidants. Moringa leaves can be used in salads, cooked as a leafy green, used as moringa tea, or dried and pulverized for capsules. Itís best product for hair and weight loss as per my friends reference because they are trying their oil and pills for better health.

http://www.maxtransformation.com/

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8886876

I have never heard of it and do not recognize it. I doubt it would grow here as we are not subtropical. Thanks for sharing the info.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America